Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

PirateBox Lets You Share Files With Anyone Close By

What's happening in the world of technology related to hardware. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

PirateBox Lets You Share Files With Anyone Close By

Postby sunnyd » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:05 am

Story : http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2011/01/piratebox.html

Online file-sharers disheartened at the news that Google has begun censoring peer-to-peer search terms can now take their data into the real world with the PirateBox, a lunchbox-sized device created by David Darts, a professor of art and technology at NYU Steinhardt.

The PirateBox broadcasts an open WiFi network that anyone in the vicinity can anonymously join. Once connected, users can upload and download any files they please - effectively creating a temporary and portable file sharing network. You don't need to log in and no user data is recorded, so file-sharers are free to trade whatever they like.

Darts built the device, originally called Freedrop, as an easy way to share files with his students in class. "I was looking for a device that would allow users in the same physical space to easily share files," he says. It was a hit, but he soon found that his students had other sharing plans. "Students started sharing non-class related materials, their favorite albums and so on."

Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: PirateBox Lets You Share Files With Anyone Close By

Postby zbeast » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:35 pm

I designed something like this a few years back.. but it ran under windows xp.
so that I could run standard anti-virus and malware on it. also it didn't cost $100 it was more like $500.
It was aimed for use by students who's local public internet connection blocked file trading.

A simple perl script, for control and scanning and emule for the file trading client.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby DanielRavenNest » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:13 pm

This is one step easier than carrying a USB hard drive around to share files with friends. I forsee "Pirate Parties" where people get together to drink and share files. I'm making an obvious play on the political "Pirate Party".
DanielRavenNest

Postby georgegad » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:58 am

DanielRavenNest wrote: I forsee "Pirate Parties" where people get together to drink and share files.

Dude, people do that all the time and have been for many years. I believe they already refer to them as "Lan parties".
The presence of alcohol is often replaced with a massive game of Quake but the idea is much the same.

Harass a few internet cafes, gaming stores and the like in the local area and get yourself invited to one. Bring your laptop, a portable drive with all your favorite crap and another to take new things home on.
georgegad

Postby DanielRavenNest » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:51 pm

georgegad wrote:Harass a few internet cafes, gaming stores and the like in the local area and get yourself invited to one. Bring your laptop, a portable drive with all your favorite crap and another to take new things home on.

I have been to LAN parties before. This gadget just lets you set up a "party" anywhere very easily, and I see it being really popular on college campuses, where file sharing on the campus network is already restricted.
DanielRavenNest

Postby tmc » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:27 pm

sure.. get a "free" xp generation box typically found at somebody's garbage pickup site.. add a 1tb hard drive ($50 shipped to your door) and there you go.. wont' be a lunch box / mini pc form factor, but same basic principal. lemme see.. a PRIVATE school costing 10's of thousands of dollars for tuition & this is the best idea they can come up with?!?

Boo!

There are routers that support file server function from usb,esata/wifi external hard drives-- so you connect the two-- probably will cost more than what I've stated above, but the rich recession economy yuppies got money to burn. To each their own.

BTW, promoting that people break the law can get an employee of a university... ah.. F I R E D ! ! ! Won't shed a tear for stupidity laden jackass who hits the unemployment line for this. MPAA laywers love to stomp on individuals (and their employers) for ideas such as that.

:lookup:
tmc

Return to Tech/Hardware News