Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

what to use that is not as traceable as edonkey?

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: what to use that is not as traceable as edonkey?

Postby Dazzle_2 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:20 pm

Indeed not, but I was just after reaffirming the small fact that filesharing has to involve the sharing of files by some method, you are obviously taking care of business and sharing something to others 8)
Dazzle_2

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Must admit to not having looked at the WinMX network in a loooong time - it was my choice of client after Napster folded, but at the time it didn't really support resuming downloads so I moved to something that did (can't remember what though, might have been AudioGalaxy...)
"I'd hate to be a teetotaler. Imagine getting up in the morning and knowing that's as good as you're going to feel all day"
- Dean Martin
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Postby Psycho Ced » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Dazzle_2 wrote:Filesharing should involve file sharing, newsgroups and rapidshare methods of obtaining files are simply leeching methods and its really not something any self respecting filesharer should take part in unless its to obtain something to share :wink:

Actually dazzle, you're talking about file trading something Winmx users are renowned for. So it is ok to leech from from newsgroups to share to your buddies when you should be uploading something new for the users on newsgroups? Rapidshare and newsgroup posters post for all to download and only hope that when they request something people recognize them and return the favour. Many who strictly leech still help the community because they help shoulder the expenses via premium accounts. People who only leech would probably only leech off of p2p apps anyways. I, myself, still host files for sites I have not leeched from in years.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Dazzle_2 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:26 am

No phycho, your talking about file trading, I,m not. Please dont attempt to diss WinMX users to justify your ability to leech.
I understand folks support filesharing in other forms but lets be clear if there is no sharing of files its not file sharing, if we move the definition about to encompass something its not we are merely deluding ourselves.

I believe most content on the newsgroups comes from a core set of users and the rest are leeches, most news group users never publish a single file, if your implying differently then your at odds with every other peice of information I have ever seen regarding the newsgroups and my own observations.
Dazzle_2

Postby Everlast » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:53 am

Try XDCC via IRC. (One on one transfer, but the xdcc bots typically have very good upload speeds)

NocturnalVagabond wrote:
Dazzle_2 wrote:Filesharing should involve file sharing, newsgroups and rapidshare methods of obtaining files are simply leeching methods and its really not something any self respecting filesharer should take part in unless its to obtain something to share :wink:

Here's another way of looking at it:
If I run a torrent app at least 12 hours a day, uploading about 10 gig, while in the same time I pull about 10 gig off usenet, then as far as I am concerned I am still far from leeching. They won't be the same files, but that's not relevant.
Thinking in terms of up & down with only one method is a little limited - I prefer to look at the whole community over the range of methods, as long as you keep up and down IN TOTAL roughly equal then I would say that fits the definition of a good file-sharer. :D

File sharing doesn't mean a 1:1 share ratio, sure on public trackers it should be done to help the overall community, but that doesn't mean you can't download off services which are designed for you to leech from.. e.g IRC, newsgroups, websites.
IRC channels do it for popularity, newsgroups do it for membership cash and websites do it for ad-revenue &/or membership cash.
So either way you both gain something and to me that seems fair, otherwise they wouldn't offer those services.
Ares Galaxy forum maintainer/columnist.

Sure, there have been injuries and deaths in boxing, but none have been serious.
- Boxer Alan Minter
Everlast

Postby Psycho Ced » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:57 pm

Dazzle_2 wrote:No phycho, your talking about file trading, I,m not. Please dont attempt to diss WinMX users to justify your ability to leech.
I understand folks support filesharing in other forms but lets be clear if there is no sharing of files its not file sharing, if we move the definition about to encompass something its not we are merely deluding ourselves.

I believe most content on the newsgroups comes from a core set of users and the rest are leeches, most news group users never publish a single file, if your implying differently then your at odds with every other peice of information I have ever seen regarding the newsgroups and my own observations.

Once again, I've posted on megaupload and rapidshare when someone has requested files I have, regardless of if they've posted anything at all .. last time I checked thats called sharing. Trading could only occur if I said: " I'll post 'this' if someone posts 'that' " which is not allowed on the forums I frequent. And to clarify, it was not my intention to justify my "ability to leech" to anyone, let alone, to you. I was more interested in pointing out your holier-then-thou comments.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Dazzle_2 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:55 pm

Point something out then. I have time to read.

I,m not the god of the internet and I only give my opinion here as the rest of the folks choose to do, if you dont like how I define a leech because it may encompass your current actions then continue as you did by making your opposition to my reasonable definition of the term filesharing, I havent mislead myself in any expectation that you answer to me and nor would I want you to, however if you want to get snotty and say I,m "holier than thou" because you wont accept what is a common sense definition then let me warn you, your wasting your annoyance, nothing you do in your life concerns me, like I stated above I,m just not willing to practice self delusion.
Dazzle_2

Postby Psycho Ced » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:56 pm

You are practicing self delusion if you consider p2p and file sharing one and the same. p2p is a method of file sharing.
You can presume to define filesharing how you want, but when you make comments that those who utilize file hosting sites to share and download our files as not being ''self respecting", (in other words, a method you don't agree with) I will definitely call that a "holier than thou" statement.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Dazzle_2 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:02 am

Nice try, now show me where I used the word P2P in this thread.

I,m glad you woke up to the reality I was expressing , namely that you get to call it what you like as I did, folks can agree or disagree.
Dazzle_2

Postby Psycho Ced » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:05 am

No, you have not mentioned p2p on this thread. But the only thing I was "trying" was make some sense out of your reasoning that the downloading and uploading files through usenet and file hosting sites are not file sharing. The only logical conclusion I could come up with was that you must have meant p2p or think the two are the same ... that was the most generous assumption I could make. Because last time I checked file sharing was merely the act of sharing files. Regardless of the percentage of leechers (which exist on all networks), there could not be leechers if there were not files being shared.
In fact, you don't even need the Internet to share files, if I swap data Cds with friends or just hand them out (leechers), that is still file sharing as, archaic as it may sound, some people still engage in this form of sharing music/movies.

But feel free to explain your definition of file sharing, but I'll repeat once more that, my intentions were to point out your self-righteous comments about those of us who utilize this form of file sharing.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Jera » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:06 am

I figure that leeching is just not the issue it once was back in say, the klite days. With the frankly mental bandwidth supplied by isps these days, coupled with the massively expanded filesharing populous (I use this as a catch-all term to encompass all methods of obtaining files, be it torrents, rapidshare, IRC, usenet, p2p networks etc etc) I don't feel that the anti-leech brigade of yesterday is as valid in their argument as it is so much easier to get what you are looking for from different sources and filesharing is now here to stay. Personally I feel that the anti-leech evangelicals are a bit outdated and i don't agree with Dazzle's statement;

Filesharing should involve file sharing, newsgroups and rapidshare methods of obtaining files are simply leeching methods and its really not something any self respecting filesharer should take part in unless its to obtain something to share :wink:

Say's who?

Is it just a case of being pedantic and wishing to label something as "file trading" rather than "sharing"? Does it matter what it's called? Becasue telling me what I can and can't do (as in not limit myself to a network like Winmx) or what I can and can't call myself (file-trader or file-sharer....) strikes me as being particularly "holier than thou."

Or is it the old "you're a leech," "no you're a leech" argument? I am definitely glad I don't see the endless crap anti-leech avatars as well as reading the endless "scene" threads of years gone by. I just don't see that this thing is going to 'dry-up' now in terms of available content in the way it might have had there been a leech culture when protocols such as Bittorrent were first unleashed onto the net.

As for the topic....traditional file sharing rules the roost in my book, usenet and IRC are popular, expanisve and simplified enough for the average user to take advantage.
Do Androids Dream Of Electro Beats?
Jera

Postby Dazzle_2 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Filesharing should involve file sharing, newsgroups and rapidshare methods of obtaining files are simply leeching methods and its really not something any self respecting filesharer should take part in unless its to obtain something to share

Say's who?

Perhaps if you read the posts above your own you may know the answer Jera, I made clear in my posts that I dont set the rules and benchmarks for all netizens, if people want not to share files and call themselves files sharers thats fine for them, who am I to ask them to conform to my version of "common sense", however I,m glad you took the time to make your views known regarding the topic.

Phyco, I wont waste your time any further your a genuine guy 8).
Dazzle_2

Previous

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet