Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

BitTorrent Remains Powerhouse Network

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

BitTorrent Remains Powerhouse Network

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:04 pm

The month of December 2004, was an ill-fated month for BitTorrent. First, the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) began a worldwide campaign to eradicate BitTorrent and eDonke2000 indexing and listing sites. On the surface, the effort seemed successful as Youceff Torrent (BitTorrent), ShareConnector (ED2K) and many others were forced off line.

The second blow came on December 19, 2004, when Sloncek announced that SuprNova.org would discontinue its existence as a BitTorrent indexing site. Many feared this would spell the end of BitTorrent and the exchange of large files. The MPAA's plan is and was to eliminate or seriously damage the trading of movie files over the BitTorrent network.

After the initial success of placing fear into BitTorrent tracker operators and forcing several sites offline, the mainstream media heralded these events as a great victory for the MPAA and impending doom for file-sharing.

However, after a month and half since the fall of SuprNova.org and the MPAA's anti-piracy campaign, the BitTorrent network not only remains intact, it still is by far the largest file-sharing network.

While such an inference is clearly supported by examining the number of Torrent sites available, Slyck decided to speak with CacheLogic's founder and CTO, Andrew Parker. CacheLogic's comparison and analysis of the BitTorrent network from December 2004 to present yielded no appreciable change in the size of the network, despite the loss of SuprNova. Andrew explains this phenomenal occurrence.

"I believe the situation is quite simple. There is a lot of demand from subscribers to access content via P2P. The MPAA took a decision to pursue the weak point in the BitTorrent architecture (i.e. pursuing the most popular trackers) and the developers and user community resisted by looking for methods to work around that - i.e. tracker search sites, eXeem etc. Every time a weak point in architecture has been exploited by the RIAA/MPAA a technical solution to work around it has been created. I don't see this trend changing.

I believe that the MPAA needs to consider P2P as an opportunity rather than a threat. I think that we need to learn from the past. The introduction of the photocopier didn't result in people trying to photocopy entire books, VCR's didn't result in the death of the cinema or home rental market.

By taking advantage of the enormous savings possible in their distribution costs the MPAA should treat P2P distribution as an additional step in the Cinema -> Pay Per View -> DVD Rental -> DVD Purchase - > Broadcast TV lifecycle.

iTunes (and similar offerings) hasn't eradicated the distribution of MP3 via underground channels but it has given users the choice of how they obtain content and a way for the music industry to harness online distribution, its now time they looked at something similar for video as the consumer electronics industry has already started making portable video playback devices which will only drive people's desire to get video content."

Demonstrating that BitTorrent remains the most dominant network, Andrew provided the following current Internet snapshot (HTTP=red, Other non-P2P=blue, BitTorrent=gray, eDonkey2000=purple, FastTrack=teal, Gnutella=Yellow, Other P2P=green, “Recognizing”=brown):

[img]img%20src=http://www.slyck.com/misc/p2pgraphics.gif[/img]

While CacheLogic demonstrated consistence regarding BitTorrent's fortitude, BigChampagne Online Media Measurement's CEO Eric Garland suggests that BitTorrent has actually grown since December 2004.

"Lokitorrentcom, Torrentbits.org, and Torrentz.com are all on the rise. Donations to sites are up. Even SuprNova has active mirrors up (Bi-Torrent)....I think it is not unreasonable to conclude at this point that given all of the attention in the media, there is now greater access to media via BitTorrent than before the campaign.

This is the unintended consequence of very high profile anti-piracy campaigns, and we have seen the same effect time and time again, starting with the original Napster lawsuit."

The interaction from the copyright industry has done more to promote file-sharing rather than destroy it. When the RIAA caused Napster to implode, P2P rebounded to heights never thought possible. Now, the MPAA is learning a similar lesson, as BitTorrent continues to reign supreme.
Last edited by SlyckTom on Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SlyckTom

Postby DaBlade » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:26 pm

Excellent article Tom. The only flaw I see is the excessive use of first person view (sentences that begin with I, like I believe :lol: )
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Re: BitTorrent Remains Dominant

Postby madfury » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:28 pm

SlyckTom wrote: Now, the MPAA is learning a similar lesson, as BitTorrent continues to reign supreme.

nuff said.

PS Nice reading
madfury

Postby Wham » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:30 pm

Simply GREAT article. Well Done!
Wham

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:35 pm

The only flaw I see is the excessive use of first person view (sentences that begin with I, like I believe

Perhaps you missed it, but that is a quotation from CacheLogic's founder and CTO, Andrew Parker. Notice that part is in "quotes". He had a lot to say!
SlyckTom

Postby Allied » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:56 pm

:lol: Take that MPAA.
the developers and user community resisted by looking for methods to work around that - i.e. tracker search sites, eXeem etc.

Does that mean that the eXeem network is counted as BitTorrent traffic? I though it'd be more of stand alone p2p network.

Even SuprNova has active mirrors up (Bi-Torrent)

What does that mean? Are there still Suprnova mirrors providing torrents somewhere?
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:06 pm

Does that mean that the eXeem network is counted as BitTorrent traffic? I though it'd be more of stand alone p2p network.

I think he is referring to ways developers are working around the MPAA, not necessarily including it as part of the BitTorrent network.

What does that mean? Are there still Suprnova mirrors providing torrents somewhere?

Remember, Suprnova was just a lister, not a tracker. Many of the mirrors and or trackers still exist.
SlyckTom

Postby poullos » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:32 pm

Excellent article Tom!!!
I have experienced this too. People using kazaa or gnutella asked me about bittorrent shortly after the "strike".
¯\(º_o)/¯
poullos

article

Postby Nick » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:32 pm

Excellent article, Tom, thanks.

Way I see it, thanks to all the MPAA generated publicity, everyone has started asking what the heck BT is and what have they been missing out on.
Nick

Postby Fez » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:07 pm

This is the unintended consequence of very high profile anti-piracy campaigns, and we have seen the same effect time and time again, starting with the original Napster lawsuit."

This is SO true...p2p almost owes the powers that be a debt of gratitude for spreading the word so effectively that there are alternatives out there to explore.

:wink: :)
Fez

Postby Califax » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:29 pm

I hope newsgroups don't became the "new thing" -_-;;
Califax

Postby tm, » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:01 pm

If the MPAA ever starts suing BT users the same way they are issuing DMCA notices, then newsgroups may be the last refuge for movie downloaders.
tm,

Postby VedoVa_NeRa » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:52 pm

Thank you Tom, it's a very interesting article.
I have just finished to translate it for http://www.p2pforum.it. Here is Italian version.

And here is an immage I have created for the occasion.
Please feel free to use it , if you wish.

bye ;)
What if God would have claimed copyright on Creation? How would Adam and Eve have acted? Would you have been here reading this signature?
VedoVa NeRa, http://www.p2pforum.it, Italian File Sharing Power
VedoVa_NeRa

Postby SlyckChuck » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:59 pm

Good article Tom. Seeing this will probably make some people that shied away from BT to return. 8)
SlyckChuck

Postby eclectica » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:28 pm

VedoVa_NeRa wrote:I have just finished to translate it for http://www.p2pforum.it.

That's a nice site you have. Too bad about the language barrier. I failed Italian in High School. :(
© copylefted
eclectica

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:39 pm

But so far there have been no actions taken against the seeders of torrenets. Is it to be expected that baytsp
Will be helping the mpaa soon wtth seeders? Or do people think that was just a bunch of poop.
Last edited by Mel_Smiley_VIP on Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby Psycho Ced » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:40 pm

"I believe the situation is quite simple. There is a lot of demand from subscribers to access content via P2P. The MPAA took a decision to pursue the weak point in the BitTorrent architecture (i.e. pursuing the most popular trackers) and the developers and user community resisted by looking for methods to work around that - i.e. tracker search sites, eXeem etc. Every time a weak point in architecture has been exploited by the RIAA/MPAA a technical solution to work around it has been created. I don't see this trend changing.

Thats what I'm talking about.

I believe that the MPAA needs to consider P2P as an opportunity rather than a threat. I think that we need to learn from the past. The introduction of the photocopier didn't result in people trying to photocopy entire books, VCR's didn't result in the death of the cinema or home rental market.

Ha...Unless your in College or University or some other situation were alot of people with low income must pay high rip-off prices for everything.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Return to Slyck News