Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Cry For Verizon To Kill Contracts Grows Louder

What's happening in the technology world! Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Cry For Verizon To Kill Contracts Grows Louder

Postby sunnyd » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Story : http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57580942-94/cry-for-verizon-to-kill-contracts-g

The calls for Verizon Wireless to drop the contract are getting louder.

The petition posted on Change.org calling for Verizon to kill off its contract model has garnered nearly 120,000 signatures, with 25,000 signatures added over the weekend alone. It only needs another 30,000 before it can take it to the company.

The petition was created by Verizon customer Mike Beauchamp on April 7 after Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam told CNET on the sidelines of an event held earlier this month that he would consider moving to a no-contract model if consumers demanded it, and said the process to shift to no-contracts wouldn't be difficult.

The comments came shortly after T-Mobile dropped service contracts and subsidies as part of its "Uncarrier" campaign. Under the new plans, consumers pay the full price for their smartphones, but pay a lower monthly rate for cellular service, ultimately saving consumers money.

Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: Cry For Verizon To Kill Contracts Grows Louder

Postby Golgo1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:10 am

I think there are LOTS of people (myself included) that would prefer to keep the 'contract' and pay the hardware cost over time.
I think they should OFFER no contract and cheaper rates, but I aint paying $600 up-front for my phone.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Re: Cry For Verizon To Kill Contracts Grows Louder

Postby at5147 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:34 am

The idea is that you pay for the cost of the phone like you would a car without financing and have it tacked onto the monthly bill. After the phone is paid, the overall price of the bill drops so you don't continue to pay a higher subsidized monthly bill like you do under the current contract plans with Verizon Wireless.

Here is a good article about it since T-Mobile went to this idea:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575767 ... good-deal/

In reality with companies like Verizon Wireless, you will end up paying for the MSRP of the phone, which is why you have to have the two year contract; it's factored into the cost of the monthly plan. But after that two years is up, you continue to pay the higher subsidized bill price even though you may not have gotten a new phone.
at5147

Return to Tech/Internet/Other News