Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

LulzSec Takes a Short Break, Has Fan Base Use Telephone Hotline to Continue Attacks

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

LulzSec Takes a Short Break, Has Fan Base Use Telephone Hotline to Continue Attacks

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:45 pm

So what happens if you're a hacker who's too busy to hack? Have you fan base handle the lulz, of course. Well, at least that's LulzSec's take on the matter. Thanks to their innovative call line, a first among the hacktivist community, users can call in and place their request for a DDoS attack. Or, the switchboard can be redirected to any number so chosen by LulzSec - such as their enemies.

We've seen many hacker groups in our 10+ years online come and go, but never one with their own call in switchboard. Yep, just like McDonalds, you can call in and place an order for a DoS attack. When DoS attacks aren't enough, LulzSec can apparently redirect the thousands of calls they receive to whatever number they choose. Currently, the phone lines are redirected to HBGary.com - a network security firm.

"Incoming 614-LULZSEC calls now redirect to HBGary. You take care of the horde while we're gone @AaronBarr, thanks mate. Bye for now."

It seems LulzSec has innovated a third weapon in the hacktivist's arsenal - DDoS attacks, old fashioned break ins, and now redirected phone calls. The success of this method remains to be seen. The hacker hotline was successful insofar it gave LulzSec yesterday's list of sites to attack. Whether it's a liability, especially as it generates thousands of unwarranted phone calls for the hapless victim, remains to be seen.

Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: LulzSec Takes a Short Break, Has Fan Base Use Telephone

Postby MythicalMe » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Anyone think that LulzSec has crossed a line here? It's one thing to show up security problems, quite another to actually overload a company switchboard for no better reason than lulz.

Until today I was unsure, but this news item changes my opinion entirely.
Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither.
MythicalMe

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:00 pm

you're not alone, MM.
MrFredPFL

Postby georgegad » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:13 pm

MythicalMe wrote:Anyone think that LulzSec has crossed a line here? It's one thing to show up security problems, quite another to actually overload a company switchboard for no better reason than lulz.

Why?
Is there something holy about company switchboards that makes them more respected than a website or corporate offices?
This is as a legitimate a target as any other that has been targeted this year. It is not really any more damaging to their business than if 2000 people had turned up at the head office with protest banners.

I thought they were off base in some of their earlier targets, but this bit of news actually returned a little portion of my respect for LulzSec. This may be the first thing I have seen them do that I did not find morally questionable.

Do remember, it is the HBGary switchboard, not just a random number pulled from a hat. So, there is some sort of historical grudge they are venting over.
Earlier, when they were hacking innocent sites for fun, is when someone should have made a moral stand.

This is exactly the type of line I think they should cross. Screw HBGary, why should they get our sympathies, when nobody else did? Go ahead and mess with them, put burning bags of poop on their doorstep at night for all I care.

If nobody cared when it was random innocents, then nobody should care when it is some corporate phone line.
It makes me wonder where peoples morals come from, when they accept attacks against civilians, and then make a fuss when someone temporarily inconveniences a companies income.
georgegad

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:25 pm

georgegad wrote:Earlier, when they were hacking innocent sites for fun, is when someone should have made a moral stand.

If nobody cared when it was random innocents, then nobody should care when it is some corporate phone line.
It makes me wonder where peoples morals come from, when they accept attacks against civilians, and then make a fuss when someone temporarily inconveniences a companies income.

i cared. i didn't lose respect for them when they targeted a switchboard, because i had already lost all respect for them. i'd agree that this is inconsequential. when i said MM was not alone, i meant in terms of not respecting them. i should have been more clear. this development didn't harm my opinion of them, my respect for them was already mortally wounded ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby georgegad » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:39 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:...... i didn't lose respect for them when they targeted a switchboard, because i had already lost all respect for them.....

:toast:
georgegad

Postby MythicalMe » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:22 pm

As i said, it is one thing to point out gaps in web security, which the company has control over,it's another to forward phone calls which the company has no control over.
Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither.
MythicalMe

Postby georgegad » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:08 pm

MythicalMe wrote:..... it is one thing to point out gaps in web security, which the company has control over.....

Just checking you are on the same page, you do realize they are not really a group that provides security, dont you? They call themselves "Lulz Security", but they are not at all interested in pointing out gaps in anyones security network. They call themselves that because they find and use gaps in security to do their thing.

They are doing this entirely because the company does not have control over the phone line.
They realize it will serve no useful purpose and only cause annoyance, that is why they chose to do it in the first place.
georgegad

Postby Drake » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:05 pm

lol. HBGary is an old (kind of) enemy of Anonymous who tried to expose the identify of their members so I don't think this crosses the line. Unless they start redirecting calls to charities I don't see what the outrage is all about. It looks like LulsSec & Anonymous have kicked it into a higher gear and are gearing up for several AntiSec hacks.
Drake

Return to Slyck News