Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Legislation Would Provide Subsidies For Low-Income Broadband Access

What's happening in the technology world! Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Legislation Would Provide Subsidies For Low-Income Broadband Access

Postby sunnyd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Story : http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/04/legislation-would-provide-subsidies-f

New legislation proposed in the House of Representatives would update a government program for telecommunications subsidies, shifting it from telephone service to broadband service. Sponsored by Rep. Doris Matsui (D-CA), the Broadband Adoption Act of 2013 would instruct the FCC to modify the Lifeline program, which currently subsidizes telephone service for low-income Americans, offering help for households to purchase broadband Internet service instead.

"The Lifeline program provides a tangible service to lower-income Americans and it is imperative that the Lifeline program be reformed and modernized to account for broadband services," Rep. Matsui said in a press release.

The Lifeline program is funded by the "Universal Service" fees that appear on Americans' phone bills. In addition to subsidizing service for low-income Americans, the Universal Service Fund also helps pay for service in rural areas. The shift to broadband has long been under discussion in Washington. A government report recommended extending the Lifeline program to broadband in 2010.

Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: Legislation Would Provide Subsidies For Low-Income Broad

Postby ejonesss » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:59 am

i would love that it could allow me to get cheaper or even free internet but some problems i see

1. The Lifeline program is funded by the "Universal Service" fees that appear on Americans' phone bills

what if we dont have a phone or we just have a cell phone i am not sure if the tax goes on cell phones too including pre paid ones?

2. is this in the fcc's jurisdiction i think the fcc is doing too much they should go back to their original roots cleaning up the airways of radio noise caused by spark gap transmitters once the tuned transmitter had been perfected and censoring the public airways ( no sex for sam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opie_and_Anthony) or wardrobe malfunction).
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Return to Tech/Internet/Other News