Slyck Chatbox - And More

How to download music on IRC?

Discussion of current popular networks, clients and methods of IRC
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

How to download music on IRC?

Postby rocky12 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm new on this forum! I really would like to learn how to download full music albums on IRC? I have not a single clue how to use the channels. Would it be possible that I could get albums on IRC, but without know the IRC commands since that would be hard for me to learn? I did a Google search for my question relating to the best P2P for albums, or something like that, and I saw a user on a different forum recommend ircspy.com, and get music out of the ying yang, and that site is not active. Would there be similar sites for music like that, and I don't need to go into the IRC chat?

Thank you if someone could help me learn!
rocky12

Re: How to download music on IRC?

Postby mainroy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Speaking as a member of the silent majority(bugger Ive just been kicked out!!!)
mainroy

Postby rocky12 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Anyone else?
rocky12

Postby zbeast » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:45 am

I personalty would not recommend it. the most amount of C&D's ever got was from IRC..
Worse yet.. but of your cable internet user you run the risk of getting your internet connection cut off.

Besides there's no technical advantage of using irc.
irc is hard to use, channels you are trying to find content on are hard to find.
the people on IRC are rude and very dickish..

I would just look for ftp, nap, or lockers.
then again, these day's... I just mail old hard drives around.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby rocky12 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:13 am

zbeast wrote:I personalty would not recommend it. the most amount of C&D's ever got was from IRC..
Worse yet.. but of your cable internet user you run the risk of getting your internet connection cut off.

Besides there's no technical advantage of using irc.
irc is hard to use, channels you are trying to find content on are hard to find.
the people on IRC are rude and very dickish..

I would just look for ftp, nap, or lockers.
then again, these day's... I just mail old hard drives around.

Thank you very much! Could you recommend some lossless music sites that are based on ftp, nap, or lockers? I live in the US, and it's a crime for torrents. That is why I am looking for other alternatives.

Thank you again!
rocky12

Postby Royce » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

There is an old standard when it comes to music sharing and it's soulseek (slsk). My understanding is there have been rare to no cases against anyone sharing on this network. The collections are rich, the users are not as dickish as the IRC text based pricks and I enjoy the network very much.
The wages of sin are death, but by the time taxes are taken out, it's just sort of a tired feeling.
- Paula Poundstone
Royce

Postby rocky12 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:42 pm

Royce wrote:There is an old standard when it comes to music sharing and it's soulseek (slsk). My understanding is there have been rare to no cases against anyone sharing on this network. The collections are rich, the users are not as dickish as the IRC text based pricks and I enjoy the network very much.

Thank you for that info!

How is the NAP network? How do I use it? Also, could I download complete music albums on the nap network?
rocky12

Postby sunnyd » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi Rocky,

OpenNap is a very easy protocol to use, and yes, you can download full albums on it. The servers run SlavaNap software and many filesharing clients can be used, Utatane, WinMX (all versions), Lopster, etc. The user count is down compared to many years ago, but OpenNap is alive and doing fine, with no hassles. :wink:

Here is a list of the current OpenNap servers which can always be found on GotNap..
http://gotnap.com/index.php/list

To download a .wsx file which contains the data for the server addresses, you would use this link...
http://gotnap.com/index.php/client
You can open it in notepad to view it (but don't save it as a .txt file after viewing), or if you are using WinMX, you can drag it to your desktop WinMX icon and it will add the servers.

OpenNap is not part of WinMX peer, and you do not have limits, other than what the servers define such as a minimum file share of 21 files or 1 gig (typically the basic requirement). You can enter chat rooms/channels (f you want to), and you can share as much as you like (some servers are set to allow 65,535 files to be shared). You do not need to be registered to share files on any of these servers. All file types are shared, music, movies, single .mp3's and full albums.

Hope that helps. :wink:
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:12 pm

a word of caution, rocky, since you're talking about full flac albums - winmx does not resume transfers in opennap mode. other clients - lopster/winlop, utatane, audioGnome (does it still exist?) will resume interrupted transfers.
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:13 pm

Here's a link explaining Utatane...
http://www.utatane.webs.com/

And here's a download link for it...
http://www.mediafire.com/?oelsc7be7v9cvab

It's my preferred choice to use on OpenNap.
sunnyd

Postby rocky12 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:53 am

Hi sunnyd,

I just got Utatane, but I don't know really want to do to get it up and running. I also don't know how to search for full albums. I did not download the .wsx, or anything like that. Even if I did get, I honestly don't have a clue what to do with the .wsx file. I also know nothing about those servers. I don't know how to get it running by downloading full albums. Sorry about that.
rocky12

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:28 am

Hi Rocky,

If you can wait until tonight, or perhaps tomorrow night, I will post an entire user guide for Utatane, perhaps in it's own area on Slyck. To install it, you just click on the .exe, and then you will be able to see what the file sharing client looks like, see what options there are, etc. There is a help file that comes with the installer, but it is very brief. The .wsx file is just data that shows you the available servers to add to Utatane for file sharing on OpenNap. You have to add them manually in Utatane, and you can do that by viewing either the available server list on GotNap, or by downloading the .wsx file and opening it with notepad to see the server information.

One thing I will add is that it is much better to have an open port used specifically for Utatane rather than share files with no open port. Two users both on port 0 (no open port) are not able to connect to each other, so if you are using a router, you should open a port for it (you can use port 6699 for both tcp and udp), which I will cover in the user guide.

My schedule is a bit tight for the next 24 to 36 hours, but I will get it posted as soon as I have a chance.
sunnyd

Postby Cornelius Pumpkins » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:15 am

Interesting recommendation considering all the easy (not to mention popular) file-sharing apps around today.

If Rocky gets lucky both Utatane users will be on at the same time.
Cornelius Pumpkins

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:24 am

Utatane shares with any and all other file sharing clients, it is not just a Utatane to Utatane file sharing client. It does not seek preference.
sunnyd

Postby rocky12 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:27 am

sunnyd wrote:Hi Rocky,

If you can wait until tonight, or perhaps tomorrow night, I will post an entire user guide for Utatane, perhaps in it's own area on Slyck. To install it, you just click on the .exe, and then you will be able to see what the file sharing client looks like, see what options there are, etc. There is a help file that comes with the installer, but it is very brief. The .wsx file is just data that shows you the available servers to add to Utatane for file sharing on OpenNap. You have to add them manually in Utatane, and you can do that by viewing either the available server list on GotNap, or by downloading the .wsx file and opening it with notepad to see the server information.

One thing I will add is that it is much better to have an open port used specifically for Utatane rather than share files with no open port. Two users both on port 0 (no open port) are not able to connect to each other, so if you are using a router, you should open a port for it (you can use port 6699 for both tcp and udp), which I will cover in the user guide.

My schedule is a bit tight for the next 24 to 36 hours, but I will get it posted as soon as I have a chance.

Thank you very very much. I don't have a router. I use the built in Windows 7 Firewall, and MSE. In your guide, may you show me how to open ports by using a Firewall only without a router. I am talking about a free Software. If you prefer to use a different Firewall outside of Windows that would be free, that would be fine. I will and could get the same free Software Firewall to use to open the ports that you specify in the guide.

Sorry for the late reply. I'm always on the second of time. I had to go to the hospital for an EGD, my second time where they put a scope down the esophagus tube into the stomach. I had to an IV where put they put me under for a short while. I dip snuff that is causing this.

@sunnyd, I don't know where the proper section for this guide would be. If someone wants, maybe they can provide a direct link.

Thank you so much, sunnyd!
rocky12

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Rocky,

You can open a port in your Windows firewall by following this guide...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... s-firewall
So start with that, open port 6699 and choose tcp.

As for the Utatane guide, since this posted under IRC, I will private message you with the basic instructions for Utatane and at some point perhaps set up a section/topic for Utatane on Slyck when I have more time. For now, I can copy & paste it to you in private message, and then you can copy & paste it to notepad, or whatever you choose from there.

If you did not already install Utatane, it should be installed in the root directory of C (C:\), and not under C:\Programs (I forgot to mention that before, sorry). If you already installed, just uninstall and reinstall, and follow the other directions that I will be sending you in a message a bit later.
sunnyd

Postby rocky12 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Thank you.
rocky12

Postby rocky12 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:36 am

Hey everyone,

I do know people on IRC are not so nice. I'm not looking to download to meet those people. I'm looking for the easiest way to download on IRC, but ignore those snobby people. I heard from my Uncle, but he doesn't use IRC in like 15yrs. He heard it's a lost easier to use these days without knowing the commands, but he doesn't know what he heard/read is true since he hasn't tried it. He says everything these days are based on the IRC GUI without the need for the IRC command line. Would this be true? If yes, then what would be a good GUI to download full music albums, and what would be some good updated tutorials to teach how to download using the IRC GUI? I really wish to use it to download. Could someone please help me?

I hope someone could reply back.

Thank you very much,
rocky12

Postby sunnyd » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:47 pm

If you are already a member on irc, why don't you try asking on their forums? You may have luck with topics there that can answer many of your questions. I'm not sure how many people reading Slyck actually do what you are asking about. Or perhaps use Google (or any search engine) for some additional help on that topic.
sunnyd

Postby rocky12 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:12 pm

sunnyd wrote:If you are already a member on irc, why don't you try asking on their forums? You may have luck with topics there that can answer many of your questions. I'm not sure how many people reading Slyck actually do what you are asking about. Or perhaps use Google (or any search engine) for some additional help on that topic.

Do you have a direct link to IRC forums? I'll ask on the forums, but I don't have a website to the main forums. I tried looking for it in the past when I first made this thread, but I couldn't find one to the main site.
rocky12

Return to Internet Relay Chat