Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Italy Wants to Upgrade Movie “Camming” Piracy to a Criminal Offense

What's happening in the technology world! Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Italy Wants to Upgrade Movie “Camming” Piracy to a Criminal Offense

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:27 pm

Story : https://torrentfreak.com/italy-wants-to-upgrade-movie-camming-piracy-to-a-crimin

Recording first-run movies in cinemas, an activity known as "camming", has long been a thorn in the side of movie companies everywhere. In Italy, there are moves underway to tackle the problem, by upgrading the practice to a criminal offense with more severe penalties. Cinema owners may also install monitoring equipment to detect people illegally recording on site.

When the vast majority of movies are released to the public, viewings take place exclusively in cinemas. The industry is extremely protective of this initial window, which is seen as both lucrative and protective of the theater industry.

This strict and exclusive window also causes problems, however. While huge marketing budgets are mostly successful in luring large numbers of people to the big screen, millions sit at home waiting for a cable, DVD, or VOD release. Or, alternatively, a pirate copy to appear either online or through physical piracy channels.

These illicit copies are obtained by people taking camcorders or similar devices into cinemas and recording the screen. Quality is notoriously suspect but for large numbers of impatient movie fans, a ‘cammed’ copy with blurry video and unwanted audio interruptions is still desirable.

i'm glad there's no movie that i'd want to see soooo badly that i'd watch a cam.

MrFredPFL

Return to Tech/Internet/Other News