Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Just Snarf-it - A New BitTorrent Site

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Just Snarf-it - A New BitTorrent Site

Postby SlyckTom » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:34 am

For almost a week on the SuprNovaForums, news was circulating regarding a new BitTorrent site named Snarf-it.org. However, little substance was given to this news as its existence was left to speculation and hear-say. Finally, rumors gave away to fact as the Snarf-it.org BitTorrent site finally went online.

Snarf-it.org is being marketed for several reasons, including the all important popularity. Although Snarf-it.org has only existed a few days, over 350 releases have already been posted - not a bad start. While Snarf-it.org was publicized heavily through SuprNovaForums.net, it is important to make several distinctions: 1) SupnNovaForums.net has no affiliations with Sloncek, the administer of SuprNova.org, 2) Other than acting as a publicity vehicle, SuprNovaForums.net has no affiliation with Snarf-it.org. No administrator or moderator owns or developed Snarf-it.org. That distinction goes to "Snarfer", who took the time out to speak with Slyck.

"Snarf-it isn't connected to SuprNovaForums.net officially, there was some input from people there regarding the designing of our mascot Snarfy (the SNF graphics people are very talented) and also a lot of support from the admin, mods and VIP's there. Special mention has to go to FD, Snakey, and M@W who came up with the mascot idea, when FD told me about Snarfy and his story I laughed a lot, it was perfect."

Like many new entities that join the P2P world, speculation usually accompanies the unknown. The motivation of such a venture usually becomes a topic of heavy conversation, especially when new ventures suspiciously add third party advertising to an application. However, it appears the Snarf-it.org's intentions are to merely enhance the BitTorrent experience.

"...I hope that we will make a lot of people happy, we want to put some of the fun back into this, Snarfy is a great mascot and we plan on having a running story line of his adventures (he has already been seen "pimping it up" and sunning himself on a beach) hehe. As for the site, well I would like us to become the Google of the torrent world, we want to help get out the Linux distros and TV show torrents from a central point. We only encourage torrents of legal files and would like to take this opportunity to invite any company who thinks that Snarf-it is being used to infringe their copyright to email us and we will investigate."

Considering the level of MPAA/RIAA scrutiny existing in the file-sharing world, one may question the luminosity launching a new BitTorrent site. As many already know, once popular site such as Youceff Torrents was forced offline, while LokiTorrent faces an expensive legal battle. Despite this, Snarfer insists his site's main priority is legal torrent files. The geographical nature of his tracker, not to mention himself, plays an important role in his resistance of the MPAA and RIAA.

"I'm French and I live in Malaysia, however Snarf-it is based in China. I don't fear any reprisals from the **AA as we are doing nothing wrong, as stated before we will investigate any infringement alleged and if found remove the torrent. We will also possibly charge them a small fee for using our website for advertising without our consent."

As the situation revs up for Snarf-it.org, Snarfer tells us the site is doing well traffic-wise. As time moves on, the administrator of Snart-it plans on adding forums and other "non-conventional ideas" to the site. We can only imagine.

However, as more people come to the site, the expense of maintaining such an operation correlates directly. Snarfer tells us that eventually ads will have to be added to the site to ensure the site's existence, yet they will not be invasive nor diminish from the quality of the site.

"Well we hope to attract advertisers as soon as possible, we have space on all pages at present, we will not overload the page though so that it detracts from the site...I think with the amount of hits we are getting that it is a good place for people to see your product. We will not allow any ads that we deem to be inappropriate, Snarfy is a wholesome family friend not a penis extension seller (*shudders at the thought). Also only banners are available, no activeX controls or ads that may harm our users will be considered."

So there you have it - a new BiTorrent tracker site with the potential to become a significant player in the file-sharing world. How long Snarf-it.org - or any BitTorrent site - will exist remains an important question as the MPAA's crusade to eradicate this network is high on their priority list.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Assyrian » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:02 am

nice article tom, i was hopeing you'd mention snarfy just when i did :D

wish the site best of luck, looks like bittorrent will stay alive for a bit more longer now.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby ToM » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:09 am

Nice writeup Tom.

Sure, the **AAs might not be so wary of Snarfy, but Disney are sure to try and patent their creation. Infact, if you round its ears slightly, photoshop off the furr and do a quick edit, you can see that Snarfy is an obvious rip of Mickey Mouse. IMO, this could pose serious problems for the sites owner, as we all know how evil Disney are.
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby KhalidBoussouara » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:18 pm

This looks promising. Hopefully we won't have the problems with other torrent sites (mandatory registration where they keep detailed logs of what you download, corrupt admins selling out their community).

I encourage people to check this site out. The design is simplistic and hopefully the ads will be clean (no popups, etc).
KhalidBoussouara

Postby DaBlade » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:33 pm

Hah! I beat ya to it this time Tom! :lol: :lol:
http://p2pnet.net/story/3785 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby Moneoa » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:45 pm

Damn, last night I had waited till 1 am waiting for my questions to get answered but I was still beat to it,Thats where sleep gets you.

lol I was all giddy this moring when I finished it after getting the answers for my interveiw.

Ces't la vie :P
Moneoa

Postby DaBlade » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:52 pm

Moneoa: Are you Tom? :?

DaBlade

Postby Moneoa » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:57 pm

DaBlade wrote:Moneoa: Are you Tom? :?
No I am Bryan, I spearhead Zeropaid's News Section.
I had sent off an email to snarfer as soon as I had seen them online but the reply came in at 2 in the morning and I had to work this morning *Coughs and looks around*
Thats why I made the sleep comment :)
Moneoa

Postby Moneoa » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:59 pm

lol I just realised why you might have thought that when I read your post before mine :oops:

*brain fart*
Moneoa

Postby DaBlade » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:11 pm

Moneoa wrote:lol I just realised why you might have thought that when I read your post before mine :oops:

*brain fart*

lol yeah that was a little odd :lol:
Anyhow, I beat both you and Tom :P :lol:

DaBlade

Postby SlyckTom » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:13 pm

Good job DaBlade!
SlyckTom

Postby DaBlade » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:29 pm

Thanks. I was hoping you would get annoyed over being beaten :P

DaBlade

Postby SlyckChuck » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:33 pm

Still, it is a good story. Hopefully this new torrent site is part of the next evolution of p2p. :idea:
SlyckChuck

Postby nms04 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:28 pm

f**k the site is down :( but nice article and this blue "guy" looks realy sweet ;)
nms04

Postby Psycho Ced » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:39 pm

Tom is like the "good news man". Glade to see slonyc getting the boot. Without suprnova exeem wont last. Not like I care. Great article ST.

In the end it seems that owner of suprnova.org was just a fake as the owner of the other nova sites.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Spywhere » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:45 pm

Wow they went down fast :D
Spywhere

Postby nms04 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:06 pm

Spywhere wrote:Wow they went down fast :D

hehe yeah a bit too fast ;)
nms04

Postby SlyckTom » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:08 pm

Sounds like that Chris Rock skit..."grand opening, grand closing..."

Seriously though, they probably maxed their bandwidth already...
SlyckTom

Postby Joe_Rigby » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:09 pm

I'm saddened by this. :cry:
Joe_Rigby

Postby Cassavus » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:56 pm

indeed the site is down. toms probably right, the max out their bandwidth. wouldn't worry to much about it.
Cassavus

Postby Anonymous » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:28 pm

That didn't last very long! :?
Anonymous

Postby Assyrian » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:55 pm

they're going very good thats why they didnt last so long, just wait in queue and keep trying to get in the site :D
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby Spywhere » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:42 pm

Assyrian wrote:they're going very good thats why they didnt last so long, just wait in queue and keep trying to get in the site :D

...or I could download elsewhere :)
Spywhere

Postby laxpimpj » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:51 pm

Snarf-it is back online.

its snarf-it.com +.org + .net, btw.
laxpimpj

Postby Tech N9ne » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:46 pm

it's so great that it apparently doesn't even need to be online

:roll:
Tech N9ne

Next

Return to Slyck News