Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Dead Customer Virgin Media Bill Goes Viral On Facebook

What's happening in the technology world! Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Dead Customer Virgin Media Bill Goes Viral On Facebook

Postby sunnyd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:13 pm

Story : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22283453

A broadband bill sent to a deceased man, which included a fine for late payment, has been shared more than 53,000 times by Facebook users.

Social media experts say it is a reminder of the importance of responding quickly and publicly to complaints made on social networks.

The man's son-in-law, Jim Boyden, posted a photograph of the bill, along with a message addressed to Virgin Media, on the social media network.

Virgin Media said sorry to the family.

Unless someone notified them that the person was deceased, how would they know? I don't see any reason to fault Virgin Media whatsoever for this.

Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: Dead Customer Virgin Media Bill Goes Viral On Facebook

Postby Golgo1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:38 pm

I agree they shouldnt be faulted at all for sending the bill, they aint psycic. However, the bill itself is a bit of a fail that could have been avoided.

had to google to find it : Image

As the rep mentioned in the article, the bill should not be blindly printing out bank responses.
And you would think there would be some mechanism to detect and deal with failed payments due to death.

But yeah, media loves jumping on this and blowing it up.
If you google it, you get the BBC link, then about 20 links to other news outlets with the EXACT same content.

Also, I think Bill Virgins account on facebook is going to see a huge increase in hits this week. :lol:
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby sunnyd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks for finding the copy, Golgo1.

Even still..... the words "denied payer deceased" is not something that someone would easily catch on a statement when they stuff thousands of envelopes. Nobody has the time to read each one.

Their system should flag those words as key words in their system, and not print a statement, but it was human error to mail it. I've worked with many accounting systems and there are ways to flag these things.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby HouseCrowd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:39 am

sunnyd wrote:Their system should flag those words as key words in their system, and not print a statement, but it was human error to mail it.

Most larger organisation automate the entire billing process, including the envelope stuffing. I doubt it ever passed through human hands at any stage.

And, to be fair to them, a deceased "payer" isn't necessarily a reason to close the account and terminate the service. There may be others in the household who wish to continue paying for and using the service.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Return to Tech/Internet/Other News