Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

I used WinMX

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

I used WinMX

Postby pitter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:15 pm

I loved using winmx before it was shut down. The chat channels were the funnest part of the program. When they shutdown I stopped downloading for a while. I recently found Tixati and with their new chat feature I can finally chat again. :D
pitter

Re: I used WinMX

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:38 pm

You could always chat with WinMX, OpenNap protocol always has always had servers with chat channels. WinMX was not just for peer. OpenNap SlavaNap servers have never shut down, they are still running today and WinMX works fine on all OpenNap servers. :wink:

Try this list of current servers for OpenNap, all running fine. http://www.gotnap.com/index.php/list

I seldom see anyone who ever uses Tixati on Bittorrent.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby pitter » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:15 pm

I didn't mean when the channels specifically shut down I meant when the makers had to stop. While it was down I found alternatives for my downloading and never went back. I realize that the channels managed to get back up and that the program still kinda runs.

Using torrents is much easier now for me. And now that tixati has channels for chatting I get to have fun chatting with people I am downloading to and from. :D
pitter

Postby HalOfBorg » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:16 pm

The 3.54B version still functions, but someone has figured out how to screw with the searches so you get results that have nothing to do with your terms. Sometimes it works OK so I assume that whoever does it doesn't run it all the time.

Chatroom side still works OK, browse works OK as well.

This was accurate as of a few weeks ago, might have improved.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer: http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

We are The Borg.
Lower your weapons. Disarm your explosives.
Your spawn will adapt to service Us.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Hal,
You are referring specifically to peer, there were always limitations on peer. OpenNap protocol is much different, and few limitations. SlavaNap, OpenNap server owners do not mess with search results, they are what you type in. There are generally server min share requirements (21 files, or 1 gig, etc.), but search and browse results are in the thousands on several servers, and nowhere near the long queues of WinMX peer. All versions of WinMX work on OpenNap servers, not just 3.54 Beta 4.

pitter,
As for chatting, well, file sharing isn't about chatting, it's about sharing files, lol. :wink: And all versions of WinMX can chat with each other in private message as well as chat with other file sharing clients in the OpenNap protocol, and in channels, etc. But, if few ever use the Tixati client for file sharing, heck, at least you can chat now about how many aren't using it with the few that are using it. But then, you could also use Yahoo, MSN, etc. for that, if you find buddies.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Return to WinMX