Team Phoenix - Let us make a new p2p client - WinMX 2010

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Team Phoenix - Let us make a new p2p client - WinMX 2010

Postby $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:17 am

About WinMX 4.0
by SlyckTom » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:26 am

Anyone who writes anything to the effect that WinMX 4.0 development has been canceled will be banned from the site, and their post eliminated....

I think its safe to say now that it has been canceled... (no offense meant SlyckTom please dont ban me for this...)

So now that said... Who wants to help make it possible? I say it should be open source, with fragment file support like the torrents. mabe add plugin options to make it user customiseable (ie. radio plugins for the rooms "the host can have his own radio station" and a winmx radio tuner plugin for the users. or how about a user setup profile to be shown to others on a "whois" querry? or how about a p2p webchat plugin? can you say private conversations? instead of custom colours, how about custom skins? can you say half naked women for a background? or favorite sports team? or your favorite____"insert somthing you like here"___?).

And on a seccond note... http://WWW.WINMX.COM was never working on a winmx 4... want proof? then go here...
http://www.winmx.com/beta/
it is the last projects that were forth coming... the last one i see was WinMX v3.60 BETA
what more needs to be said? altho i kinda wish someone from frontcode would let it "slip out" ;) *wink wink* ;)

So any c/c++ programers out there that has the passion and or the free time... lets get together and discuss some ideas to see if they are possible...

googoolog2002@yahoo.com <-- me (make the subject "winmx idea" so i will be shure to read it...) :D let me know what you think and any other ideas aswell... and i hope this post dosent get canceled... i have beem on winmx since 2002 and i want more than anything to see it in it's former glory once again!!!
Last edited by $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WinMX Phoenix - Born From The Ashes
$$_BoguS-CasH_$$911

Re: About WinMX 4.0 post from 2003

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:44 am

errrr...

a (404) Page not found error is proof of what, exactly? :P
MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Postby $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:09 am

O.O ya know, i have had alot of people have that problem... but here is what it says, cut and paste...

WinMX Beta Testing

Last updated November 4, 2004 0945GMT

Overview

Welcome to our beta testing program. Over the coming months many new and/or upgraded WinMX components will be introduced for initial testing in this area of http://www.WinMX.com. The eventual outcome of this testing will be a fully upgraded general release of WinMX to replace the v3 series.

All users are welcome to participate in the beta testing program. However, as with any software testing, you should be prepared for potential problems that may arise. If you don't consider yourself to be an experienced user, you may want to wait for the next full WinMX release.

Current Beta Test

WinMX v3.54 BETA
A new Library component replaces the Shared Files window. The new Library allows for much greater user control over what files are being made available. Rebuilding and refreshing is completely in the background on separate threads. Video files are now scanned for bitrate, compression format, frame size, etc.

Upcoming Beta Tests

WinMX v3.55 BETA
This version includes a very important upgrade to the core WPNP primary connection protocol, and several key upgrades in the Search and Browse windows. With the protocol upgrade it is hoped search coverage will be near-100%, which will translate into vastly-improved search results, especially for rare files. The protocol upgrade is also a preliminary step toward a persistent hotlist (which will be in an upcoming test.)

WinMX v3.60 BETA
File downloads are sourced and managed by a completely new system in this version. AFS/AEQ are gone, also file mismatches should no longer be a problem. Minor WPNP file transfer protocol upgrades. Fragmented file support added.

Sorry, i should have foresaw that. but it helps if you type the url in manualy... dont know why, its what i was told... lol
$$_BoguS-CasH_$$911

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:08 pm

:lol:

no it doesn't ;)

have a look at your hosts file. i think it's a safe bet that winmx.com has been redirected in there to somewhere else.
MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Postby $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:30 pm

MrFredPFL wrote::lol:

no it doesn't ;)

have a look at your hosts file. i think it's a safe bet that winmx.com has been redirected in there to somewhere else.

http://www.winmx.com/ shows this...

The http://www.winmx.com web site is non-functional, for your winmx needs try: http://www.MXPie.info

but after the / add beta/ "www.winmx.com/beta/"
even the link to http://www.winmx.com/beta/beta354.html is still there...
Why your being redirected i dont know, but its all there still...

here is the scource code.

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<title>WinMX Beta Testing</title>
</head>

<body>

<p><font face="Arial" size="5"><u><b>WinMX Beta Testing</b></u></font></p>
<p><font face="Arial" size="1"><i>Last updated November 4, 2004&nbsp; 0945GMT</i></font></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><font face="Arial" size="4"><u>Overview</u></font></p>
<p><font face="Arial" size="2">Welcome to our beta testing program.&nbsp; Over the
coming months
many new and/or upgraded WinMX components will be introduced for initial
testing in this area of http://www.WinMX.com.&nbsp;
The eventual outcome of this testing will be a fully upgraded general release of
WinMX to replace the v3 series.</font></p>
<p><font face="Arial" size="2">All users are welcome to participate in the beta testing program.&nbsp;
However, as with any software testing, you should be prepared for potential
problems that may arise.&nbsp; If you don't consider yourself to be an
experienced user, you may want to wait for the next full WinMX release.</font></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><font face="Arial" size="4"><u>Current Beta Test</u></font></p>
<blockquote>
<blockquote>
<p><font face="Arial" size="2"><b><u><font color="#808080"><a href="http://www.winmx.com/beta/beta354.html">WinMX
v3.54 BETA</a><br>
</font></u></b>
A new Library component replaces the Shared Files window.&nbsp; The new Library
allows for much greater user control over what files are being made available.&nbsp; Rebuilding
and refreshing is completely in the background on separate
threads.&nbsp; Video files are now scanned for bitrate, compression format,
frame size, etc.<br>
</font></p>

</blockquote>
</blockquote>

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><font face="Arial" size="4"><u>Upcoming Beta Tests</u></font></p>
<blockquote>
<blockquote>

<p><font face="Arial" size="2"><b><u><font color="#808080">WinMX v3.55 BETA<br>
</font></u></b>
This version includes a very important upgrade to the core WPNP primary
connection protocol, and several key upgrades in the Search and Browse windows.&nbsp; With
the protocol upgrade it is hoped&nbsp; search coverage will be near-100%, which
will translate into vastly-improved search results, especially for rare
files.&nbsp; The protocol upgrade is also a preliminary step toward a persistent
hotlist (which will be in an upcoming test.)<br>
</font></p>

<p><font face="Arial" size="2"><u><b><font color="#808080">WinMX v3.60 BETA<br>
</font></b></u>
File downloads are sourced and managed by a completely new system in this
version.&nbsp; AFS/AEQ are gone, also file mismatches should no longer be a
problem.&nbsp; Minor WPNP file transfer protocol upgrades.&nbsp; Fragmented
file support added.<br>
</font></p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

</blockquote>
</blockquote>

</body>

</html>

and dont get me wrong, i dont pretend to know the awnsers, but i do know that since no one is willing to take the initive to make a new winmx true to its soul, i will stand in the spot of the one who would gather the tools to get the job done.
Pri is too stubbron, Richie is too untrustworthy, the rest are unwilling. so that leaves me thinking... Would it be better to just get programmers who dont use winmx to help make a new one? the main reason of this post was to find programmers, and get ideas from them and or any others on the subject of wether or not its possible. but i do know and agree with pri, it does need to be open source. other wiese, if the makers dissapear, we will all be left to :wank again...
$$_BoguS-CasH_$$911

Postby sunnyd » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:04 pm

I don't care how you type it in any browser, winmx.com does not take you to anywhere else but another site that is totally unrelated to WinMX.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby Dazzle_2 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:27 pm

I already have such a project underway BC, your quite correct in suggesting there is a severe shortage of programmers and of course information regarding some of the more helpful security aspects of how WinMX operates, to facilitate some sort of bridge between the usual voids of collective wisdom we have a private section on winmxworld for programmers where they can share thoughts and ideas , src codes etc and get help with problems and information that may not be available elsewhere.

Please feel free to drop by the wmw forum and send Ghostship a PM if you want to join the programmers section and I,m sure you will be find something there that will aid you in your project if you truly do wish to get another ball rolling.

As regards the original topic I cant think of why the pie.info host file users may want ppl to think they are some official offshoot of winmx.com but the truth is they are simply a small break-away group of the MxPie.com/vladd44.com winmx resurrection team, if you remove the host file modification you will see a redirect of winmx.com to tixati.com, that is a new bit-torrent client possibly created by those who worked on winmx, no one knows if this is the case or not but the tixati programming language and style are very similar.

As for the potential doom and gloom of folks disappearing with src codes and knowledge I,m sure you will appreciate if the information is shared amongst a group of @30 folks its unlikely they will all disappear at the same time, and that is the key scenario the programmers section was created to avoid.
Dazzle_2

Postby $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:39 pm

main page Image
beta page 1Image
beta page 2Image
beta 3.54 b4 1Image
beta 3.54 b4 2Image
beta 3.54 b4 3Image

Want any more proof? Because i know its there, i have been there... Now there is no such thing as Mars.... :lol:
$$_BoguS-CasH_$$911

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:58 pm

dude, no one is disputing what YOU see. the point is, you are being redirected to another web address. the actual link for what used to be frontcode's website now redirects, as dazzle pointed out, to the tixati website.

once again, if you want to understand this, i suggest you look at your hosts file. the patch you installed to continue to be able to connect to the WPNP after frontcode shut down has redirected winmx.com to another address. do you understand what the hosts file does? it has the ability to arbitrarily substitute web addresses (both DNS and IP addresses) for others. when such a substitution is in place, you don't see the original site.

example:

if your hosts file has this entry:

http://www.google.com http://www.slyck.com

(minus the http:// - the forum software insists on adding that automatically)

then when you try to go to slyck, you will instead see google. this applies to both clicking a link, and typing the URL manually. follow me?

not that any of this is particularly crucial. imo, what frontcode did or didn't say 6 or 7 years ago is of little importance at this point. wouldn't you agree?
MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Postby $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:07 pm

thank you Dazzle_2 for not adding to the doubt, but as to joining a post of programers, i would be out of place.
i have no c/c++ training or experience, thats why i wanted to know if it was possible to icoroporte the features i had sudgested and hinted at. i want to find programers who can work on it and not be swayed by all the rivialry and he said she said bullcrap that seems to be all over winmx. and so they can chooses the best way to make the new winmx faster, safer and more reliable for everyone.

on a side note to all of this:
I see all the rooms, and every room i go in has bots and room fillers and verry few real people... so no one stays in them for long... everyone else is parked in someone elses room in exchange for the return of the favor and people dont realise there are too many rooms and too few users? some rooms need to close and or combine with others. me personaly, i have shut down 2 of my 3 rooms and i am currently getting ready to "donate" the regs of my remaining room to a friends room and close it for good.

i have ideas, that is all i can offer, unless someone needs thier ports set or needs advice on a hardware related issue, i really can not help them. but i find that some of the help rooms do that all too well :P

And yes MrFredPFL i agree, it does not matter what they said... i just stated it to show what were missing...
did anyone else not see the promise of fragmented file support added? O.o
$$_BoguS-CasH_$$911

Postby sunnyd » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:09 pm

The information exists in web archives from 2003 & 2004, but the links posted in this thread are not currently valid.
sunnyd

Postby $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:20 pm

i dont know how the internet works, i just know i can get there by typing it in. and i have been to the little B.S. torrent site, and i think its just that... B.S.

All i want out of this post is ideas, sudgestions "for how to get a project under way and not where to stick any thing", informmation and the assurance that there are others out there in the world who will not sit by and just watch the greatest p2p dwindle and die out.

i have been on winmx since 2002 and it has become my passion, my work schedule revolves around it. if i had know in 2002 that it was dying, i would have taken up c/c++ right then and there. but atlas its too late for me to learn it now in time to help winmx. thats why i want to find the people who can. thats the reason behind this post. the programers can leave me behind, take all the credit, but i will always know i atleast tried to save it.
$$_BoguS-CasH_$$911

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:43 pm

just a suggestion - there's no reason to narrow your search to C/C++ coders. this could be written in any language.
MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Postby $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:53 pm

now thats what im looking for... because i didnt know there was any other way to write a program... XD
like i said, im all ideas. lol :toast:
$$_BoguS-CasH_$$911

Postby sunnyd » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Another thought .... being that the WinMX client is not just limited to users on peer, and there are still tons of users that use the client (all versions) on OpenNap, perhaps if you advertise for coders on a website/s, you may get more all around attention that way (something that stands out strong in a Google search). Nothing has been done in over 6 years, so you need to attract a LOT of attention if you intend to pursue a new version/client.
sunnyd

Postby $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:36 pm

:thumbup: Good idea... i found this website by searching for winmx on google. O.o so umm... what websites would you sudgest i try? i have tried yahoo chat, ares, soul seek, and even stickam, lol. noone wants to seem to want to touch the subject. but websites i have not tried. "every little bit helps"
$$_BoguS-CasH_$$911

Postby sunnyd » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:49 pm

You could actually host your own free website, Google it, there is a ton of info out there for web hosting. I suggest though, that you find a host that has PHP support so that you can use captcha, or you will have spammers trying to contact you.
sunnyd

Postby $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:42 am

thats where you lost me, lol. i have a friend who knows html, i will see what he can do. Thanks for the ideas so far, keep em coming ;)

*After-thought edit*

BTW, some of the users that were on winmx in septenber 2005 dont know that its back, so if anyone uses ares, soulseek or any other chat client, spread the word a little and help them back home :wink: and we might convert a few aswell... lol
$$_BoguS-CasH_$$911

Postby $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:06 am

O.K. I have the website under way, and me and a small team are working dilligently on it... Should be done in a weeks time... atlease enought to publish it... will let you all know... Thanks Sunnyd for the idea. :D :toast:

Found a good online site to do some .gif for the site too. its looking good so far, and were 8 hours in... LOL might be out sooner than a week.
$$_BoguS-CasH_$$911

Postby sunnyd » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:15 am

If you can get coders interested in developing a new P2P client, or continuing work on a previous project, then more power to ya. Personally, I use Utatane, but I have used all versions of WinMX, and I support all P2P file sharing clients by helping others with them daily. A totally new client would be awesome too. :wink:

:toast:
sunnyd

Postby $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:40 pm

ok, so the website is now under way. WinMX Phoenix is up and running but is at the momment still being set up. It looks awsome so far to be a "free" website, lol But hey, what more can you ask for for such short notice? lol, were having a logo contest right now :D Image
if its alright with the admins/mods/host could i post the sites link? if not you can always get it from the image, "right click, properties" lol let me know what you think so far. my first website. i know html, but i am rusty and so i solicited help from a friend. but im doing all the writing so far... lol has a good place to submit your metis scripts too :) were going all out here.
but i know we will fall short in some areas, so all input will be appreciated. btw, were still looking for programers. The Bleem Team is being elusive, XD
$$_BoguS-CasH_$$911

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:10 pm

if its alright with the admins/mods/host could i post the sites link?

go 4 it, cash :)
MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Postby $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:19 pm

thank you MrFred. :D

http://www.winmxphoenix.webs.com

Like i stated, it is far from complete, but were working hard to modify the codes to accept things the host site does not offer. if you get a prompt to install activeX, it for the homepages streaming radio. lol. were working on setting one up for a friend who has his own, but that one will do for now. Were only about 20% done at the moment but there is enough to give you a general idea. :thumbup: thanks again!
$$_BoguS-CasH_$$911

Postby sunnyd » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:21 pm

Site looks good! :toast:
sunnyd

Postby $$_BoguS-CasH_$$911 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:25 pm

:D Thank you. Wish there was a widget for a spell checker. lol But there was one for google translate. :D
Were going for a complete history on winmx and trying to stay non byias and not take sides in the patch wars. but i have the community patched winmx link. :wink:
$$_BoguS-CasH_$$911

Next

Return to WinMX