Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

BitTorrent Keeps Humming

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

BitTorrent Keeps Humming

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:01 pm

Most SuprNova and BitTorrent fans are well aware of December 19, 2004. On that day SuprNova.org, the largest Torrent listing site voluntarily removed itself from the World Wide Web. SuprNova cited it did not wish to confront the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America.) However, SuprNova's true intentions were to build anticipation for the release of its controversial client "eXeem."

When SuprNova took itself offline, many had predicted the certain demise of the BitTorrent network. Likewise, many other large Torrent sites, whether "Torrent listers" or "Trackers", were forced off line. Favorites such as Youceff Torrents and Phoenix Torrents also were forced off line. Panicked BitTorrent users searched far and wide looking for new Torrent sites. Within a short few weeks, this search ended as dozens of smaller BitTorrent sites have easy filled in the gap left by SuprNova.

While some have criticized Loki Torrent in the past, many have taken value in this Torrent site for its content. Also, instead of folding like a cheap suitcase, it has instead opted to fight the MPAA. So far, this site has risen in excess of 83,000 for its legal campaign against the MPAA. Keep in mind Loki Torrent has raised this amount in less than one month. Loki Torrent currently has 30,000 torrents, a bit less than 10% the amount SuprNova contained in <a href=http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=595 target="_blank">November</a> 2004.

The Pirate Bay.org, a less conspicuously named Torrent site, has also taken a large role in the post-SuprNova era. With over 65,660 torrents, The Pirate Bay currently has about a quarter of the amount of Torrents SuprNova had during the aforementioned date. Both sites have considerably less seeds.

While both sites are indeed smaller, this hardly discludes them from being impressive. If one were to examine the "Top 10 Torrent Site" list available at P2PForums.net and further examine the statistics available, a noticeable trend becomes visible. While most sites are indeed smaller than SuprNova, many of the listed sites have tens of thousands of available Torrent files. If the Torrent site statistics are not available, it is easy to see from the content that SuprNova's shoes have been well filled.

In addition, many individuals are taking advantage of the various IRC channels that specialize in Torrent files.

"Since the fall of SuprNova, my downloading has not been affected all too much..." one BitTorrent fan told us. "In fact I really never used it all that much to begin with. There are so many smaller sites available, plus IRC, that I can still get everything I want."

While SuprNova is indeed gone, it did not bring the BitTorrent down with it. Dozens of Torrent sites have appeared in SuprNova's wake, and more appear every day. While each may be small, their combined strength continues to make BitTorrent a resourceful network. One has to question however, if more BitTorrent sites simply means more targets for the MPAA.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Joe_Rigby » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:05 pm

I'm still hoping demonoid will be back soon.
Joe_Rigby

Postby SirKilljoy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:11 pm

If Charles Darwin was alive today, I'm sure he would postulate that with the demise of SuprNova.org, many of the smaller sites will grow, but that only one will take its place as the successor of Suprnova
He would also state that it is inevitable that one site will succeed.
The only long term change will be the color and location of the new SuprNova

The king is dead, long live the king.

SirKilljoy

Re: BitTorrent Keeps Humming

Postby Skyw4lker » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:25 pm

SlyckTom wrote:One has to question however, if more BitTorrent sites simply means more targets for the MPAA.

They can't take them all down :D

Thanks for this interesting article!

cya Skyw4lker
Skyw4lker

Postby Malicious Intent » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:16 pm

I've been trying to keep up with the latest news from all the BT sites. My list is more of a guide. Not as comprehensive as the one produced for Slyck, and the spelling my not be perfect, but hopefully helpful.

It can be seen here:

http://www.beatking.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9657
Malicious Intent

Postby Ynhockey » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:47 pm

So far, this site has risen in excess of 83,000 for its legal campaign against the MPAA.

Don't you mean 38 000?

Anyway, nice article :)

On a side note, tvtorrents is down again (tvtorrents.tv doesn't load).
Ynhockey

Postby Fusen » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:59 pm

(20:52:59) (@NewYears) The main web front end is down currently. We had some hosting company issues, suffice to say we are dropping them, as they have unreliable service. In the meantime, please use http://w1.tvtorrents.tv:7070/ or http://w2.tvtorrents.tv:8081/ . (This does mean the the RSS is down, yes) [300s timer]
Fusen

Postby AussieMatt » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:20 pm

The attack on Bittorent is just speeding up the development of plugins to proxy networks like TOR and I2P and then it will be almost impossible to find who is sharing what .I2P also have a bittorent client that is now compatible with the Azureus I2P plugin .

The US Navy had a team in the Middle East useing TOR for intelligence gathering so they could obscure thier origianal IPs from the 'enemy'.If its good enough for the US Navy and the Electronic Frontier Foundation to support these services against a common 'enemy' it should be good enough for us humble file sharers .

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/doc/AnonBT/
http://tor.eff.org/
http://www.i2p.net/
AussieMatt

Postby treed68 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:40 am

Correct me if I am wrong. Suprnova was a torrent behemoth, but all the torrents were not just from their site. They also had torrents from loads of other sites. They were, however, a great central site.
So with their demise, it just makes it a little more challenging finding what your looking for.
treed68

Postby Induna_ » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:02 pm

It's just history repeating itself.

I remember when Donkax went down and everybody was in a tizzy as to what to do. Then Suprnova and various other sites popped up. Gradually it got to the size of Donkax then overtook it. I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen here.

Hold those tears.
Induna_

Return to Slyck News