Slyck.com
 
Slyck Chatbox - And More

Star Wars Trilogy Released 9/21...

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Star Wars Trilogy Released 9/21...

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:10 pm

Prereleased cinematic movies are hardly anything new to the Internet these days. In fact, it has become a near expectation to find a prerelease for just about any mainstream movie. Typically, they appear anywhere from a day to several weeks before their theatrical debut. While this has been occurring for years, the prelease phenomena gained mainstream attention when George Lucus threw his famous conniption as "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones" found its way online almost two weeks before its official release.

When it comes to prereleased movies, Usenet (the Newsgroups) continues to be the primary online distribution medium. Its anonymous and dual-use nature make Usenet an attractive choice for many release groups and a non-target of the copyright industry. Despite all the advances of P2P technology in recent years, especially considering the richness of BitTorrent and eDonkey2000, Usenet has yet to be eclipsed.

Continuing in its role as the primary distribution point, the newly released original Star Wars trilogy was being widely distributed on Usenet well before its official release. George Lucas, the writer for all six Star Wars movies and director for episodes one through four, had originally hoped to release the original trilogy sometime in the future. However, Lucas' past experiences with piracy and anticipated future grievances caused forced him to release the trilogy sooner.

"...A lot of people are getting very worried about piracy. That has really eaten dramatically into the sales. It really just came down to, there may not be a market when I wanted to bring it out, which was like, three years from now. So rather than just sit by and watch the whole thing fall apart, better to bring it out early and get it over with." Interesting statement considering one of his main characters, Han Solo, is a pirate.

While George Lucas was quick to release Star Wars to DVD, release groups MaST3rS, Emerald and DGaF were even quicker. A search on VCDQuality.com, NFONews.com or Newzbin.com confirm the trilogy was released on various dates between August 25th and September 20th.

According to forum posts, the trilogy release is said to be of excellent audio and video quality. In addition, according to the NFO (info file), it is released in the preferred NTSC (National Television System Committee) format.

Prereleased movies continue to baffle the movie industry. One of the more recent techniques tried by the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) to thwart prereleased films was to ban the distribution of "screeners." Screeners are high quality DVDs sent to film critics to review a film prior to its release. "Screeners" have been a common, although not dominant, source of pirated movies on the Internet. This effort was crushed however when a judge ruled in favor of the Independent film industry who charged that such a ban would destroy their chances in major film award ceremonies.

The source of the trilogy's current leakage remains a mystery.

Lucas' final installment, "Revenge of the Sith" is due to be released Memorial Day weekend 2005. Although perhaps a bit saddened to say goodbye to the Star Wars saga, at least it will be the last time he has to deal with prereleased films. Although there is always the DVD release...
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom
 
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:22 pm
Location: New York City

Postby Moloko_Plus » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:09 pm

While George Lucas was quick to release Star Wars to DVD, release groups Emerald and DGaF were even quicker. Although some speculative reports state the trilogy was posted in late August (most likely Laser Disc rips), a search on NFONews.com or Newzbin.com confirm the trilogy was released on various dates between September 12th and September 20th.


Actually, 2 of the 3 star wars movies were released by MAST3RS before them, but they were Region 2 originals.
Moloko_Plus
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:21 am

Re: Star Wars Trilogy Released 9/21...

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:21 pm

Good article Tom :D

I've certainly noticed an increase in higher quality pre-releases lately.



SlyckTom wrote:the preferred NTSC (National Television System Committee) format.


There's a little place you might have heard of called Europe, were we actually prefer PAL (Phase Alternate Line) over the inferior quality of NTSC (or Never Twice the Same Colour as it used to be known by TV servicing engineers like myself) ;)
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
User avatar
HouseCrowd
 
Posts: 33862
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:18 am
Location: UK

Postby tsafa » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:31 pm

"george lukas fored to release sooner" do you see now the benefits of piracy, lol. I would like to learn more about use groups. Can slyck do a story on them. how are they anonymous?
tsafa
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 5:58 pm

Postby Mr. Alzheimer » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:46 pm

Finally! :D

I've been waiting for this release for a long time. Hopefully, I don't even need to download them. I'm hoping my brothers will buy the collection for me as a birthday gift.

Good article by the way. Well written and interesting, as usual.
User avatar
Mr. Alzheimer
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:18 am
Location: ed2k

Postby tsafa » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:49 pm

dowload and share it. this will force Lucas to get off his ass and release it by the end of the year!!! Share it on Ants please...
tsafa
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 5:58 pm

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:57 pm

tsafa wrote:I would like to learn more about use groups. Can slyck do a story on them. how are they anonymous?


Check out:
http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6331
and
http://www.slyck.com/ng.php
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
User avatar
HouseCrowd
 
Posts: 33862
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:18 am
Location: UK

Postby Mr. Alzheimer » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:20 pm

tsafa wrote:dowload and share it. this will force Lucas to get off his ass and release it by the end of the year!!! Share it on Ants please...


If I tell you that it is to be released on the 21st of September, and I told you today was the 22nd of September, would you still use the same argument?

And at the moment, I don't have the possibility to download it nor share it as my personal computer is located about 500 km from my current location.
User avatar
Mr. Alzheimer
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:18 am
Location: ed2k

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:47 pm

There's a little place you might have heard of called Europe, were we actually prefer PAL (Phase Alternate Line) over the inferior quality of NTSC (or Never Twice the Same Colour as it used to be known by TV servicing engineers like myself)


Yes, that is funny you say that. It all depends what you are used to (no format is "better" than the other. PAL would appear inferior to North Americans, while NTSC would appear inferior to Europeans...
SlyckTom
 
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:22 pm
Location: New York City

Postby pigdevil » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:22 pm

maybe im wrong, seeing as i dont know a whole lot about star wars, but wasnt there supposed to be 9 films in total? the original trilogy was the middle set, the ones now are the first three and then there were three more planned for after the originals. maybe this was just lucas' original idea/hope but he hasnt written them and never plans to. :?
pigdevil
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:01 pm

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:27 pm

SlyckTom wrote:Yes, that is funny you say that. It all depends what you are used to (no format is "better" than the other. PAL would appear inferior to North Americans, while NTSC would appear inferior to Europeans...



When played from a recording straight to a TV or a digital broadcast, that's true, there's little difference, but it's widely known that PAL is the superior system .... and I'm not just saying that ;)

If you look back at the history of colour (sorry color ;) ) transmissions, what basically happened was that the US started broadcasting in colour immediately there was a system devised capable of integrating the colour information with the luminance signal of the then current monochrome broadcasts. The system, known as NTSC was problematic because it allowed colour hue to vary with signal strength. Because of imperfections in the way this system worked, many countries chose to wait for the PAL system to be finalised before making their commitments.

The reason that the PAL colour system is better is because of the way in which the colour signal is represented in the transmitted signal. Like NTSC, the colour signal, or colour 'burst' as it’s known, is compressed and squeezed onto the 'back-porch' of each line's sync pulse, but unlike NTSC a 'mirror image' of this signal is incorporated in the colour burst too. By sending a mirror image of the signal, any variations in the received signal, due to the natural inconsistencies in signal strength, affect both signals in opposite planes, and can therefore be cancelled out by a simple signal difference calculation. This is why you never see a 'Hue' adjustment on a PAL TV. Hue is there to compensate for poor colour reception due to varying signal strength with NTSC sets.

Of course, with the advent of digital TV, and DVD players, the composite signal received by the TV set should not vary in strength and should therefore be comparable to PAL quality, so these days it doesn't really matter, though of course it's best to stick to movies which match the system of your own TV/DVD player where possible.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
User avatar
HouseCrowd
 
Posts: 33862
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:18 am
Location: UK

Postby cjules13 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:47 pm

I'm not buying this set because of the crappy changes Lucas made.

I've got Laserdisc rips of the originals and I guess that will have to do for now.... :(
User avatar
cjules13
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:35 am
Location: Shytown

Star Wars Trilogy Released 9/21...

Postby SlyckChuck » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:13 pm

The thought that Lucas fearing piracy releases this content early can make many really wonder. These movies be it now 20 years old are going to command a hefty price. One more round of pocket lining for works he did long ago.


The industry might start to pay attention of how a movie once shown in a theater months ago should be released on dvd or vhs quicker so that the temptation of buying a pirated version (which is wrong) or downloading it (where legality is questioned).

The bottom line is the simple fact that the entertainment industry has such a bloated opinion of itself so full of ego that the simple cliche: the customer is always right has been totally forgotten about.

Lucas really does not fear piracy, since his 1st movie of Star Wars has earned him enough to set himself up for life. He is one of the few that now realizes the consumer demands and releases material early to maintain his image. :idea:
User avatar
SlyckChuck
 
Posts: 7025
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:57 pm
Location: On Earth

Postby Plonko » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:37 pm

So Newsgroups is the medium of choice for the release groups? Sorry but that does not sound like you have a clue, ftp sites was, are and will be the only place for the release groups to share their stuff. It then drops down to usenet, p2p, fxp-boards and all the other places. Usenet might be a lil bit faster than normal filesharing but thats all. If you compare users with access to usenet and users with access to normal p2p-programs the usenet is far away from being the primary online distribution medium for pre-released movies. I really dont get it why you have to mention Usenet in allmost every second article.
Plonko
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:40 pm

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:55 pm

So Newsgroups is the medium of choice for the release groups?


At what point in the article did I say that????!!!!

Even if I did, it would not be incorrect. For someone who is such an expert in having a clue, I'm surprised you dont realize that many (which means some, not all, and not necessarily a majority) groups do release directly Usenet.
SlyckTom
 
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:22 pm
Location: New York City

Postby createcoms » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:18 pm

I think Im retarded. Usenet and IRC P2P is too hard for me :(

Either that or my choice of Usenet client and IRC client has been at fault.



Re: PAL vs. NTSC, I agree that with digital setups there shouldnt (?) be a difference in quality however there is still a lot of analogue setups and so it is that PAL is better but remember that PAL came after NTSC and so had the advantage that it could improve where NTSC was seen to be lacking.

TV is pretty nice nowadays, whilst not at HDTV level yet(in the mainstream here in NZ that is) I think the samsung wide screen with component video input is looking pretty nice in the lounge!
createcoms
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:50 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby chacho » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:46 pm

createcoms wrote:I think Im retarded. Usenet and IRC P2P is too hard for me :(

Either that or my choice of Usenet client and IRC client has been at fault.


just use the slyck guides. they will have you up and running quickly. the first usenet and irc clients were forte agent and mirc. you're not retarded, i thought i was too :lol:
User avatar
chacho
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 6:27 pm
Location: virginia beach

Postby ashton » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:42 am

This purchase will go on my shelf with the VHS Triology I got years ago, when it comes to the last 3 episodes, screw p2p. :D
"There is a very thin line between genius and madness"
-Julian
User avatar
ashton
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:22 pm
Location: New York City

Postby aloniv » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:32 am

movies are recorded at 24 frames per second, so converting to pal requires speeding up the movie by 4 percent (to 25 fps) whereas to ntsc one must add 5 frames made up of the other frames.

release groups aren't stupid, they usually do not post directly to usenet as nearly every isp/provider keeps upload logs. they break into ftps, upload the warez there, and send them via fxp to thousands of other ftps. this is common knowledge.

the advantage of usenet over other forms of p2p is that regular people (that are not affiliated with release groups) can upload content that other people can easily access and the speed is very fast.
aloniv
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 2:43 am

Re: Star Wars Trilogy Released 9/21...

Postby mpfenton » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:19 am

SlyckTom wrote:However, Lucas' past experiences with piracy and anticipated future grievances caused forced him to release the trilogy sooner.


That and the fact that most people have already seen them hundreds of times. And already bought the tapes and/or laserdiscs, etc.

It can't possibly be the fact that the special effects are good for the times but very very lame by today's standards.

It can't possibly be the fact that the only worthwhile/memorable part of the movie is the bold and emotionally lifting music score.

Nah, gotta blame the "pirates."

SlyckTom wrote:The source of the trilogy's current leakage remains a mystery.


If you want to solve that mystery look at the thousands of pissed-off retailers who are making roughly between jack and squat off this must-have item.

Gosh, I wonder where the leakage is occurring? :roll:
mpfenton
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:59 pm

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:55 am

I hope the sales of this trilogy are dissapointing for Lucas, No doubt he will blame piracy but how often can you flog a dead horse.
This will ne the fourth time these films have been relesed.
So ok they've been improved a little in places, and these will no doubt come with a making of.
I bought books on this 25 odd years ago when I was a fan, now I wouldnt waste my bandwidth on them.
'I think about life and I think about death, and neither one particularly appeals to me'- Morrissey
User avatar
Richard
 
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Valhalla

Postby Mr. Alzheimer » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:16 pm

pigdevil wrote:maybe im wrong, seeing as i dont know a whole lot about star wars, but wasnt there supposed to be 9 films in total? the original trilogy was the middle set, the ones now are the first three and then there were three more planned for after the originals. maybe this was just lucas' original idea/hope but he hasnt written them and never plans to. :?


I'm not sure, but I believe there was made a comic about what happened after "The Return of the Jedi". Some of my friends mentioned reading this comic.

Anyway, I believe there might still be a possibility for new Star Wars movies to be made. I believe Lucas to be so greedy that after the next dvdrelease (episodes 1-3) he might consider making more films just to make more money.
User avatar
Mr. Alzheimer
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:18 am
Location: ed2k

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:09 pm

Lucas has said that he actually thought about a 7-9 triolgy with the original actors, but decided against it. That doesnt mean that it wont happen...there is some speculation that Speilberg may take over that trilogy...
SlyckTom
 
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:22 pm
Location: New York City

Postby FAH-Q » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:26 am

****Attention X-box softmod owners****

It seems the fight on piracy extends to xbox owners when playing this DVD. On the Star Wars Trilogy DVD 'Extra Special Features Disk' is a playable demo of 'Star Wars: BattleFront'. The problem is if you have a softmodded Xbox this game will update your Dashboard - Without Asking!! as soon as you launch the game. This kills your mod and you are left without a working dash.
Wow....there's no limit to the shit that M$ will do to ruin your day......
Thanks for nothing Lucas and Gates. :x

I know this isnt quite on topic but it relates to this movie so I posted it here.....
Read more info at http://www.xbox-scene.com
User avatar
FAH-Q
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:47 pm
Location: Over Here

Postby aloniv » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:38 am

in an attempt to combat pircay they victimize those that buy the products due to bundled software, copy protection, drm etc.
lesson of the day: don't buy anything, just download it from the internet. chances are that the internet files are free of crap.
aloniv
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 2:43 am

Next

Return to Slyck News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
© 2001-2008 Slyck.com