Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

State Dept. Enlists Hollywood And Its Friends To Start A Fake Twitter Fight Over Intellectual Property

What's happening in the technology world! Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

State Dept. Enlists Hollywood And Its Friends To Start A Fake Twitter Fight Over Intellectual Property

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:41 am

Story : https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20170705/10241437723/state-dept-enlists-hollyw

Good Morning! My name is H------, and I am reaching out to you from the State Department’s Bureau of Economic Affairs. I gave you call a little earlier this morning, but I thought I would follow up with an email as well.

Currently, I am working on a social media project with the Office of Intellectual Property Enforcement. This summer, we want to activate an audience of young professionals- the kind of folks who are interested in foreign policy, but who aren’t aware that intellectual property protection touches every part of their lives. I think the law school students at your institution may be the type of community that we would like to engage. Additionally, we know that your law school is ranked among the top schools in Intellectual Property law, and thus our campaign may not only be fun, but relevant for you all as well.

So a little bit of a recap from the message that I left you this morning. The Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs wants to start a fake Twitter feud. For this feud, we would like to invite you and other similar academic institutions to participate and throw in your own ideas!

The week after the 4th of July, when everyone gets back from vacation but will still feel patriotic and summery, we want to tweet an audacious statement like, “Bet you couldn’t see the Independence Day fireworks without bifocals; first American diplomat Ben Franklin invented them #bestIPmoment @StateDept” Our public diplomacy office is still settling on a hashtag and a specific moment that will be unique to the State Department, but then we invite you to respond with your own #MostAmericanIP, or #BestIPMoment. Perhaps it will an alumni defending intellectual property in the courts or an article that your institution has produced regarding this topic.

i wish i could say i'm shocked, or even surprised, by this. sadly, tho, it's pretty clear already that there's nothing some people won't stoop to in order to achieve their goals.

what copyrights, patents, and trademarks in the US need is thorough reform, NOT a fake twitter war to strengthen support for severely flawed regulations and laws.

MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Return to Tech/Internet/Other News