Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Five Creepy Things Your ISP Could Do If Congress Repeals The FCC’s Privacy Protections

What's happening in the technology world! Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Five Creepy Things Your ISP Could Do If Congress Repeals The FCC’s Privacy Protections

Postby sunnyd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 am

Story : https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/03/five-creepy-things-your-isp-could-do-if-co

Why are we so worried about Congress repealing the FCC’s privacy rules for ISPs? Because we’ve seen ISPs do some disturbing things in the past to invade their users’ privacy. Here are five examples of creepy practices that could make a resurgence if we don’t stop Congress now ...

Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: Five Creepy Things Your ISP Could Do If Congress Repeals

Postby ejonesss » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:30 pm

When you entered a search term in your browser’s search box or URL bar, your ISP directed that query to Paxfire instead of to an actual search engine. Paxfire then checked what you were searching for to see if it matched a list of companies that had paid them for more traffic. If your query matched one of these brands (e.g. you had typed in “apple”, “dell”, or “wsj”, to name a few) then Paxfire would send you directly to that company’s website instead of sending you to a search engine and showing you all the search results (which is what you’d normally expect). The company would then presumably give Paxfire some money, and Paxfire would presumably give your ISP some money.

if you go directly to google for example would Paxfire still be able to intercept the searches other than if they manage to use malware to change the dns or proxy settings?
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Re: Five Creepy Things Your ISP Could Do If Congress Repeals

Postby bigboxes » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:41 am

What can we do to protect ourselves? I don't use my ISP's DNS severs. I also use a couple of adblock add-ons for Firefox. Lastly, I use a VPN service and do a double-hop. Is there anything else that users would recommend?
bigboxes

Return to Tech/Internet/Other News