Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Newbie - Nemeric file names?

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Newbie - Nemeric file names?

Postby campbrr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:11 pm

I'm kinda new at the whole usenet thing. My wife and I got fed up paying ridiculous prices for cable TV when we only watch a dozen hours or so a week. I've since been downloading the shows we want with reasonable success and now I've started browsing some of the newsgroups for older TV shows or movies that may interest us.

I'm finding a lot of newsgroups have only a numeric file name with no reference for the name that I can find. For example in alt.binaries.hdtv.tv-episodes I find 79334-0202 but have no idea what that might be by looking at it. (I downloaded a sample and it turns out to be season 2 episode 2 of Eureka.) Is there somewhere or some way of decoding these file names to reality?

I've been getting a lot of old movies from alt.binaries.moovee where the file name is mashed up but the whole name is in the description but starting around late 2013 many posts have just a numeric name with no info file like above.

I've googled every description I could think of, read the 'how-to' posts here and read every newbie question that sounded similar back to 2009 and can't find this exact topic.

FWIW, I'm using Newshosting unlimited servers and their supplied software. I also have limited access to Easynews (10 GB/mo).

Thanks very much in advance for any and all help you can offer.

Cheers!......Rob
campbrr

Re: Newbie - Nemeric file names?

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:33 am

Sometimes there's an .nfo file that'll give more details. Failing that, the only reliable way is to use nzb indexing sites with human-indexed/checked content.

I believe many uploads have deliberately obfuscated names to prevent take-downs.

Also, you could try Googling (or DuckDuckGo-ing) the obscure/numeric name -- sometimes the results will lead you to a site with more info.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Return to NewsGroups