Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

My Latest Morpheus Encounter

Discussion of the Gnutella network and the Gnutella clients such as Gnucleus, XoloX, Shareaza, LimeWire and BearShare
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby jonnyd » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:54 pm

Ok, so it's a saturday afternoon and i'm bored. I decided to revisit morpheus to see if they have made ANY progress. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised! Sure it was the same old bad GUI and kind of annoying add banner, but there new neonet technology seemed to be working great. I turned of all the networks except for NeoNet and Gnutella because they are default. Did you know that NeoNet can mesh sources from gnutella? Morpheus may be on the right ttrack. They just need to get a better GUI and just make the app itself cleaner.
jonnyd

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:02 pm

And get rid of all the crap they force on you during installation.
BigWillyStyle42

Postby Risky » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:38 pm

All Morpheus-related bundles can be removed through Add-Remove programs.

Risky
Risky

Postby Ooble » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:25 pm

I'm sure most people would prefer it if they didn't exist in the first place.
[code:1]char str[20];
scanf("%19s", &str);
if (!strcmpi(str, "Hello, world!"))
printf("Hello, programmer.\n");[/code:1]
Ooble

Location: Wouldn't you like to know, SlyckTom? Just so you can sell my address to the RIAA? No chance.

Postby Risky » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:38 am

Ooble wrote:I'm sure most people would prefer it if they didn't exist in the first place.

What they would not prefer is if the development and use of file sharing programs were made completely illegal. Morpheus funds its incredible legal costs with the money made, which is part of why these programs are still legal.

Just check out the news at the EFF about Streamcast:
http://www.eff.org/search/index.php?query=streamcast&sa.x=8&sa.y=8&type=simple

now try searching for any other file sharing client or company...I don't think you'll find too much...
Risky

Postby no_dammagE » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:59 am

morpheus' ed2k support is based on mldonkey.
I would like to know where is the code they use???
mldonkey is licenced under the GPL (check http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/mldonkey/ ) and GPL v2. requires other developers to provide the source code, too. And because morpheus made code changes to the core (it is as a dll instead of exe as far as i remember), it HAS to open the code. ... Unless they've got/bought mldonkey's code under a different licence
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Postby Charles » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:16 am

Thanks no_dammmagE, I was wondering about the GPL too. And Risky, stop it with the EFF. Morpheus was sued like Grokster because you were an fasttrack, the most popular network when the RIAA sued you. Any other P2P would have won those cases. Popularity comes at a cost. Also, please stop employing Morpheus and legal in the same sentence when marketing Morpheus. Newbies think it is legal to download copyrighted stuff with Morpheus, this is totally misleading. Oh, and I would like that you open source morpheus since you use so many open projects. It' like P2P, you get, you give. If you don't understand that, screw morpheus.
Charles

Postby Risky » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:23 pm

no_dammagE wrote:morpheus' ed2k support is based on mldonkey.
I would like to know where is the code they use???
mldonkey is licenced under the GPL (check http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/mldonkey/ ) and GPL v2. requires other developers to provide the source code, too. And because morpheus made code changes to the core (it is as a dll instead of exe as far as i remember), it HAS to open the code. ... Unless they've got/bought mldonkey's code under a different licence

As far as I'm aware (and I could be wrong), the MLdonkey included is a binary downloaded from their website, with no changes whatsoever other than the settings file, which is not source code, and can be easily examined. There is no dll. Please see the website above for the source code. I can't comment on anything other than that - I'm not a lawyer.
Risky

Postby Risky » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:33 pm

Charles wrote:Thanks no_dammmagE, I was wondering about the GPL too. And Risky, stop it with the EFF. Morpheus was sued like Grokster because you were an fasttrack, the most popular network when the RIAA sued you. Any other P2P would have won those cases. Popularity comes at a cost. Also, please stop employing Morpheus and legal in the same sentence when marketing Morpheus. Newbies think it is legal to download copyrighted stuff with Morpheus, this is totally misleading. Oh, and I would like that you open source morpheus since you use so many open projects. It' like P2P, you get, you give. If you don't understand that, screw morpheus.

Thanks for clarifying my use of 'legal,' Charles. Some good info is available at:

http://www.morpheus.com/notices.html

People always bring up this argument about how every other program would have won the lawsuits, but the historical record shows a different story - iMesh settled, Grokster is rumored to have settled, and many other companies have closed their doors. I don't see where this argument comes from, since from what I can tell the exact opposite is true. Can you name even one company that hasn't buckled under legal pressure?
Risky

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:53 pm

You don't have to force 3rd party software on users, that's messed up. It's called checkboxes. You put them in installers and people have the option of not installing that crap.
BigWillyStyle42

Postby Risky » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:42 am

BigWillyStyle42 wrote:You don't have to force 3rd party software on users, that's messed up. It's called checkboxes. You put them in installers and people have the option of not installing that crap.

All bundled software with Morpheus can be easily and completely removed through Add/Remove programs.
Risky

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:48 am

Oh great, let the Copy/Pasting begin! :roll:
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby 666 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:11 am

Risky wrote:All bundled software with Morpheus can be easily and completely removed through Add/Remove programs.

By then it's too late.

On my computer, adware -> restore system partiton from disk image -> adware & the program that it came with gone.

Now if the people who made Kazaa Lite do the same with Morpheus...

Postby j_dogg » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:20 am

If a Morpheus Lite is going to be released, let it be resticted to NEOnet only connectivity. Morpheus definately coming in behind Shareaza when it comes to being a multi-net client, and Shareaza is no saint in this arena to begin with.
j_dogg

Postby 666 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:54 pm

Risky wrote:All bundled software with Morpheus can be easily and completely removed through Add/Remove programs.

So I gave Morpheus a try:

Morpheus doesn't give you the full installer. Instead, you get a 90kb exe which goes online to download the remaining megabytes to your temp folder. You can't install Morpheus from the file in the temp folder.
You have to use the download/install combo which prevents you from doing virus/adware/spyware scans on the installer.

During the setup a bunch of helper apps ask for internet access without telling you what they connect to and what they do there. If you deny access, the installer stalls.

When Morpheus was installed, I found a startup entry for WebSavingsfromEbates in HKLM_Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

WebSavingsfromEbates spawned popup ads even when Morpheus was not running.

So this line in the faq on morpheus.com is a lie: 'All third party software providers have agreed that software distributed with Morpheus adheres to the following guidelines: • Does not spawn pop-up advertisements'

Another lie from the morpheus.com faq: '• Can easily and completely remove the software through the standard Windows Add/Remove Programs dialogue.'

There was NO WebSavingsfromEbates in my Add/Remove programs list!

Time to remove Morpheus!

When I fired up the Morpheus Uninstaller, A~NSISu_.exe asked for internet access. If you don't let it go online, Morpheus won't uninstall. When you do allow it to go online, it asks you why you want to get rid of Morpheus, then sends the answer home. If you don't say why, the uninstaller won't continue.

Finally the uninstaller removed Morpheus. Sort of. The reg entry HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-(...)\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs\Morpheus was NOT removed.
But much worse: the Morpheus uninstaller DID NOT remove WebSavingsfromEbates. Both the program and the startup entry remained, and still no trace of it in Add/Remove programs.

Of course I made a disk image before installing Morpheus, so I could easily remove all traces of Morpheus and its parasitic adware. Without a disk image, you can only hope that Ad-aware et al. can clean the mess that Morpheus leaves behind.

No more Morpheus for me. There are plenty of adware-free multi-network clients out there, like Shareaza and KCeasy. They don't tell lies like 'All bundled software can be easily and completely removed through Add/Remove programs.' They don't even have unwanted bundled junk.

Postby Assyrian » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:08 pm

ok so i use shareaza, does it connect to neonet? because in the network tab i see it sometimes connected to a morpheus servers(hubs), so i just would like to know if thats the neonet crap?
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby 666 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:20 pm

Assyrian wrote:ok so i use shareaza, does it connect to neonet? because in the network tab i see it sometimes connected to a morpheus servers(hubs)

Shareaza doesn't connect to neonet. But Morpheus (and its adware-free but even uglier version Xolox) can be Gnutella hubs.

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:31 pm

666 wrote:So I gave Morpheus a try:

Morpheus doesn't give you the full installer. Instead, you get a 90kb exe which goes online to download the remaining megabytes to your temp folder. You can't install Morpheus from the file in the temp folder.
You have to use the download/install combo which prevents you from doing virus/adware/spyware scans on the installer.

During the setup a bunch of helper apps ask for internet access without telling you what they connect to and what they do there. If you deny access, the installer stalls.

When Morpheus was installed, I found a startup entry for WebSavingsfromEbates in HKLM_Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

WebSavingsfromEbates spawned popup ads even when Morpheus was not running.

So this line in the faq on morpheus.com is a lie: 'All third party software providers have agreed that software distributed with Morpheus adheres to the following guidelines: • Does not spawn pop-up advertisements'

Another lie from the morpheus.com faq: '• Can easily and completely remove the software through the standard Windows Add/Remove Programs dialogue.'

Time to remove Morpheus!

When I fired up the Morpheus Uninstaller, A~NSISu_.exe asked for internet access. If you don't let it go online, Morpheus won't uninstall. When you do allow it to go online, it asks you why you want to get rid of Morpheus, then sends the answer home. If you don't say why, the uninstaller won't continue.

Finally the uninstaller removed Morpheus. Sort of. The reg entry HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-(...)\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs\Morpheus was NOT removed.
But much worse: the Morpheus uninstaller DID NOT remove WebSavingsfromEbates. Both the program and the startup entry remained, and still no trace of it in Add/Remove programs.

Of course I made a disk image before installing Morpheus, so I could easily remove all traces of Morpheus and its parasitic adware. Without a disk image, you can only hope that Ad-aware et al. can clean the mess that Morpheus leaves behind.

No more Morpheus for me. There are plenty of adware-free multi-network clients out there, like Shareaza and KCeasy. They don't tell lies like 'All bundled software can be easily and completely removed through Add/Remove programs.' They don't even have unwanted bundled junk.

Is that reason enough to get rid of that sh!tware infested app, folks. :shock:

Don't listen to Risky as he is just a Morpheus fanboy and trying to spread the wealth of being infested with spyware, adware, and god knows what else. :roll:
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby Risky » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:54 am

666 wrote:So I gave Morpheus a try:

Well, thats a start :) Thanks for posting up feedback!

666 wrote:Morpheus doesn't give you the full installer. Instead, you get a 90kb exe which goes online to download the remaining megabytes to your temp folder. You can't install Morpheus from the file in the temp folder.

I don't see any reason why Morpheus should do this differently. The installer can't be run stand-alone - so what?

666 wrote:During the setup a bunch of helper apps ask for internet access without telling you what they connect to and what they do there. If you deny access, the installer stalls.

Well, these are internet applications, and sure, they access the internet. You can't give them a hard time just because they don't use non-blocking IO.

666 wrote:So this line in the faq on morpheus.com is a lie: 'All third party software providers have agreed that software distributed with Morpheus adheres to the following guidelines: • Does not spawn pop-up advertisements'

That part of the website appears to be outdated. I'll look into this.

666 wrote:Another lie from the morpheus.com faq: '• Can easily and completely remove the software through the standard Windows Add/Remove Programs dialogue.'

So - I did some testing this evening, and I noticed the reason you are probably experiencing this behaivor. The situation has been improved - now the uninstaller appears after a brief delay of about 30 seconds. I will definetly look into the source of that delay, and see if further improvements can be made. The problem was apparently caused by an auto-update to their software that was taking some time to complete. The installer version was updated to make this no longer necessary, and it shouldn't be a problem in the future.

666 wrote:When I fired up the Morpheus Uninstaller, A~NSISu_.exe asked for internet access. If you don't let it go online, Morpheus won't uninstall. When you do allow it to go online, it asks you why you want to get rid of Morpheus, then sends the answer home. If you don't say why, the uninstaller won't continue.

While I agree this is frustrating for some users, if you just play along and select something, anything, the install succeeds.

666 wrote:Finally the uninstaller removed Morpheus. Sort of. The reg entry HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-(...)\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs\Morpheus was NOT removed.

It is true that the Morpheus uninstaller does not remove the bundles. They have to be uninstalled separately.

Its unfortunate you didn't actually try Morpheus itself and leave any feedback about it. Thanks again for actually posting feedback instead of just bashing.
Risky

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:59 am

I think Morpheus still needs a lot of bashing so it's devs put it back on track :lol: And yes I try every new Morpheus release, but it always goes to trash in less than 5 minutes. :wink:
Charles

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:07 am

If Morpheus is truly serious about getting back into favor with the P2P community, it could make TREMENDOUS strides by making all third party application installations optional. While you may be able to uninstall this from "add remove software" or via Ad-ware/spybot, this forced install absolutely must go.

Until they change this, they can clamor all the users they wish. Few serious P2P user would ever touch Morpheus, leaving the network to be populated by the AOL/newbie crowd.

If I had the choice of being at the helm of a modest P2P network like FileTopia or a larger one such as Morpheus, I would take FileTopia any day of the week. Despite being a smaller network, they maintain a respect in the file-sharing world that Morpheus could only wish for.

I do not mean this as a slight against Morpheus, rather a constructive criticism. But just think of how much Morpheus' stature would increase if Slyck's next headline was "Morpheus Makes All Third Party Software Optional...."
Last edited by SlyckTom on Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
SlyckTom

Postby SlyckChuck » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:11 am

Bottom line is simple. If this app was serious it would rid itself of spyware. Always a fly in the ointment as a cliche to make the seasoned trader think twice about this app.

May I suggest those to look thru the new releases section and drop kick morpheus. The headaches outweigh the benefits just like kazaa. :idea:
SlyckChuck

Postby Allied » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:02 am

Risky, I'll take a guess and say you're more than the average Morpheus user. Why not release a limited version of morpheus. A version that has no bundled spyware, but eDonkey2000 style adds and connects only to Neonet.

Knowone could call it a leech client. It would pump up Neonet stats. And an add banner is nothing to complain about, just look at the top of this page.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:35 am

Allied:
+1 to your proposition
Charles

Postby 666 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:21 pm

Allied wrote:Why not release a limited version of morpheus. A version that has no bundled spyware

like this one? http://www.xolox.nl

Xolox is a Morpheus clone. Same user interface, but with a 1973 brown/orange color scheme. Maybe I'll get my parents a copy.
It doesn't have bundled adware. I guess that makes it Morpheus Lite. The start screen (embedded internet explorer tab) shows the same ads, though.

-

Risky, how much does Morpheus pay you for writing things like:

Risky wrote:The installer can't be run stand-alone - so what?

Install offline as (Win XP) administrator, then go back to limited user mode and switch internet back on...

Risky wrote:Well, these are internet applications, and sure, they access the internet.

And what are they doing there? Every other P2P app I used can be installed offline.

Risky wrote:(on popups by Morpheus-bundled adware) That part of the website appears to be outdated. I'll look into this.

Risky wrote:The situation has been improved - now the uninstaller appears after a brief delay of about 30 seconds.

The uninstaller never appeared. Not even after a reboot.

Risky wrote:Its unfortunate you didn't actually try Morpheus itself

I tried it.

The user interface is a mess.
The configuration screen lacks many essentials.
NEOnet has hardly any content (yet?).

But not everything was bad. Morpheus did one thing right. Even though it promised 'Connect to millions of Kazaa, iMesh...' it refused to talk to FastTrack.

Next

Return to Gnutella