Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

usenet server

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

usenet server

Postby BrianMcInnes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:01 am

Over the last few days a lot of broken posts from regular posters have stopped me getting complete posts even after pars were used .
So i went to my server support and asked whats going on ....

Your original description appears below:
------------------------------------

Live Support Message Delivery:
-------------------------------------------

why are so many posts incomplete on all groups for last 24 hours ???

UsenetServer
support@usenetserver.comJustin B. commented on UNSS-79204 at 12/Nov/12 7:36 AM:
-------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

One cause of missing files is removal of the article due to copyright infringement. Unfortunately, in this case we cannot help you.

If you believe there may be another issue, please let us know what groups and Message IDs of the articles you are having problems with so that we can take a look at them. Here is an example Message ID - <2n8dv5tufe94871p3f4q754ntdm09qevt4@yoyo.com>. Also, please let us know the server address you are using.

Regards,
Justin
Derrick D. commented on UNSS-79224 at 12/Nov/12 11:43 AM:
> ---------------------------------------------------------
>
> Live Support Message Delivery:
> -------------------------------------------
>
> Re :Justin B. commented on UNSS-79204 at 12/Nov/12 7:36 AM:One cause of missing files is removal of the article due to copyright infringement. Unfortunately, in this case we cannot help you.
>
> If you goto binsearch.info and look at the groups , say movies divx or most other groups you will see a lot of posts over the last 24hrs are incomplete this is the same in most groups a.b.multiemedia etc
> iam not happy that i got a reply that says go away noob from uns after almost ten years with you guys , at least have a look .... if it was one uploader or only a few posts i wouldnt bother you but it aint and iam paying for quality thats just not there , thanks again ....

Derrick D. commented on UNSS-79224 at 12/Nov/12 3:32 PM:
> -------------------------------------------
> Hello,
>
> Please send us some examples of missing message ids, or of an NZB file that is incomplete.
>
> We can use this information to diagnose and resolve the issue.
>
> Regards,
> Usenetserver Support
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------

Brian commented on UNSS-79224 at 12/Nov/12 1:31 PM:
---------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your help , i have put three nzbs in this email 2 from popular groups one from another less so to give goood examples ,
i have used regular posters who post every day so i know its not them thanks again ..
Brian
UsenetServer Support

-------------------------------------------------------
Derrick D. commented on UNSS-79224 at 12/Nov/12 3:32 PM:
> --------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hello,
>
> The information that you have provided is for content that we have intentionally removed due to abuse issues (for example, copyrighted material).
>
> Regards,
> Support Team
>
> --------------------------------------------------------
Brian commented on UNSS-79224 at 13/Nov/12 6:02 AM:
---------------------------------------------------

ROFLMAO , you are so funny , sorry i thought you were pulling my leg there , is it that you want it known that usenetserver is interfering what people are posting to the servers because of , for example, copyrighted material Iam sure you would loose almost all your users and the damage to yourselves would be untold , think i need to go to slyck.com and have a talk with some nice people about usenetserver and who to move to if you can not provide the great service i have been use to for so so so many years Please dont go down this road i beg you ....

If you dont reply i will forward this to others as is and it will be seen as is and thats not good for any of us .

Brian.

I sent mixed nzbs with 20gb mixed posts from reg posters so what they are saying is they are dropping blocks from posts not removing them but enough you cant get a complete file downloaded , yes i know copyrighted material blah blah blah..
but what has been started here could destroy usenet altogether , i wait for there next reply ...
sadly as i love usenet
BrianMcInnes

Re: usenet server

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:54 pm

hi brian, and welcome :)

unfortunately, i think this is the start of a trend. for ages, usenet was a semi-mythical place, best described to the masses at large as "here be monsters". but with the advent of user-friendly newsreaders, along with the pressure on other forms of filesharing, usenet has become more popular, more accessible, and more of a target at the same time.

if they're getting takedown requests, i really don't see where they have a lot of choice. they're no more eager to end up in court than anyone else is.
MrFredPFL

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:51 am

I've noticed this recently too.

I don't think it is due to take-downs ...

For a start it's too random. Some posts will be perfect while others - that can even be related or from the same series - will be full of holes. Also, I've seen incompletes on posts that are only hours, or even minutes, old. And, in many cases, when a repost is made, the repost is complete and is still complete days later.

Also, this seems to be NSP independent. I'm presently with Newshosting, but clearly others are seeing the same issues with other NSPs. And Newzbin, who I believe get their post completion information from a number of NSPs, are also showing a seemingly random selection of incomplete posts.

The problem does seem to be rectifying itself though, I think.

Maybe some server somewhere that is common to most/all NSPs is/was having problems .... or perhaps the cleaner accidently unplugged it to plug the vac in. :shrug:
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby BrianMcInnes » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:22 am

Thanks for your coments , i just dont understand why admit to " One cause of missing files is removal of the article due to copyright infringement"- twice... I am allso getting downloads again and some are starting to backfill , it would have been easy to say its a glitch and will sort itself out , i hope all is ok and it was just a glitch and not a trend its a case of watch and see ...love usenet hate hoovers ...

Thanks
Brian
BrianMcInnes

Postby HouseCrowd » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:41 am

BrianMcInnes wrote:i just dont understand why admit to " One cause of missing files is removal of the article due to copyright infringement"- twice... I am allso getting downloads again and some are starting to backfill , it would have been easy to say its a glitch and will sort itself out

I suspect the truthful answer would've been, "We don't know".

Blaming it on copyright infringement take-downs gives them an easy cop-out and a response that can't easily be argued with. It gives the impression that the problem is not limited to their servers, suggesting that switching news service providers will not fix the issue. And since it's difficult for anyone to prove otherwise, they've little to gain by taking the time and effort to properly investigating such issues.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby BrianMcInnes » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:09 am

Lots wrong on usenet today and i found this worth a read ..

Usenet Feels The Heat As Copyright Holders Try To Strip Away Content
enigmax
November 9, 2012

Usenet is a lesser known file-sharing system that its fans have tried to keep under the radar for years. However, the genie has been out of the bottle for a long time and with an increasingly tech-savvy userbase Usenet has managed to attract millions of paying customers. Although still nowhere as big as BitTorrent, there are now increasing signs that copyright holders large and small are targeting their takedown resources on Usenet.

Despite the BitTorrent explosion of the past few years there have always been file-sharers who believe that if you want secure access to content at the fastest speeds, Usenet is the place to obtain it.

Usenet does indeed have inherent security (at least for downloaders) and due to its users handing over hard cash for services, bandwidth is in plentiful supply. Couple this with retention (the length of time content is held on servers after upload) of around 1000 days and simple downloading mechanisms with NZB files, Usenet’s attraction has increased massively in the last few years.

But despite these perceived upsides, users are complaining more often that content they expect to be present on Usenet servers has actually gone by the time they try to retrieve it. The culprit – DMCA takedowns.

Speaking with Dutch news site Tweakers, Mark van Herpen, who is responsible for the processing of notice-and-takedown requests at Usenet provider Tweak News, says that in the past six months there has been a rapid increase in DMCA-type notices received from copyright holders, and not just the large ones either.

“It’s not necessarily big parties like Disney who want their content taken offline,” said Van Herpen. “Sometimes they are television companies too.”

On that front (although not exactly small) the UFC definitely appear to be targeting Usenet more heavily than in the past. After reading several complaints that UFC content was being quickly removed from Usenet immediately following their live events, we approached their anti-piracy company for comment.

“What my team does is monitor usenet 24/7 using a Bayesian Classifier. We also verify everything 100% to ensure we are making the proper removal requests for the UFC and our other clients,” Joe Morganelli of Morganelli Group LLC told TorrentFreak.

“My team also has many ‘insiders’ that keep us on the pulse of what is going on with changes. There is no other company that does what we do with such success and speed.”

Morganelli refused to go into further detail with us on how this all works but what is clear is that aside from monitoring Usenet directly, anti-piracy companies are also getting their information from Usenet indexing sites such as Newzbin and NZBMatrix. When people post up links to content, this is monitored by anti-piracy companies directly and orders for that content to be removed are issued straight away.

“The public has only just started to notice it now,” said the owner of another major Usenet provider who does not want to be named. “The increase is continuing. We’re pretty heavily under attack at the moment.”

The systems being used by rightsholders are increasingly automated and according to Steve, a representative from popular Usenet company Astraweb, his company has little choice but to comply with each and every one or risk becoming a target.

“We have an automated process. Nearly everything about Usenet is an automated process, and DMCA notification processing is just another automated process,” he explained recently.

“DMCAs: it’s a given. We receive, we process! No debates! End of story! If we want to continue to operate as a business, we have to comply or get shut down.”

Steve said that his company is receiving more DMCAs than it has done in the past due to false rumors that his company doesn’t respond to DMCA notices, but what is clear is that many providers are feeling the strain in their takedown departments.

Niels Huijbregts, spokesman for Xs4all, reported an increase in newsgroup takedown notices during the legal battle between BREIN and News-Service Europe, a fight that BREIN won.

“When the case was ongoing in court a huge number of notice-and-takedowns came in,” Huijbregts says, adding that he suspected BREIN wanted to show that the company did not adequately respond to the requests. Whatever the response, the outcome was catastrophic for News-Service who soon announced their closure.

While there can be little doubt that Usenet is being targeted more heavily than in the past, a content-removal crisis point is yet to be reached with many people perfectly happy with their lot. That said, a tipping point could soon be here. Already there is a growing feeling that BitTorrent is a better bet if people want to be sure that the content they seek is actually still online.
BrianMcInnes

Postby Sfl0w » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:59 am

it's not very prudent to post this kind of stuff on the forums because it's only serves to give credence and validation to those parties that would like to see the Usenet end as we know it. if you're using Usenet please just go find a filler account and do not do anything or postings anything that will add fuel to the fire for the DMCAMofia. All American Usenet providers must adhere to DMCA regulations, this is just a fact, deal with it, accept it and move on.
I need more CowBell!!
Do it..you know you want to!
Sfl0w

Postby BrianMcInnes » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:41 am

it's not very prudent to post this kind of stuff on the forums because it's only serves to give credence and validation to those parties that would like to see the Usenet end

I dont think we should say nothing , its not exactly trending on twitter here now is it , 300 hits will be if lucky 100 people looked at the post , its like minded people who have been around for years and have an intrest on whats going on on usenet ,
knowledge is important in any form the good and bad , you cant ignore things and hope it will just go away ...
I do see your point as valid ,but i do like a moan about bad service with underhand ways as i am paying for a service , IF it was there intention to stop posts then we the customer should have been told upfront and not had it put upon us in this way, we also have rights in this some place and they were ignored , if usenet is to suffer a slow death then i want to know from the service provider i pay,we should be told when why and whats going on, then with informed choice i can.
" accept it and move on "

Brian ...
Last edited by HouseCrowd on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quotes
BrianMcInnes

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:53 am

I'm still not convinced that the recent and sudden increase in incomplete posts was caused by take-downs.

Like I said, it was too random, too inconsistent and (for me at least) the issue seems, for the most part, to have resolved itself.

In most cases the affected posts are unrelated, while related posts (related by series or copyright owner) remain unaffected .... even posts that are many months old.
HouseCrowd

Postby KoolKat » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:28 am

I just posted on another thread that i have had a similar problem with UNS after signing up today, ill report it here. I have been using usenet almost as long as it has existed and have used most of the major providers, with the exception of Giga, so im not a n00b to any of this. I was surprised by the inability to grab a couple tv shows as i never ran into that with astraweb.

KoolKat wrote:So after hearing this news i decided to switch back to UNS from Astra for the XPAT and built in global search. After signing up i decided to try and d/l a show that i grabbed just two hours ago with Astra only to find none of it d/led, all of it is completely INC. So i ticked the Astra server and tried it again, the show is still d/ling fine on Astra..

I tried another show, we only watch for or five tv shows regularly, and it failed as well. These shows were just posted a few hours ago so either they do a preemptive take down or the server hasnt 'caught up' yet.

Just thought id post this in case anyone else had the same idea. I will be canceling USN immediately and sticking with Astra for now.
Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics! ~ Londo Mollari
KoolKat

Return to NewsGroups