Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Join me and the Electronic Frontier Foundation tomorrow for a Reddit AMA about how copyright law can censor security research

What's happening in the technology world! Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Join me and the Electronic Frontier Foundation tomorrow for a Reddit AMA about how copyright law can censor security research

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 pm

Story : https://boingboing.net/2018/08/20/1201-vs-humanity.html

Have you ever wanted to talk with the Electronic Frontier Foundation about the risks of talking in public about security issues, especially in connected Internet of Things devices? Tomorrow, you'll get your chance.

Over the course of decades, short-sighted IT companies and federal prosecutors have twisted the law, especially a quasi-copyright law designed to prop up Digital Rights Management (DRM), so that factual disclosures about defects in widely used systems can result in researchers being sued, or even threatened with jail time.

This year, we asked the US Copyright Office and the Librarian of Congress to make a rule clarifying the right of security researchers to discover when devices contain dangerous defects. It's part of a wider project to overturn Section 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act so it can't be abused to suppress legitimate research and speech.

Tomorrow, we'll be hosting a Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA) from 12-3PM Pacific (3-6PM Eastern); we hope you'll come and discuss the issue with us!

MrFredPFL

Return to Tech/Internet/Other News