Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Giganews Launches Major Upgrade - 50 Connections

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Giganews Launches Major Upgrade - 50 Connections

Postby SlyckTom » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:52 pm

Lately, competition in the newsgroup market has centered around retention - or the duration of time one can expect a message to stay on a server. Most of the major newsgroup providers have retention of at least 250 days, which is competitive with, and in many cases exceeds BitTorrent. The binaries don't touch eDonkey2000's near-decade long retention, but no one reasonably expects them to. So what else can shuffle the customer base around?

How about connections? Currently, providers such as Astraweb and Giganews both have 20 connection accounts. 20 connections come with an Astraweb account, but this was a premium service on Giganews. Today that changes as Giganews now offers 20 connections on all of their services. But what if you have the premium Diamond plan? For no extra charge, you get an additional 30 connections for a grand total of 50. How much of a benefit is this?

Connections refer to the amount of simultaneous processes that can take place between a news server and a news reader. The more processes that can take place, at least to a point, the faster more efficient your download will be. News servers are very fast, but a single connection might be capped at a certain upload speed. With multiple connections, more information can be pushed from the news server to the news reader.

Those who are on very fast broadband will see the most direct speed benefit going from 20 to 50 connections. If you're on a slow connection, the jump to 20 connections will have benefits as well – but if you’re stuck on 760 kbps DSL, don’t expect miracles. Those who have the bandwidth potential to take advantage of Giganews' great speed will. Those who can't take advantage of the speed will instead see better efficiency - processes that had to wait can now happen simultaneously. So in the end, faster speed and greater efficiency for everyone for the same price.

Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: Giganews Launches Major Upgrage - 50 Connections

Postby Liz@Giganews.com » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Thanks Tom, appreciate it.

Time to play follow the leader? :)- Just kidding, had to after the retention phenomena in early 09...

In all seriousness this is not as big of news as what is coming and no it is not another retention announcement. We intend to remain the leader in all the expected areas~ but unlike the rest- we are focused on more then lowering pricing and retention.
The next few months will be a very good time for Giganews Members- were investing in new technology- which quite frankly kicks a$$!

More to come in the next few weeks, and more to follow in early Fall.

Diggin it!
Liz@Giganews.com

Postby SleepyOne » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:38 pm

This is just silly. I get 30 Mbit with 5 connections. Oh well, it's still an upgrade I guess.
I think most people would prefer if they lower their price rather than giving them fluff.
SleepyOne

Postby ntscuser » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:01 pm

My GigaNews maxes out with just eight connections. Can't see any advantage in going to twenty even. Would rather have free SSL encryption instead given the litigious climate these days and the relatively high charges by Giga compared to their competitors.
ntscuser

Postby bolete » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Maybe they are going to issue refunds to all the current members who did not get their 50% special pricing? Surely a group of long standing members deserve a discount just as much as a new one?
bolete

Re: Giganews Launches Major Upgrade - 50 Connections

Postby c0ld » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Pointless. Giganews just doesn't seem to be able to compete atm.
c0ld

Postby malcontent » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:59 pm

As I mentioned on another forum, Giganews is trying to come up with "value added" features/services to justify their expensive usent service and stop the hemorrhaging of their customer base.

Other usenet providers are providing basically the same service for $10/$11 a month for unlimited service. With free SSL included.

Giganews points out that they carry more usenet groups then other providers. Well, I've always been able to find everything I look for from my less expensive provider. I'm sure Giganews customers could also.
malcontent

Postby ntscuser » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:18 am

malcontent wrote:As I mentioned on another forum, Giganews is trying to come up with "value added" features/services to justify their expensive usent service and stop the hemorrhaging of their customer base.
They could begin by allowing unused bandwidth to be rolled-over to the following month's account. That would also stop people from downloading crap they don't really want at the end of every month in order to mop up the bandwidth they've already paid for.
ntscuser

Postby c0ld » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:27 am

You could buy a block account from another provider every month that would do just that, and it would still be cheaper and better than giganews's service.
c0ld

Postby Liz@Giganews.com » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:36 pm

I look forward to your feedback in the next few weeks. We are not joining the race to the bottom, we are adding value.
The above increase and the natural increase in retention are not even in the same ballpark as where we are going.
We will remain on top in all these areas, without a question- but as we did by driving retention to where it is now, we are now changing the game. In all the forums no one has come close to guessing what it is we are up to- and it is such a natural evolution. Anyways, beyond stoked to be working for a Company who is investing in new technology, with their members service, speed, privacy and security at the forefront of all decisions. Enough from me :)- have a good day all.

Liz
Liz@Giganews.com

Postby malcontent » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:05 pm

Liz@Giganews.com wrote:I look forward to your feedback in the next few weeks. We are not joining the race to the bottom, we are adding value.
The above increase and the natural increase in retention are not even in the same ballpark as where we are going.
We will remain on top in all these areas, without a question- but as we did by driving retention to where it is now, we are now changing the game. In all the forums no one has come close to guessing what it is we are up to- and it is such a natural evolution. Anyways, beyond stoked to be working for a Company who is investing in new technology, with their members service, speed, privacy and security at the forefront of all decisions. Enough from me :)- have a good day all.

Liz

Is this new technology going to make Giganews less expensive for your customers??
malcontent

Postby Xizer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Seems silly to me. I can get 20 Mbps with five connections from Astraweb. More than 20 connections is really unnecessary.

By the way - Astraweb offers free SSL, unlike Giganews. It comes with their $11/month plan too.
Xizer

Postby Paladwyn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:04 pm

Feel quite the same there.

50 is way overkill - perhaps with places with a huge bandwidth...but not for my meager 5MB connection.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby NewsgroupReviews » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:47 pm

Cheers to Giganews for the upgrade. Be smart with the connections though. If you max out with 8 then don't bump it up to 50. I know most folks here know that but some readers won't. Each connection will eat up memory so find the minumim number of connections to reach your desired speed and stick with it.
NewsgroupReviews

Postby Paladwyn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:10 pm

I can't help shaking the feeling that this is alot like the way the ISP's used to handle their service. Provide much more than the average consumer can use (unlimited packages) in the hopes to basically double book to increase profits. Then later down the road realize that they need to do heave infrastructure upgrading to accommodate all the traffic because people are finally using it.

Offering 50 connections is noble, but I fear that they are simply offering more to increase their image but realizing that people aren't actually gonna use them....that is until a few more years roll through, and people do want to make use of them...then suddenly Giganews will realize this, a bit too late and the consumer is the one to pay for it.

I hope I'm wrong, but the thought has crossed my mind...and I figured since there is this thread discussing it - may as well discuss it! :)
Paladwyn

Postby bolete » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:38 pm

Giganews likes to use the words "leader", "fastest", and other superlative words regularly. It is almost as if they think if they say them enough, people will believe it. Apparently it works since they have customers willing to pay twice as much as what they could for other services.
bolete

Postby Paladwyn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:03 pm

Like Apple?
Paladwyn

Postby Liz@Giganews.com » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:12 am

The increase in connections really targets customers with high-latency links, more connections will help them wring as much speed as possible out downloads. Customers with low-latency links can also save time and dedicate extra connections in their Usenet client for group updates and header downloads.

We have the infrastructure to support- no worries there :)

What is coming will reward our Premium Customers greatly- not retention- as noted a few times we will clearly continue to dominate there as well, that is a given. These are new and definitely requested additions which will benefit you- focused on our core belief in providing you with a fast, reliable, secure and private service.

We are just taking it all to a new level.
Liz@Giganews.com

Postby vociferousonion » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:07 pm

This is great! :D

Sure, some won't see huge speed increases with 50 connections, but you will be able to process more simultaneous tasks in your newsreader. I'm definitely going to use these extra connections with my Giganews Diamond account!

Furthermore, I continue to hear rumblings about much bigger news to come from Giganews soon! I honestly don't see what the negative talk is about. I think people just like trolling on the internet. The facts:

- Giganews continues to have the highest service levels.
- Giganews continues to lead in upgrades while their competitors follow.
- YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! I like being with the best provider, so I naturally expect to pay a little more for it-- the power of choice! Their prices are what allow them to invest in new technology and innovation!
- Especially with rumors of upcoming big news from Giganews, I wouldn't want to be with any other provider.

That's the way I see it anyway.

:toast:
vociferousonion

Postby humblepie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:48 pm

vociferousonion wrote:This is great! :D

Sure, some won't see huge speed increases with 50 connections, but you will be able to process more simultaneous tasks in your newsreader. I'm definitely going to use these extra connections with my Giganews Diamond account!

Furthermore, I continue to hear rumblings about much bigger news to come from Giganews soon! I honestly don't see what the negative talk is about. I think people just like trolling on the internet. The facts:

- YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! I like being with the best provider, so I naturally expect to pay a little more for it-- the power of choice! Their prices are what allow them to invest in new technology and innovation!
- Especially with rumors of upcoming big news from Giganews, I wouldn't want to be with any other provider.

All I can say is WOW! This is fun.

Anyone know what the word shill means? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

Your screen name just happened to catch my attention on a social network I've seen you on.

How is the Sales Department at Giganews?

It's no wonder you think Giganews is so great! :wink:
humblepie

Postby malcontent » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:17 pm

vociferousonion wrote:This is great! :D

A Giganews connection of some kind. Liz from Giganews, her name is on vociferousonion's twitter page.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=vo ... f&oq=&aqi=

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig& ... f&oq=&aqi=
malcontent

Postby qwoo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:41 pm

Though all tech upgrades are good news I'm not sure this one will make a difference for very many people.
I already max out my 100Mbit with Astraweb and 5 connections. I'm sure it'd be the same with giganews or any other major newshost. I think the key areas to keep ahead of the competition in is retention and near 100% reliability in full-speed uptime. Astraweb (european servers) have had some connection/speed issues now and then this spring. Most likely due to more customers. A newshost that VERY reliably delivers top speeds is worth paying extra for.
qwoo

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:24 pm

Most people using it for personal use won't give a rats ass about 50 connections, when they max out at 5.

Businesses and corporations who use it, would be able to use it.

This is proof that Giganews isn't aiming their service for the little people, just the bigger fish. For the rest of us, Astraweb offers a much more reasonable service for half the price. Why pay for something you aren't gonna use anyways?
Paladwyn

Postby c0ld » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:25 pm

vociferousonion wrote:...

search.php?author_id=35485&sr=posts

astraweb and other providers don't use obvious shills to shitcan their competition, because they don't need to. I'm starting to really hate giganews's spiel here. 'High latency' connections? We're not idiots you know. I'm pretty sure their 'big announcement' is going to be something lame and unoriginal too, like a web interface or something.
c0ld

Postby malcontent » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:52 pm

According vociferousonion's myspace page, he lives in Austin, TX. The same city that Giganews is headquartered. What are the odds of that? Hmmmm.

Also from his myspace page:

malcontent

Next

Return to Slyck News