Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

LokiTorrent caves to MPAA

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

LokiTorrent caves to MPAA

Postby Malicious Intent » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:35 pm

LokiTorrent fed the torrent hunger of 680,000 active registered members and dealt with 1.8 million hits per day. They were the only website to stand and fight the MPAA after the pre-Christmas shutdowns. Or so the community, who donated $40,000 legal aid, thought.

Either $40, 000 is not enough to fight, or the <a href=http://www.mpaa.org target="_blank">MPAA</a> have given Edward Webber, the site owner, a better offer.

“This website has been permanently shut down by court order because it facilitates the illegal downloading of copyrighted motion pictures,” an <a href=http://www.lokitorrent.com target="_blank">MPAA notice</a> on Lokitorrent.com now reads.

Torrentstop, LokiTorrent's lighter sister which is also run by Webber, displays the same notice.

Sources close to Webber have confirmed that the shutdown by the MPAA is permanent. The case will not go to trail. No more information is available at this stage due to a court gagging order.

Serious questions remain as to what will happen to the thousands of dollars donated by users. Online rights group, the EFF, had previously predicted that the MPAA would make an attractive offer involving the money.

Hollywood has a record of avoiding the difficulties of proving their victims guilty. As a substitute, they intimidate both P2P users and leaders by making offers which can not be refused.

Webber’s intention to stand and fight have been under scrutiny since the website was found <a href=http://www.sedo.com/search/details.php4?domain=lokitorrent.com&language=us target="_blank">for sale</a> on US Netco SEDO, complete with the details of 680, 000 active members. Webber claimed to be <a href=http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=647 target="_blank">testing</a> the water, saying he did not mean to cause a stir.

The loss is another blow to BitTorrent, and file sharing as a whole, which has lost many of the main P2P websites over the last few months. Nonetheless, it is a community which has survived the loss of SuprNova and Youceff, returning virtually <a href=http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=649 target="_blank">unscathed</a> on the other side.
Malicious Intent

Postby jimilarue » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:44 pm

I knew that guy was a snake when he posted his website for sale.

I'm glad i didn't donate any cash to this clown.

hey i guess you can't knock the hustle......hahaha He living it up with a house probably almost paid off. Good stuff!!!

YOU GUYS GOT PUNKED!!!
jimilarue

Postby DepecheNode » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:46 pm

Hmm... well, Lowkee is at least 80K ahead of the game... 40+K in cash and 40+K he didn't need to spend. I wonder how much he took from the MP@@ to post that BS splash page?

BTW... in his interview, he said he had the same lawyer as Shoutcast. Isn't Shoutcast defended by AOL in-house council, still?
DepecheNode

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:52 pm

He used that money to buy his way out of trouble. Along with a plea bargin (thats how I take it) to help turn over the users of the site. I told him in the Loki forums I thought thats what he was trying to do and thats just what he did.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby IH » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:00 pm

Buying himself out of trouble is only part of it. He sold out. Lokitorrent was highly commercialized, and had legalese user agreement longer than MPAA's.

isoHunt.com's little press release:
http://isohunt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10235
IH

Postby ROCKAMANIAC » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:09 pm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/10/loki_down_mpaa/

MPAA Closes Loki:

One of the only BitTorrent hubs willing to battle the major movie studios has been shut down by Hollywood.

A notice from the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) has gone up on LokiTorrent, saying a court order has grounded the site. "You can click but you can't hide," the notice reads. "There are websites that provide legal downloads. This is not one of them." The site's operator gave into the MPAA despite vowing to fight the studios with other people's money.

"The operator of that site, Edward Webber, agreed to not only pay a substantial settlement with even greater financial penalties for any further such actions, but by Court Order must provide the MPAA with access to and copies of all logs and server data related to his illegal BitTorrent activities, which will provide a roadmap to others who have used LokiTorrent to engage in illegal activities," the MPAA said in a statement.

LokiTorrent had been one of the only major BitTorrent hubs to stay up and running after the MPAA sent out a flood of lawsuits. The hubs serve as meeting grounds for file-traders looking to pick up software, music, movies and other content.

LokiTorrent had raised more than $40,000 from its fan base to help its legal battle against the MPAA. It's unclear if that money went straight to the MPAA. LokiTorrent has not responded to a request for comment.

The Loki shutdown comes as the MPAA filed a second round of lawsuits against BitTorrent and eDonkey site operators. Netcraft earlier today reported that LokiTorrent went offline - apparently just the MPAA took it over. ®

The Register
By Ashlee Vance in San Diego
Published Thursday 10th February 2005
ROCKAMANIAC

Postby method77 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:10 pm

jimilarue wrote:I knew that guy was a snake when he posted his website for sale.

I'm glad i didn't donate any cash to this clown.

hey i guess you can't knock the hustle......hahaha He living it up with a house probably almost paid off. Good stuff!!!

YOU GUYS GOT PUNKED!!!
I hate to agree but I do
method77

Postby Kalper » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:11 pm

I posted this somewhere else, but it is just as pertinent here.

If they did settle out of court, that peeves me off for the following reasons-

1. They said they would fight for lokitorrent. But instead, they caved in.
2. Those legal funds were given in good faith to defend lokitorrent. Instead, they used them to pay off the MPAA.
3. Those funds are currently greasing the palms of movie industry executives rather than defence lawyers. Donators to the fund just made the MPAA richer.
4. If they fought and won, there would have been a legal precedent to protect bt sites. Now we still don't even know if they would have won.
5. No news so far from lokitorrent's admin on what happened.
6. They were the only ones to put themselves forward as defenders of the bt cause while everyone else folded like dominos. They took money, and then folded like dominos.
7. They didn't clear out the tracking data of the site and now the freshly cashed up MPAA anti piracy division have funds and new people to sue.
8. The legal defence fund was used as a get-out-of-jail card instead of a legal defence.

I'm glad I didn't donate to that fund. If I did, I would be howling for blood.
Kalper

Postby Tech N9ne » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:12 pm

I never trully trusted Lokitorrent, nor did I ever use it.

In the end it really doesn't prove anything. People are still going to download. All this really does is give us P2P people something to talk about.
Tech N9ne

uh oh

Postby rm999 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:13 pm

wow, this is a big loss for the bit torrent community. Loki sold out a lot of people (he is giving the mpaa all the logs of his website, which will likely screw over many users of the site). I wonder what is going to happen with the money. Hopefully someone will track him down and equalize his karma :)
rm999

wow... that legal defense was soooo good...

Postby shulkman » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:15 pm

I'll be very interested to see what the next interview says after this little developement. I'm assuming that Tom is already scheduling that appt. It will be interesting to see where that money is. While I am giving Lowkee the benefit of the doubt, I can't help but have this vision of Lowkee and Sloncek sitting in the beach on whatever island Swarm Systems is located on, margaritas in hand, laughing their butts off. I believe at the very least there should be an accounting of where this money is. The reason I had not donated yet was because I wasn't seeing any news as to where the money was going, and when the story came out of the site being for sale, it sealed the deal. I'm not sure what average donations were per day before the story of the sale vs. after but just looking at the little graph when I was online, I wasn't seeing much movement. Lowkee may have realized he wasn't going to ever get anymore "substantial" donations.

Also, what good will the logs do? Just because the .torrent file was downloaded, doesn't mean that the copyrighted file was downloaded, so it cannot be used as proof of guilt. But knowing the RIAA/MPAA/Gestapo they'll use it to their advantage.

And is it just me or is the timing of Lokitorrent coinciding just perfectly with the new CY-junk free version of Exeem?
Last edited by shulkman on Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shulkman

dAME

Postby Mikay D » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:17 pm

Dam Thats fucked up but like home boy said you can't knock the hustle and on the real

but he did do some bitch shit for real but u cant knock it but then again u can it would had been cool if he just took the money and ran but he dident have to turn over his logs that just like sitchin but what ever he dident get a dime from me i knew that shit was fake how the hell are u going to fight off the MPAA with $40,000 my ass u couldent fight off my momma for $40,ooo lol
Mikay D

Postby Psycho Ced » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:22 pm

Well I never used Loki..but I feel sorry for those who have been recorded. This hurts those who gave their money.

I guess the time for a REAL trackerless/serverless bittorrent protocal is needed.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:26 pm

I'll be very interested to see what the next interview says after this little developement. I'm assuming that Tom is already scheduling that appt.

I really have no way to get in touch with him now the MPAA took over his site. Im sure whatever email is sent to that domain goes right to the MPAA...
SlyckTom

Postby cheese » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:26 pm

stupid shit is giving ACTIVITY LOGS so that the mpaa and riaa can see who d/led and sue them. BACKSTABBAZ!
...bring da noise...
cheese

Postby jimilarue » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:27 pm

Man I wonder, Who actually gave up some serious dough???? PEople had to donate like $1000 or $20. Damn If i have to start shelling out cash like that or even if i could afford to shell at cash like that, I would just buy the got damn videos and cds. I download cause im broke and I wouldnt buy the stuff if i didnt have high speed. People who can actually donate some dough for this shyt need to buying it anyways and leave the downloading for the poor people like myself.
jimilarue

Postby jms1408 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:31 pm

So he caved in and gave the MPAA all the information on users too. What a loser. At least I never uploaded files to the site :) . But still now you gotta be careful of other sites that require a login in case this happens to them.
Last edited by jms1408 on Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jms1408

Postby jimilarue » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:32 pm

jms1408 wrote:So he caved in and gave the MPAA all the information on users too. What a loser.

I'm sure that info was not for free. Homeboy got ateast 50 stacks out the deal.
jimilarue

Postby jms1408 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:36 pm

Scary thought...
jms1408

Postby shulkman » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:38 pm

SlyckTom wrote:
I'll be very interested to see what the next interview says after this little developement. I'm assuming that Tom is already scheduling that appt.

I really have no way to get in touch with him now the MPAA took over his site. Im sure whatever email is sent to that domain goes right to the MPAA...

Bummer, I figure at the very least there should be an explanation owed to us. Shouldn't take long to get a home number for this fella... LOL.
shulkman

Postby poles_apart » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:38 pm

yep china seems to be where it's at now.
Poor guy must have been scared shitless though. Maybe the MPAA's torrent (sorry) of lawyers convinced him that it was either give up everything or get get locked up and still give up everything. I don't think many people would face certain ruin in favour of a week's flaming on forums like this.
poles_apart

Postby jms1408 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:44 pm

Advice to the next sites taken to court: SHUT DOWN before selling out all the users! If you can't win the case give up.
jms1408

Postby rednimer » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:46 pm

Its messed up that he caved after telling everyone that he was going to fight, but then to hand the logs over is another thing.

Im sure he had his reasons to cave though. He wouldnt have had enough money to fight those guys. With all of their money they would have just stayed in court untill Lowkee was broke.
rednimer

Postby Assyrian » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:52 pm

so what if the RIAA have got logs of which person downloaded the .torrent file, doesnt mean you actually downloaded the actual file from that .torrent
maybe they can actually do something about those who uploaded and those who donated. because then they'll ask them questions like "why did u donate for" or "why upload all these torrents?"
but those who downloaded can just say it was an accident/wrong click lol, but yeh people dont be frightened. just becareful next time on which website to register on and where to upload. and also dont donate any money. i never used lokitorrent, but i did see many of there files posted on other bittorrent websites.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:52 pm

This really screws over any site that did plan to fight the MPAA via user donations...

Everyone loses with this :(
SlyckTom

Next

Return to Slyck News