Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

German Court: Facebook Can Keep Its Real Name Policy

What's happening in the technology world! Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

German Court: Facebook Can Keep Its Real Name Policy

Postby sunnyd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Story : http://www.pcworld.com/article/2036190/facebook-can-keep-its-real-name-policy-ge

Facebook doesn’t have to allow nicknames on its platform and can keep its real name policy in Germany, the Administrative Court of Appeals of the State of Schleswig-Holstein said Tuesday.

The appellate court Monday confirmed two earlier rulings by the lower administrative court that reached the same decision in February, said Susanne Rublack, spokeswoman for the appellate court.

The Office of the Data Protection Commissioner (ULD) for Schleswig-Holstein last year ordered Facebook to start allowing the use of pseudonyms. According to the ULD, Facebook violates the German Telemedia Act that gives users the right to use nicknames online.

Facebook began preliminary proceedings against the ULD’s attempt to force the social network to change its policy. The administrative court, however, ruled in February that the ULD wrongly based its orders against Facebook U.S. and Facebook Ireland on German law.

Facebook obviously does not check for real names very often. I have two alias' that I use, both for legitimate reasons, aside from my personal FB account. Although I am in the U.S. and not Germany, they have rules they don't enforce, and they have changes they need to make but never listen, and never do them.

Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Return to Tech/Internet/Other News