Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

eXeem Drops Cydoor

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

eXeem Drops Cydoor

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:25 am

When SuprNova closed its doors on December 19, 2004, many believed this event spelled the end of BitTorrent. Quickly capitalizing on this panic, news began to spread regarding the advent of a new decentralized BitTorrent effort named "eXeem." Curiosity and anticipation over this purportedly revised BitTorrent protocol began sweeping P2P forums.

However, the initial buzz that surrounded eXeem would ultimately give away to disappointment. News quickly began to circulate that <a href=http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=1472 target="_blank">Cydoor</a> would accompany this client. Cydoor is a thrid party advertising program designed send targeted advertising to the end user. From Cydoor's privacy policy:

"Please be aware that Cydoor advertisers or Web sites that have links in software on our network may utilize demographic information about you. This privacy statement does not cover the information practices of those Web sites linked from software on the Cydoor Network. From time to time, Cydoor works with third-party ad servers such as Valueclick, Commission Junction, Adventures, Advertising.com, RealMedia and BeFree and others to serve advertising to the Cydoor Network. Please visit these providers individually to learn more about how they handle privacy."

In a nutshell, let's say an individual frequents sports related websites. Cydoor collects this information, and targets sports related advertising to the individual.

While Cydoor is not as evil as it once was, its less than desirable reputation precedes it. Let's put it this way, if Cydoor were to change its focus and become a non-profit charity, no one would accept their money.

The decision to add Cydoor to eXeem has indisputable harmed the release of this client. Few people were willing to accept the fact that it was necessary to add this third party software, let alone actually use the program. The decision to add Cydoor has damaged the reputation of Swarm Systems (eXeem developers) and Sloncek, the former administrator of SuprNova.org. Even before the public release of eXeem, spyware-free "eXeem Lite" was circulating around the Internet.

However, after a week of ridicule and torment, it appears Swarm Systems and Sloncek are trying to repair the situation. Today on the eXeem.com homepage, it has been announced that third party software will no longer accompany eXeem:

"eXeem Public Beta version 0.21 has been released. Most of the bug fixes were done to the network system (nodes). We have also fixed the search crash bug. We added a stop function to new files and we are testing out html type of ads in the program. In this release you will not get any mandatory third party software installed with eXeem."

While some may say "too little too late", it does appear Swarm Systems and Sloncek are trying to make things right. As an interesting side note, eXeem is the first P2P client pressured by the file-sharing community to rid itself of mandatory third party software.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby nms04 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:31 am

yahoooo good news!! thx tom ... but it seems like this will be the end for exeem lite :(
nms04

Woot!

Postby Doktor_Schadenfreude » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:47 am

Yay,

Ding, dong the witch is dead, the witch is dead, the witch is dead.

Ding, dong the witch...

Erm, ahem. :) Well good news, eh?

We now return to your regular programming...

Doc :oops:
Pants first, then shoes...
Doktor_Schadenfreude

Postby Allied » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:05 am

While Cydoor is not as evil as it once was, its less than desirable reputation precedes it. Let's put it this way, if Cydoor were to change its focus and become a non-profit charity, no one would accept their money.

lol

I would love to see the chat logs or forum posts where this was discussed. How did they arrive at this conclusion. Was there an argument. Were the programmers just so stunned by the reaction to Cydoor that they got rid of it to save their own reputations.

...I wonder if adds will show up on eXeem.com now?
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby DaBlade » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:29 am

Too late to back out from profit now Andrej. You've already gotten a shitty reputation, and you're as good as SharePro when it comes to P2P now. You shouldn't have added spyware in the beginning. Perhaps even opened the source code. But nooo...Andrej must have his precious euros.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby squirm » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:39 am

This is good news, but for many the first time impressions will last for a long time. They should have never included it.
squirm

Postby Variant » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:52 am

probably just keep it out for a couple of releases .. then when 1.0 comes out or whatever ..... and everyone is hooked , they will slip it in ..

im not buying it.
VIVA LA USENET

:wink:
Variant

Postby AussieMatt » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:53 am

Just hope some programers will try a open source implimentation of somthing like Exceem where there are projects like Kenosis and trackerBT it could just be a matter of time that Distributed Bittoerent is the norm.

http://kenosis.sourceforge.net/
http://www.alhem.net/project/trackerbt/
AussieMatt

Postby lordfoul » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:55 am

Good. It bodes well for the future of P2P clients; let this be a lesson to developers to keep it clean. As for the client while not a choice for myself I am sure it will attract users; users who are now safe from cydoor. :)
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby Ya Ma Yee » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:17 pm

I actually think they did the right thing. I will give the client another chance.
Ya Ma Yee

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:25 pm

Good article as usual.

But straight to the point...(my opinion of course)

eXeem + Cydoor = Sh!t
eXeem - Cydoor = Sh!t
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby Drake » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:32 pm

It's a good step forward. Now they need to address fake files. If they can add a layer on top of eXeem that will somehow allow trusted users to post verified links, eXeem would take off.
Drake

Postby DaBlade » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:33 pm

Unbiased_Opinion wrote:
eXeem + Cydoor = Sh!t
eXeem - Cydoor = Sh!t

I concur. Just another shitty proprietary P2P app. :evil:

DaBlade

Postby AussieMatt » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:39 pm

Theres a way to make money in p2p that doesnt involve making your app full of Adware or spyware .If you seed your network with Weed files you can make money and so can your users .Yes its a form of DRM but its DRM done fairly .You can listen or watch to the file 3 times before the DRM kicks in and they are reasonably priced .Weed also gives users a $5 credit to get started .

At the moment they are only in windows format but linux and mac versions are being developed .

The Artist gets 50% of the Sale ,Weed Gets 15% and 35% of the sale gets divided up between the Content providers and file sharers

Heres how things get divided up for content providers and sharers
1st Generation - Content Provider gets 35% of the total Sale
2nd Generation - Content Proveder gets 15% of the Sale ,the Sharer who sells it to another user gets 20% of the sale
3rd Generation - Content Provider gets 5% of the sale the sharer in the 2nd generation gets 10% and the 3rd Generation seller gets 20%
After the 3rd genertaion sale of this file you dont get any more commision

Its a good way to keep the **AA's happy if they are willing to put thier content on your network or you make money off the independant artists who cant get on iTunes and other online sales chanells becuse of contracts ect.

http://www.weedshare.com/?src=getweedified_topNav
http://www.weedshare.com/web/faq.html?src=home_topNav
AussieMatt

Postby DaBlade » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:58 pm

NO, NO, NO, NO!
No paying in P2P! Media should be free. If I download a ogg file, I wanna be able to use it any time I please, and as many times as I want. DRM is shit. All forms of DRM are shit. :evil:

DaBlade

Postby notbob » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:03 pm

AussieMatt wrote:Theres a way to make money in p2p that doesnt involve making your app full of Adware or spyware .If you seed your network with Weed files you can make money and so can your users .Yes its a form of DRM but its DRM done fairly .You can listen or watch to the file 3 times before the DRM kicks in and they are reasonably priced .Weed also gives users a $5 credit to get started .

At the moment they are only in windows format but linux and mac versions are being developed .

The Artist gets 50% of the Sale ,Weed Gets 15% and 35% of the sale gets divided up between the Content providers and file sharers

Heres how things get divided up for content providers and sharers
1st Generation - Content Provider gets 35% of the total Sale
2nd Generation - Content Proveder gets 15% of the Sale ,the Sharer who sells it to another user gets 20% of the sale
3rd Generation - Content Provider gets 5% of the sale the sharer in the 2nd generation gets 10% and the 3rd Generation seller gets 20%
After the 3rd genertaion sale of this file you dont get any more commision

Its a good way to keep the **AA's happy if they are willing to put thier content on your network or you make money off the independant artists who cant get on iTunes and other online sales chanells becuse of contracts ect.

http://www.weedshare.com/?src=getweedified_topNav
http://www.weedshare.com/web/faq.html?src=home_topNav

unfortunately, it forces you to have xp, use windows media player, ie, etc

closed systems suck
notbob

Postby cantbearsed » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:05 pm

the p2p program is still shit.

its just kazaa 1.1
cantbearsed

Postby Drake » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:09 pm

AussieMatt wrote:Yes its a form of DRM but its DRM done fairly .You can listen or watch to the file 3 times before the DRM kicks in and they are reasonably priced .Weed also gives users a $5 credit to get started .

You call that fair? The DRM that Weedshare uses is very restrictive and I'm really surprised that someone who supports anonymous p2p would buy into this crap.

AussieMatt wrote:Its a good way to keep the **AA's happy if they are willing to put thier content on your network or you make money off the independant artists who cant get on iTunes and other online sales chanells becuse of contracts ect.

When you buy music, it should come without restrictions. Weedshare is garbage, just like Napster and every other service that infests music files with DRM.

If someone really wants to pay for music files their best options are the 2 Russian services that allow you to pick the bitrate of the files. These services do not use any form of DRM either.
Drake

Postby Psycho Ced » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:34 pm

LMAO

Cydoor was the least of exeems problems scince there was a lite version floating around. This program still does not do it for me. Anyways only time will tell. Though it seems they are resorting to trustyfile tactics.

@AussieMatt; Are you for real? Did you not read how this technology can cause more harm then good? Thanx to M$ copyrighted WMV files hackers can redirect you to sites that install viruses, trogans and other malware.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby lordfoul » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:53 pm

DaBlade wrote:NO, NO, NO, NO!
No paying in P2P! Media should be free. If I download a ogg file, I wanna be able to use it any time I please, and as many times as I want. DRM is shit. All forms of DRM are shit. :evil:

I wouldn't change a word. No paying in P2P! should be our motto.
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Here's my opinion on buying

Postby lubczyk » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:55 pm

At this point in time I think of P2P as try before you buy.

Look if I'm going to pay oh let's say $10.00 a month I expect to be able to get:

1. Full DVD images with no restrictions (no crappy Divx, Xvid, Nero 1 CD rips).
2. Full CD cda files with no restrictions (No mp3s wmvs ogg, et cetera).
3. All these things at a discounted price.

And this is why:

1. I have to use my internet connection to download these things that may take a few days or up to a week.

2. I have to use my own media and hardware to burn it (which is not professioanl btw).

3. There is no return policy.

These are things I will not pay for:

1. Crappy 1 cd rips of movies in Divx 5 format, Xvid, or Nero Digital or music in mp3, ogg, wma format. (The quality does not compare to the original).

2. Reason #1 forces me to use my own computer to play these things along with my own media to burn them.

3. DMR.

In conclusion, the reason I will not pay for p2p is that the quality never compares to the original DVD's, CDs and I have to use my own resources and time to get what I want.

If I want to pay for it, I can just use ebay or yahoo, or amazon:

1. Original Media at discounted prices.
2. The Media is shipped to you.
3. No DMR
lubczyk

Postby Mr. Alzheimer » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:27 pm

So eXeem is ditching Cydoor? Great! Now I think I'll actually try the program! :) As soon as possible, which means easter... :(

I still choose to believe Sloncec was against adding Cydoor in eXeem from the very beginning. I hardly think he has much to do with the actual program anyway, besides from making it famous. I think that's why Swarm Systems hired him, and not because of his programming skills. I could be wrong of course... (it has happened before)

Those weed-files sounds really good in theory. I wouldn't mind paying for my music at all, as long as its not by far as expensive as cds are at the moment, and I know that a fair portion of the money goes to the artists themselves. I didn't bother reading the entire page, though, so I don't know every little detail about them. There might be bad things about them which I don't know of...

@Psycho Ced: You seem to know a thing or two about Weedshare. How can they cause more harm than good?

I wonder... Maybe the industry could do similar things with video files and cd-images, even console games. That could be sweet, perhaps. :)

Download a movie, watch it one time for free, and then pay a small sum for it if you wish to keep it, or it will be deleted after watching. Would be more difficult with cd-images, though...
Mr. Alzheimer

Postby Gott » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:32 pm

As an interesting side note, eXeem is the first P2P client pressured by the file-sharing community to rid itself of mandatory third party software.

No it isn't ...

Why did Free Peers Inc. release a (still not really advertised) spyware- and avertisementfree (and cut down) of it's Gnutella Client?

http://www.bearshare.com/lite/

Did Vinnie all the sudden decide that spyware is evil?
No, he basically just wanted to be the first hit on Google if someone searches for a clean and free version of Bearshare ... now offering one himself that constantly reminds you how much better your results and downloads would be with Bearshare Pro (or the spyware-infested version of it).

This is similiar to Limewire which once contained Cydoor, too. While not remotely as evil as Bearshare, Limewire's Developer's decision to drop Cydoor wasn't a simple act of love.
Users simply don't accept spyware anymore and there are just way to many clean alternatives for them to choose from.

How is the decision to make eXeem Cydoor free different from the once above?

As an interesting sidenote:
eXeem is still one of the worst things that ever happened to Bittorrent and a shameless effort to cash in on Bittorrents (and Suprnova's former) popularity. With or without Cydoor, this is highly commercial application that is mainly driven by greed and not the idea of contributing to the Bittorrent community.
Gott

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:44 pm

Perhaps, but I dont remember too many people caring about BearShare...People do care about BitTorrent.

EDIT: Actually, BearShare still contains WhenUsave...
Last edited by SlyckTom on Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlyckTom

Postby DaBlade » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:04 pm

Gott wrote:
As an interesting sidenote:
eXeem is still one of the worst things that ever happened to Bittorrent and a shameless effort to cash in on Bittorrents (and Suprnova's former) popularity. With or without Cydoor, this is highly commercial application that is mainly driven by greed and not the idea of contributing to the Bittorrent community.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

DaBlade

Next

Return to Slyck News