Slyck Chatbox - And More

Windows 7 & Winmx

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Windows 7 & Winmx

Postby pocs » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:17 am

Dear all,

Within the next few months, i am planning to change a new motherboard which i need to buy a new OS for it. My concern is if i install win7, will winmx run smoothly with 7? Currently, i am running vista which personally think it's really suck for p2p. I have a lot of problem configuring BT and winmx at first but i managed to get through.
So anyone try winmx on win7 flawlessly??
pocs

Re: Windows 7 & Winmx

Postby HEAT84 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:08 am

WinMX works just fine with Windows 7. Here's a Windows 7 guide for installing WinMX. It only addresses installation and not connecting to the network though, which I guess means that aspect is the same as with previous versions of Windows.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby pocs » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:06 am

dear heat84,

Thanks for the info. I am going to start planning for a new motherboard. it need at least 10 SATA for my 9 internal hard disk to share in winmx :p
pocs

Postby HEAT84 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:57 pm

You know the most files you can share through WinMX is 3000 for a secondary ad 5000 for a primary right? I don't know why those are the limits. I guess you could some how run multiple instances of WinMX to get around that if you need to.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Postby pocs » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:36 am

huh? I am not aware of that, been using winmx for so many years and i didn't realise that. Anyway, i am not sharing that much of data also.

but thanks for the info.
pocs

Postby Snip » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:30 am

Actually, you can share as many files as you watch and they will all be shared, and will appear in search results. However, if you directly want to see which files a specific user is sharing, also known as browsing. You will only get to see up to 3000 of their files if that user is on secondary, and up to 5000 if they are on primary.
Snip

Postby HEAT84 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:27 am

So how does WinMx decide which files to not show? Is it completely random?
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Postby airunreal » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:19 am

Snip wrote: You will only get to see up to 3000 of their files if that user is on secondary, and up to 5000 if they are on primary.

any way to breach this limit?

----
i wanted to set the record for spamming fuckwits coming back long after they posted to edit my post and add spam. how'd i do?
Last edited by airunreal on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
airunreal
Spamming Loser

Postby sunnyd » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:59 am

No, on peer you cannot change that. Use an OpenNap server instead, despite no multisource functionality, the search/browse results can reach a maximum of 65,535 but will be limited to the max configured on the server, which could be anywhere from 500 to 20,000 usually. Not all the OpenNap servers have the same browse and search limits, you would have to try them, some are set much higher than others.

A current list of OpenNap servers listed on GotNap can always be found on this link:
http://www.gotnap.com/index.php/list

For WinMX clients, you can download the .wsx file from this link:
http://www.gotnap.com/index.php/client

Save to desktop, then drag to your WinMX desktop icon and the servers will be imported. You can also choose to open the .wsx file with notepad to view the information and manually add into your WinMX client if you want to do it that way.

For anyone having just an issue with using WinMX on Windows 7, copy your old folder for WinMX to the root directory of C drive (C:\WinMX), and not in programs, and just click on the WinMX icon and it runs, there is no need to install it. Configure WinMX to always run as administrator, or your downloads will not save to disk. Right click-properties on winmx.exe or the icon to always run it as administrator without having to tell it each time.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:05 am

airunreal wrote:
Snip wrote: You will only get to see up to 3000 of their files if that user is on secondary, and up to 5000 if they are on primary.

any way to breach this limit?

----
i wanted to set the record for spamming fuckwits coming back long after they posted to edit my post and add spam. how'd i do?

nearly 3 years - pretty damn good. it might not be a record, but it's certainly noteworthy, asshat.
MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Postby tower » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:38 am

WinMX has lost out to Bit Torrent, which is the method 90% of people now download fresh new (or old) Music. It has never worked properly under Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. I recently installed it on Windows 8.1 and as an advanced user could not find any networks worth connecting too. I am sorry but face the facts, WinMX was good, very good in its day, but its day has passed and very few people are providing the nodes for this network to continue. Even worse there are simply too few users willing to share there library. My Audio Library going back to the dawn of recorded music was online for 3 days. I was connected to 2 nodes as a primary. Not one single peer downloaded anything from me.

I have deleted the software and will not be back. Sorry.
Kind regards, Tom
tower

Postby zbeast » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:14 pm

winmx well there's a blast from the past..
I was never all that hot on it.. it was kind of clunkie software and once it got "shut down" and people had to add crappy patches to it just to keep it going.. I never found it worth that hassle.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby Dazzle_2 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:44 am

It does not suprise me that no one was downloading your fine lbrary of audio gold Tower, it may well have something to do with the network being virtually smashed due to attacks on the primary backbone network begining in 2011 and continuing to the present.

The attacks are multifaceted in that they spoof results to users so the files are never there to download and have virtually wiped out the chat listing mechanism using powerful servers to flood the system with so much junk winmx is unable to find the chat needle in the haystack, and to top that off we have been seeing buffer overflow attacks aimed at a protocol implementation flaw that the attackers seem to have located in the last version (3.54beta 4), given all this its a suprise that anyone can use the network but folks still do and its the chat folks holding the network together as those dont in the main require much in the way of primary network functionality, this then has more to do with its decline than anything else in my view and nothing to do with adding a simple dll patch to a folder.

Much has been undertaken to make inroads in resolving the attack issue by focusing the effort on a whole new client but they are so short of coders that its been some years already and perhaps more to go before they have something to rival the frontcode releases but I still use it and will continue to do so simply to show my support and to make clear to the attackers that we wont roll over and die simply because they want us to :pirate:
Dazzle_2

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:00 pm

sorry to hear this, dazzle. any thoughts on the source of the attacks, or is that something you'd prefer not to discuss where the attackers could read it?
MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Postby Dazzle_2 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:19 pm

I have some suspicions but nothing that I can prove unfortunately MrFred. The "bad" traffic is hidden amongst the 2+ hops region and thus cant be definitively tracked back to a single src without a massive effort to cross check every primary nodes neighbours and compare the results (the bad egg will be the one spoofing their network hops count on search and chat listing requests), they also spoof random traffic/fake IP's etc but they have to be actually connected somewhere to be able to inject their junk and thats the place I havent been able to track down yet due to the needle in a haystack scenario, also I thought if it wasnt this guy it would be someone else now that the critical info was released and so a new client thats updatable looked the sensible future proof approach.

The activity started after King Macro leaked the important primary network protocols publicly as he had drifted off to other interests and wanted to show off to folks how important he thought he was.

Once the genie was out of the bottle we saw King Macro launching attacks and trying to blame others and after some time when he grew bored I believe he passed the attack software over to another to run 24/7 on a server and have seen various new exploits being trailed at intervals to see if they are effective, the speed and scope of the attackers primary network coverage suggest this is the current scheme of things, as you know WinMX is closed src so the whole client is essentially broken severely and we started on the OurMx program which has made some great progress but with just one or two part time coders its dragging on and we have lost at least 70-80% of the userbase across the last 3 years , unless help arrives or others take up the effort I am afraid we will see the network expire within the next 3-4 years if that long.
Dazzle_2

Postby sunnyd » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:47 pm

That's a shame, and also an unfortunate sign of the times as we continue to see a decrease in WinMX users and OpenNap users as well. Many people have moved on to Newsgroups and BitTorrent.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby multivariable » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:00 am

ahhhh! winmx! what a blast from the past!

well do i remember the great winmx outage in late 2005. it was the reason for me discovering slyck in the first place, after googling to find out what was going wrong with my favourite client.

if it's still actually operational, that makes me happy.

not that i'd ever use it again, since there are far better ways to get the goodies, but more power to those stalwarts who refuse to let it die. :)
multivariable

Return to WinMX