In the time since Unzbin was last updated, the NZB spec has changed from 0.9 to 1.1, with the notable inclusion of <head> elements into NZB files. Files with said <head> element crash Unzbin 2.6.8, which was the last version I'm aware of. This was bothering me, so I set about decompiling Unzbin's source, fixing the problem and putting the pieces back together. I've now finished this sufficiently to nudge other interested users to give it a try.
If you don't trust new users (on their first post!) to pass you executable files, and you're a competent programmer, then the method to do this yourself isn't too complex:
- Use de4dot to unpack Unzbin, which was compressed with MPRESS.
Use a C# decompiler to turn the unpacked .exe into a Visual Studio project (I used Jetbrains dotpeek).
Fix the bug in the nzb grabber "if element type equals file... carry on as normal..."
Fix any bugs introduced by the decompiler.
For those of you of a more trusting nature, I've uploaded the raw unzbin .exe, a copy with the par/unrar command line tools, and my modified source as separate archives at: http://unzbin.totalh.net/. My version (as the original Unzbin) requires the .NET framework (version 2) to run. I have not built an installer.
I should warn you that my testing has been minimal, and the RSS functionality hasn't been tested at all, because I've never used it myself. However, I believe I've ironed out all the showstoppers. File downloads seem to be working normally, and NZB files that previously crashed Unzbin are loaded fine. I should note that I've disabled auto-update, given that the official Unzbin site is no more.
If anyone wishes to tinker with the source, then that's absolutely fine by me. The decompiled source isn't a perfect representation of what the original developer would have written, but I've found it manageable for the minor tweaks I've been making. I'll check back here infrequently to see if people are having problems. It would be a shame for such an excellent NZB client to be left to rot in the sands of time.