Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

In Worrisome Move, Kaspersky Agrees to Turn Over Source Code to US Government

What's happening in the technology world related to software. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

In Worrisome Move, Kaspersky Agrees to Turn Over Source Code to US Government

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:56 am

Story : http://gizmodo.com/in-worrisome-move-kaspersky-agrees-to-turn-over-source-179658

Over the last couple of weeks, there’s been a disturbing trend of governments demanding that private tech companies share their source code if they want to do business. Now, the US government is giving the same ultimatum and it’s getting what it wants.

Jeanne Shaheen, a New Hampshire Democrat tells ABC News, that there is “a consensus in Congress and among administration officials that Kaspersky Lab cannot be trusted to protect critical infrastructure.” The fears follow years of suspicion from the FBI that Kaspersky Labs is too close to the Russian government. The company is based in Russia but has worked with both Moscow and the FBI in the past, often serving as a go-between to help the two governments cooperate. “As a private company, Kaspersky Lab has no ties to any government, and the company has never helped, nor will help, any government in the world with its cyberespionage efforts,” an official statement from Kaspersky Labs reads.

The proposal prompted an official response from Russian Communications Minister Nikolay Nikiforov. He warned that any “unilateral political sanctions” would prompt retaliation from Russia. He emphasized that his government uses “a huge proportion of American software and hardware solutions in the IT sphere, even in very sensitive areas.”

The fight over source code comes at a moment when Americans are deeply distrustful of the Russian government. The Russians alleged involvement in the hacking of the 2016 election combined with numerous suspicious ties to our president’s campaign has everyone on edge. But setting the precedent of gaining trust through source code access is dangerous, as is capitulating to those demands.

worrisome might be an understatement.

MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Re: In Worrisome Move, Kaspersky Agrees to Turn Over Source

Postby ejonesss » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:22 am

i think it is time that the company stops doing business with the us government because i suspect the move is so the government can install back doors
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Re: In Worrisome Move, Kaspersky Agrees to Turn Over Source

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:09 am

i'm not sure how that would work, unless people start getting their kaspersky products from the US government instead of kaspersky. i don't see kaspersky offering a product that was recoded by someone else.
MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Return to Tech/Software News