Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Top Five Newzbin Alternatives

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Top Five Newzbin Alternatives

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:09 pm

There you have it folks, Newzbin.com as we know it will soon be a thing of the past. True enough, Newzbin may survive in one form or another, but will likely become Mininovaesque in its approach. Mininova.org survived its own copyright battle, but its strength lies in its leadership and community. Newzbin has a strong community, but its leadership may not be able to pull it through this very dark chapter. Assuming Newzbin’s next iteration cannot accommodate the needs of the community, some very tough choices need to be made. Primarily, who will replace Newzbin.com as the premier NZB indexer?

And that, my friends, is a mighty question. Chances are, at least for now, no one. None of the current NZB indexing sites can match the scale, size, scope, features or community that has made Newzbin.com the hallmark of the indexing community.

There are several very good indexing sites available, however, prepare for at least a marginal state of disappointment. If you’re a Newzbin.com junkie, it’s likely that you’ll never find a Usenet indexer that will match its former glory. Sorry, that’s just the way it is. But there are a few places to check out in the search for NZB files.

1) NZBMatix – If you’re looking for a site that recaptures at least some elements of Newzbin, your first stop should be NZBMatrix.com. A very full, complete, and all-around very good site. Registration gets you access to NZB files. $10 gets you a lifetime access to all of the site's features.

2) Merlins Portal - If you go by the credo, “if its free it’s for me”, then Merlin’s Portal is for you. It’s completely free for full access to all of the site’s features, you just have to register. Merlin’s portal is good for popular NZB files.

3) Binsearch - Unlike conventional indexing sites, Binsearch is just a search engine that looks for articles. Once you find the articles you want, use the “create NZB” option to get the process started. Binsearch doesn’t have any of the organization of a typical indexing site and doesn’t hold your hand through the process. But if you know what you’re doing, it’s a valuable way to find information. This site is free to use.

4) NZB Index - This site is much like Binsearch, but organizes and consolidates the results of your search queries. This makes the site easier to use, but still lacks much of the organization of Newzbin. You’re pretty much on your own like Binsearch, but ultimately, this might be for the better. This site is also free to use.

5) NZBrUS - This indexing site is a good search tool for NZB files. Registration is required to access NZB files. $9.99 get’s you a VIP account to all of the site’s features.

So there you have it – the heirs to the Newzbin throne. How many will become a viable Newzbin alternative? Good question – we’ve written many articles like this (Top 10 ShareReactor Alternatives comes to mind) only to see alternatives equally annihilated. We’ll see.

Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: Top Five Newzbin Alternatives

Postby ejonesss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:34 pm

"if its free it’s for me" is zeropaid.com's saying too.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby penguin15793 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:41 pm

5) NZBrUS - You can’t download free NZB files like you can with NZBMatrix, but NZBrUS is a good search tool for NZB files. $9.99 get’s you a VIP account to all of the site’s features.

Huh? I'm a big nzbsrus fan, have been using it for years, you can definitely download everything for free, it has a few annoying popups but nothing unbearable. I think they might limit it by retention, but its something like 200 days for free users or something. nzbsrus is a great site, idk why its rated last, i like it a lot better than nzbmatrix to be honest, last time i went to matrix their retention was like 30 days, thats redic.
penguin15793

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:12 pm

pffft...you can't download NZB's without being logged in to either one...that's a recent change.

I'll edit the story a bit, but as far as downloading NZBs without registering for both- can't do it.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:43 pm

penguin15793 wrote: nzbsrus is a great site, idk why its rated last, i like it a lot better than nzbmatrix to be honest, last time i went to matrix their retention was like 30 days, thats redic.

NZBmatrix currently indexes 600 days+, which is longer than any provider actually offers as far as i know.
nzbrus is nice to use, but since i joined matrix first and i dont see the need to use more than 1 when matrix does everything i need (i like browsing so binsearch etc arent that useful unless im looking for stuff that just hit the server in the last hour or so) ill stick with what i know.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby jokster » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:29 am

i have to say never liked the credit system over at newzbin. i've been at the matrix for a few years and i dont have any complaints (except for when the forum gets flooded with 360 heads, but i think that has all been cleared up now). although i do like a wee browse around the groups in binsearch every now and then.
Capitalism Is Cannibalism
Resistance is fertile
jokster

Postby max2 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:52 am

Fartingbob wrote:
penguin15793 wrote: nzbsrus is a great site, idk why its rated last, i like it a lot better than nzbmatrix to be honest, last time i went to matrix their retention was like 30 days, thats redic.

NZBmatrix currently indexes 600 days+, which is longer than any provider actually offers as far as i know.
nzbrus is nice to use, but since i joined matrix first and i dont see the need to use more than 1 when matrix does everything i need (i like browsing so binsearch etc arent that useful unless im looking for stuff that just hit the server in the last hour or so) ill stick with what i know.

Sorry actually NZBmaxtrix is only at 593 days currently. Go to the last page of anything. Newsgroup provider Giganews today actually has 600 day retention xD and tomorrow will be 601 days! I really want to know how high they are going to go lol. Astraweb is not far behind from 600 day retention either. Should be there in 10 days! xD

Poor Newsleecher Supersearch is still stuck at 299 to 300 day retention lol. There so behind.
max2

Postby Fartingbob » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:08 am

max2 wrote:Sorry actually NZBmaxtrix is only at 593 days currently. Go to the last page of anything. Newsgroup provider Giganews today actually has 600 day retention xD and tomorrow will be 601 days! I really want to know how high they are going to go lol. Astraweb is not far behind from 600 day retention either. Should be there in 10 days! xD

I just checked by picking a popular category to browse, the last page looks like this.
http://tinypic.com/m/9kz9ya/2

And the nzb will download fine and load the right files into sabnzbd (they wont download obviously since astrawebs retention isnt as high)
http://tinypic.com/m/9kza5d/2

Its certainly not a complete record of all nzb's past 600 days, but there are some (it probably depends on what group it was posted to and how quickly matrix adds it to the system). It is complete right up to exactly 600 days though.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby max2 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:50 am

Fartingbob wrote:
max2 wrote:Sorry actually NZBmaxtrix is only at 593 days currently. Go to the last page of anything. Newsgroup provider Giganews today actually has 600 day retention xD and tomorrow will be 601 days! I really want to know how high they are going to go lol. Astraweb is not far behind from 600 day retention either. Should be there in 10 days! xD

I just checked by picking a popular category to browse, the last page looks like this.
http://tinypic.com/m/9kz9ya/2

And the nzb will download fine and load the right files into sabnzbd (they wont download obviously since astrawebs retention isnt as high)
http://tinypic.com/m/9kza5d/2

Its certainly not a complete record of all nzb's past 600 days, but there are some (it probably depends on what group it was posted to and how quickly matrix adds it to the system). It is complete right up to exactly 600 days though.

Your right for the most part. Took me a while to understand why you were seeing stuff so old but I fixed it to look the same here as well. The reason your seeing stuff so old is because you set your Default Age Display: setting on NZBMatrix to Usenet Post Date instead of Site Indexed Date. Guessing thats how you prefer it. I had mine at Site Indexed Date.

So I guess Site Indexed Date is only at 593 days at the current moment but Site Indexed Date is unlimited. A little confusing at first. As we all know when stuff gets posted on usenet it is not always immediately indexed that second. Sometimes it can take 1 to 10 minutes and others 1 to 10 weeks. Depends on how popular it is and who is doing indexing. So basically that means the day anything gets indexed on NZBMatrix no matter if it is 1 minute after it gets posted on usenet or 10 weeks it will stay on there for 593 days at the moment. I think that is why it gets a little confusing because it makes some stuff have a much larger Usenet Post Date sense it took so long for it to become indexed. If you ask me we should just go by Usenet Post Date then again that would just cause a whole new set of problems sense some stuff would look old and actually be new in the index.
max2

Postby HEAT84 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:03 pm

BinSearch is all you need. I have it in my Firefox search bar. I just select Binsearch fromthe menu, search and (if I find what I'm looking for) I'm downloading in seconds. What advantage is there to registering and whatever else you do at those other sites?

Since Newzbin runs Binsearch, will it be effected by the ruling?
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby Fartingbob » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:49 pm

HEAT84 wrote:BinSearch is all you need. I have it in my Firefox search bar. I just select Binsearch fromthe menu, search and (if I find what I'm looking for) I'm downloading in seconds. What advantage is there to registering and whatever else you do at those other sites?

Browsing.
I can see all the x264 720p rips that have been uploaded today with a few clicks. Some people dont use torrent/nzb sites like that but many do, and a simple search box is nowhere near as convenient for that.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Perseid » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:10 pm

I realize people are looking for new sites, but shouldn't we start applying a first rule of Fight Club philosophy to some of this? Especially since some of those sites take in money.
Perseid

Postby Fartingbob » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:18 am

Perseid wrote:I realize people are looking for new sites, but shouldn't we start applying a first rule of Fight Club philosophy to some of this? Especially since some of those sites take in money.

You dont think the various trade groups know how to find such sites? A google search for "nzb" for example will find all these sites in a few seconds. Not talking about them here or anywhere else would not stop them from being potentially sued, and helping those new to nzb's find a quality site rather than some second rate or scam site is a good thing.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby awkward » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:58 am

Any idea which of these alternatives do not keep user logs?
awkward

Postby max2 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:01 pm

Wow looks like NZBMatix already went to 650 days after a topic was stated today about increased retention sense Giganews just went to 601 days retention. That was quick. There is plenty of room they said so hopefully 700 to 730 + day of retention won't be a problem for them.
max2

Postby ntscuser » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:10 pm

HEAT84 wrote:BinSearch is all you need. I have it in my Firefox search bar. I just select Binsearch fromthe menu, search and (if I find what I'm looking for) I'm downloading in seconds. What advantage is there to registering and whatever else you do at those other sites?
I recently missed an important download on Binsearch because it had a cryptic title to avoid automated takedown procedures. If I had looked for the same title on Newzbin instead I would have found it quite easily.

There are other titles which Binsearch misses because they've been labelled incorrectly.

HEAT84 wrote:Since Newzbin runs Binsearch, will it be effected by the ruling?
Only wish I knew?

I generally prefer Newzleech.com to Binsearch in any case but it's been down for while due to the problems with the Ukraine server.
ntscuser

Postby HEAT84 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:16 pm

ntscuser wrote:I recently missed an important download on Binsearch because it had a cryptic title to avoid automated takedown procedures. If I had looked for the same title on Newzbin instead I would have found it quite easily.

There are other titles which Binsearch misses because they've been labelled incorrectly.
Yes, that's true. I was gonna mention that too as an exception but I didn't for some reason. I didn't know cryptic labeling was done on purpose though. I thought it was just releaser/poster being retarded.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby max2 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:40 am

HEAT84 wrote:
ntscuser wrote:I recently missed an important download on Binsearch because it had a cryptic title to avoid automated takedown procedures. If I had looked for the same title on Newzbin instead I would have found it quite easily.

Yes, that's true. I was gonna mention that too as an exception but I didn't for some reason. I didn't know cryptic labeling was done on purpose though. I thought it was just releaser/poster being retarded.

Yeah I think that is what most people think at first but it really is not the case. Also finding out a cryptic labeling or guessing what something will be labeled as, when you are looking for it, is really not that difficult. I did it for well over 1 to 2 years and that was when newzbin was out and free at the time. Just glad I know how to do it all manually. I would say 90% of the time you can guess what something is by a cryptic name if you used newsgroup before the old school method for at least a year or so.
max2

Postby romy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:22 pm

2 more greats nzb websites:

1/NZB club: http://nzbclub.com/
it's like nzb index...pretty good website

2/Homie.in: http://www.homie.in
it's like newzbin and nzbmatrix, you can download the nzb directly from the website
romy

Postby bob4egt » Tue May 18, 2010 3:13 pm

I tested most all listed above (and the last couple like homie.in, etc.) and all of them except for NewzLeech.com had limited information if any. I searched for an app called "netresident" which is a wifi sniffer, etc. because that's what I needed NewzBin.com for and didn't find it anywhere except for NewzLeech.com. BinSearch.INFO had 1 result, but NewzLeech.com had that 1 plus many more.

I think I found a new home at NewzLeech.com... RIP NewzBin... RIP premium credits.
bob4egt

Return to Slyck News