Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Feds Want In-Dash Tech Disabled When Cars Are Moving

What's happening in the technology world! Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Feds Want In-Dash Tech Disabled When Cars Are Moving

Postby sunnyd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Story : http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9238663/Feds_want_in_dash_tech_disabled_w

Automobile makers should prevent drivers from using their in-vehicle electronic devices to browse the Internet and send text messages while their vehicles are moving, the U.S. Department of Transportation has recommended.

Auto makers should also lock out drivers in moving cars from reading text messages, viewing photographs, displaying scrolling text and using video apps, the DOT's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recommended in voluntary guidelines released this week.

"Distracted driving is a deadly epidemic that has devastating consequences on our nation's roadways," U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement.

The guidelines recommend that "that in-vehicle devices be designed so that they cannot be used by the driver to perform these inherently distracting activities while driving," the NHTSA said in a report.

Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: Feds Want In-Dash Tech Disabled When Cars Are Moving

Postby Golgo1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:43 pm

As much as I hate extra rules just to govern the stupid, I think this could be a good idea, and Im surprised it's not already happening.
As long as its implemented correclty, I dont see how anyone could argue against this.

That said, are there any aspects of this I may be missing? Anyone against the idea? (SPECIFIC points, not just the usual abstract 'government is evil', hippie crap)
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby el33tcrew » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:51 pm

I'd rather see them create extremely ridiculous fines (equal to a months pay) for using electronic devices other than for emergency purposes. Make it a primary offense so drivers can be stopped without needing further cause. This will create more revenue for the county and state governments. Possibly even consider jail time for repeat offenders and restitution to cover all court costs similar to those who receive a DUI/DWI.
el33tcrew

Postby sunnyd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:01 pm

I still want the option to use my cell phone while driving just for a quick phone call, but I will never do texting, internet surfing or other, while driving. I am extremely against any of those other uses while driving.

This issue comes up all the time, and there seems to be no easy way to handle this problem. If they disable all phones during movement, then passengers will be stopped from use also.
sunnyd

Postby HouseCrowd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:51 am

I think it's well intentioned but it would be problematic to implement and control/enforce.

Many vehicle manufacturers already disable driver-facing video/TV displays on their OEM units when the vehicle is moving (at least for the European vehicle market anyway ... I don't know about the rest of the world), yet that restriction is very easily (and commonly) circumvented. Just Google 'video in motion' to see what I mean.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Golgo1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:37 pm

sunnyd wrote:I still want the option to use my cell phone while driving just for a quick phone call, but I will never do texting, internet surfing or other, while driving. I am extremely against any of those other uses while driving.

This issue comes up all the time, and there seems to be no easy way to handle this problem. If they disable all phones during movement, then passengers will be stopped from use also.

I agree, Im also against disabling phones while driving. However I think in-dash devices are different. And thats where finding the balance to properly implement this is important. The software should use feature-based control, not device-based as seems to be what I hear the most.

I would imagine a profile while moving something like:
Enable: phone, GPS, video recording, appointment reminders
Disable: web browsing, pics/video watching, type-texting, appointment management, games, etc

I think the "cell-phone while driving" discussion is different than the "in-dash while driving" discussion. Obviously related, of course, but different.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby sunnyd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:42 pm

I agree, and I should have clarified my comment more. I am not sure they can disable only some phones and not all if the technology is related to GPS monitoring and/or movement.
sunnyd

Postby Nebulus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:30 pm

What troubles me more is that we are talking about restricting the use of mobile phones in cars by means of technology, instead of wondering why the drivers deliberately choose to do things that put their life in danger...
Nebulus

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:57 pm

i think it's because it's human nature to do stupid things, many of which are based on not paying enough attention. the video of the woman walking into the mall fountain comes to mind, and the kid in australia who walked off the top of a parking structure and died because he was too engrossed in his smart phone.

when they do it behind the wheel of a moving car, it ceases to be a hazard to themselves only - it puts everyone else at risk.

there's no easy solution here, but i'm all for making an effort.
MrFredPFL

Postby Psycho Ced » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:17 am

What about the GPS? What if there is a passenger? I think some things should stay functional under certain conditions.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Return to Tech/Internet/Other News