Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

what to use that is not as traceable as edonkey?

Discussion about the eDonkey program and both the eDonkey2000 network and the Overnet Network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby jgeezz » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:26 pm

I got a DMA thing in my mail from charter the other day and posted about it, thanks to all that applied.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=46703&p=512443&hilit=anyone+get+on+of+these#p512342

I was wonder if there is a way to access edonkey net works but not use edonkey seems like the DMA are really watching it in my area, looking for a under the radar way to access edonkey net work with out throwing up a 100 red flags each time i they to p2p.

Thanks all.
jgeezz

Re: what to use that is not as traceable as edonkey?

Postby zbeast » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:47 pm

There is no way to do a blind connect to a edonkey-emule share.
All ip's connected to a give download can be found.
By it's very nature p2p is traceable.. because bad people can always join your download or put up a
trap download for you to receive.
If your really worried then you should go to usenet..
but it cuts you off from 50% of everything your looking for.
Someone may say route your connect via TOR... Please don't do that that network should not
be use for file trading it's just not ready for it.
In the future but not yet.. there will be a new network protocol called "The Phantom protocol"
it will provide the high performance and security your looking for.

If you can I would just change ISP's...but I bet your living in an apartment or your in a city
where you only have "cable" internet.

Sorry if I was not helpful.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby Ratt » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:57 am

zbeast wrote:If you can I would just change ISP's...but I bet your living in an apartment or your in a city
where you only have "cable" internet.

Switching providers definitely seems like the thing to do. You should punish your provider for handing out IP information to third parties, and opt for providers who either don't give a damn, or manage to conveniently lose their logs - "oops, sorry Mr. copyright lawyer". In my experience that would mostly be the smaller providers, who run their operations on a shoe-string budget...
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:36 pm

ratt: the OP got a C&D letter from charter, not from the copyright holder. what makes you think any ip address info was given out to anyone?
MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Postby Dazzle_2 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Of late I have seen an increase in p2p network disruption techniques in use and have had to apply further resources to handle an entirely new method of atack on the network I help with.
I,m pretty sure unless the users of Emule stay on their toes they will have no chance to deal with these attackers/IP gatherer's, I,m not certain why they are ramping up their attacks but I once again confirm they are and now is the time to create or obtain accurate blocklists that are relevant to the network of your choice, this is the single most helpful thing you can do to stop the interdictors/extortionists from winning by default, sometimes even blocklisting them can mean a "virtual" ddos attack until they get bored.

Happy days :lol:
Dazzle_2

Postby velatire » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:56 pm

VPN? The Relakks service?
velatire

Postby Downloader » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:39 am

http://www.i2p2.de/ New anonymising P2P protocol. I2P is still a work in progress, and should only be used for testing or development purposes prior to the 1.0 release. I2P works by routing traffic through other peers. Not sure how good it is as I only heard about it today. It is still under development but early beta's are available. Keep me posted if you find out anything. :)
SwordOfZork wrote:Just because you CAN sue someone, doesn't mean you're not a total douche for doing so.
Downloader

Postby Dazzle_2 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:22 am

The problem of routing traffic through other peers is that the concept is great in theory but is one of poor performance in the real world, as we all know (I hope) all peers are not equal and this as well as a massive increase in network overhead all lead to a disappointing user experience.
Dazzle_2

Postby Kullt » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:13 am

In the future but not yet.. there will be a new network protocol called "The Phantom protocol"

This is the first I've heard of it. Do you have more info? It sounds pretty interesting to me. :tinfoilhat:
Kullt

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:29 am

downloader - i2p is new??? seems like people have been posting about it here for years...

if it's still in beta after all this time, i'd say that's not a good sign.
MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Postby Downloader » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:08 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:downloader - i2p is new??? seems like people have been posting about it here for years...

if it's still in beta after all this time, i'd say that's not a good sign.

Well it's news to me. :lol: Don't know how I missed it on here.

As for the length of the beta, as long as the project is still active it's not all bad news. (It was recently updated.) 8) I wish them all the luck getting it past beta phase.
SwordOfZork wrote:Just because you CAN sue someone, doesn't mean you're not a total douche for doing so.
Downloader

Postby Dazzle_2 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:11 pm

I beleive this is what Zbeast was refering to Kullt

http://www.fortego.se/phantom-paper.pdf

There is also a project page here for when the project has something to deliver.

http://code.google.com/p/phantom/
Dazzle_2

Postby chainmail » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:13 pm

Except for Japan's popular Winny, anonymous P2P networks have turned out to be a dismal failure - at least as measured by file availability. Download sites like Rapidshare have become a huge hit, and with Usenet growing by leaps and bounds - and becoming cheaper - there's almost no chance that the situation will change. People who want to download files without fear of copyright enforcers are migrating toward usenet and 'one-click' hosters and are joining the many online communities where download links and NZB files are posted.
chainmail

Postby Ratt » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:44 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:ratt: the OP got a C&D letter from charter, not from the copyright holder. what makes you think any ip address info was given out to anyone?

My mistake, I assumed that there had been information released by the provider to a copyright holder.
But if it were me, I'd still change providers. :)
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby Drizzel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:02 pm

zbeast wrote:If your really worried then you should go to usenet..

That is just bad inaccurate information. It will not cut you off from 50% of everything you are looking for. If anything it will increase what you can get. News servers these days have huge retention. Astraweb and Newshosting both have 300+ days. Astraweb even has ssl to go along with that at a very affordable price. Also with sites like Binsearch and Newzleech it is easier than ever to find what you are looking for. Download speeds using newsgroups are far superior to anything else out there. Your line will be maxed always. Usenet would be the way to go. I've never had a problem finding what I need on usenet. Especially now with the high retention and all. If you find yourself in a situation where you cant find what you are looking for, learn how to make a proper request on irc. Dont post a request in the newsgroup its self, it will be completely ignored. I think that little mistake is where a lot of usenet n00bs get turned off by newsgroups. All the popular altbin newsgroups have corresponding irc channels for requesting and chat. Ditch the edonkey network, heck ditch p2p all together.. you wont regret it.
Drizzel

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:36 pm

Drizzel wrote:
zbeast wrote:If your really worried then you should go to usenet..

That is just bad inaccurate information. It will not cut you off from 50% of everything you are looking for. If anything it will increase what you can get.

If you are looking for mainstream stuff, or things released in the last five or so years, yeah.
If you are looking for something 20 years old that never actually made it to number one, or a VHSrip of a movie that was a minor success but never released on DVD, or special interest software that is only used by a small number of people, etc, then no - usenet will most likely NOT have it.
This is what zbeast was referring to. Newsgroups have been around a long time, and their usefulness for rare files has never been good. This is why networks such as eD2K thrived, and although they have died a bit in recent times, they are still the best way to find a lot of material you simply cannot get through usenet. 50% is probably a tad high, but the point is valid.
"I'd hate to be a teetotaler. Imagine getting up in the morning and knowing that's as good as you're going to feel all day"
- Dean Martin
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Postby Gausseliminator » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:11 am

another valid point is that although you may find that obscure vhs rip from 1980, you will never be able to complete the download on ed2k, since there is probably only 1 source to that file and he is sharing 5000 other files on a dailup line.
Gausseliminator

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:05 am

:lookup: Been there, done that, cursed like a truckie at the screen ....
"I'd hate to be a teetotaler. Imagine getting up in the morning and knowing that's as good as you're going to feel all day"
- Dean Martin
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Postby Ratt » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:33 am

Gausseliminator wrote:another valid point is that although you may find that obscure vhs rip from 1980, you will never be able to complete the download on ed2k, since there is probably only 1 source to that file and he is sharing 5000 other files on a dailup line.

Still better than having no options at all, though. I would wait it out for months.
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby lowland » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:48 am

seedboxes are cheap now (I pay 5 euro/month for mine which includes SSL/TLS access), so having one plus usenet access (block account best for me) gives a person access to an endless array of content without any risk. just be willing to pay a little (usually much less than the ISP bill) .
lowland

Postby Overnet User » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:56 pm

Gausseliminator wrote:another valid point is that although you may find that obscure vhs rip from 1980, you will never be able to complete the download on ed2k, since there is probably only 1 source to that file and he is sharing 5000 other files on a dailup line.

haha just have to download many file then...
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby Overnet User » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:57 pm

NocturnalVagabond wrote:
Drizzel wrote:
zbeast wrote:I This is why networks such as eD2K thrived, and although they have died a bit in recent times, they are still the best way to find a lot of material you simply cannot get through usenet. 50% is probably a tad high, but the point is valid.

I get 8.4 million on ed2k and 2.7 million on kad. I wouldn't say ed2k had died.
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:21 pm

Overnet User wrote:I get 8.4 million on ed2k and 2.7 million on kad. I wouldn't say ed2k had died.

I only said died "a bit".
Since overnet and edonkey folded, the network has never really been the same. Not interested in an emule vs edonkey debate either, so the mule fans needn't waste their time. I always found that at least while metamachine was around, the emule devs worked harder. Now, there is little more done to the client. And now with so few valid servers, Kad was touted as the next big thing, but never really lived up to the hype.
Don't get me wrong, emule works and still works well for finding lesser known and rare stuff. The problem is that, although it reports high numbers on the networks, this seems far beyond the actual valid number of sources in most cases. But in our instant-gratification, time-limited society, BT makes more sense as a first option.
You can certainly get a high number of emule sources on mainstream, well-distributed files, but these are usually the files you can find on BT/newsgroups anyway, and can get much quicker.
Another thing to consider is that here in Australia (and many other countries) we live with shitfully low bandwidth caps. Not sure about the others, but the Oz caps tend to include uploads as well, and also the Kad overhead has always been a problem. Put together this can add up to quite a bit over a month of heavy usage.
- Dean Martin
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Postby Dazzle_2 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:44 pm

Filesharing should involve file sharing, newsgroups and rapidshare methods of obtaining files are simply leeching methods and its really not something any self respecting filesharer should take part in unless its to obtain something to share :wink:

I have read all the posts above mine and yet I,m still on the same network I started with, the WinMX peer network , the content is perhaps older and definitely very diverse but thats what folks like about it, its decentralised so theres no server to seize or close down and file transfers are direct one to one, also its got a powerful reputation amongst its followers as being "safe", though this is a relative term it does have some validity, you need only ask yourself when was the last time any users where send nasty-grams.
Dazzle_2

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:55 pm

Dazzle_2 wrote:Filesharing should involve file sharing, newsgroups and rapidshare methods of obtaining files are simply leeching methods and its really not something any self respecting filesharer should take part in unless its to obtain something to share :wink:

Here's another way of looking at it:
If I run a torrent app at least 12 hours a day, uploading about 10 gig, while in the same time I pull about 10 gig off usenet, then as far as I am concerned I am still far from leeching. They won't be the same files, but that's not relevant.
Thinking in terms of up & down with only one method is a little limited - I prefer to look at the whole community over the range of methods, as long as you keep up and down IN TOTAL roughly equal then I would say that fits the definition of a good file-sharer. :D
- Dean Martin
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Next

Return to eDonkey2000 / Overnet