Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

OFFICIAL Frontcode/WinMX spoof homepage project

Postby sybesma » Sun May 02, 2004 10:45 am

Frontcode/WinMX homepage spoofs, anyone? :twisted:

http://www.prolynx.com/sybesma/frontcode.htm

http://www.prolynx.com/sybesma/winmx.htm

Got the font pretty close on the FC logo (OCR A Extended).
Now I just need to get the same shadow effect. 8)
Last edited by sybesma on Sun May 02, 2004 9:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
sybesma

Postby serrebi101 » Sun May 02, 2004 10:49 am

lol, funny!
serrebi101

Postby sybesma » Sun May 02, 2004 10:55 am

serrebi101 wrote:lol, funny!

Bout time we do something for a laugh, eh?

Did you know the domain expires October 8th?

They really have to $#!+ or get off the pot soon or they will lose their domain.

Bound to see SOMETHING happen in the next 5 months.

It would be sad if they only renewed it and left it unchanged, but that seems to be the best hope that it will change.
sybesma

Postby notbob » Sun May 02, 2004 11:06 am

great stuff

i actually dumped winmx after 3.0 "fixed" (and by fixed i mean wrecked everything that was good about) version 2.6

people who say winmx is good now probably weren't there in the 2.6 days (1998 was prime time, and it has gone nowhere but straight down since then)
notbob

Postby sybesma » Sun May 02, 2004 11:11 am

notbob wrote:great stuff

i actually dumped winmx after 3.0 "fixed" (and by fixed i mean wrecked everything that was good about) version 2.6

people who say winmx is good now probably weren't there in the 2.6 days (1998 was prime time, and it has gone nowhere but straight down since then)

I must say that 3.31 works fine, just that fewer and fewer people are using the proprietary WPNP network anymore. That network continues to decline slowly.

The only real use for WinMX anymore is its ability to use OpenNap servers, but since the Napigator server list (and their entire website as well) died, even that feature isn't nearly as useful as it used to be.
sybesma

Postby DaBlade » Sun May 02, 2004 11:41 am

WinMX is a great network(except for the queues). It has a massive community and loads of rare and good files, plus very many people on great internet connections. Sometimes the speeds can exceed BitTorrent. The software may be old, but it's still better than many others. You go ahead and make all the jokes about the page you want(and I understand that), but the software is still great. And if Frontcode really are updating it, then that joke of yours will lose it's point. But it was funny though.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby sybesma » Sun May 02, 2004 11:49 am

I desperately want the joke to lose its point.

I realize not everything in the spoof is factual, but it really doesn't have to be.

It's pure comic relief.
sybesma

Postby DaBlade » Sun May 02, 2004 11:58 am

sybesma wrote:I desperately want the joke to lose its point.

You're most definetly not the only one, lol!

DaBlade

shame shame

Postby moculon » Sun May 02, 2004 12:06 pm

i missed the glory days of winmx and it's current incarnation holds no appeal for me. i wish they'd revitalise their client and bring more users to the network again. opennap is dead, and let's hope winmx can survive, as it has a lot of loyal users but eventually they will move on.
'just because you feel it, doesn't mean it's there' radiohead.
moculon

Postby sybesma » Sun May 02, 2004 12:11 pm

I too dream of the WinMX heyday in 2002 when it was much better than now. It just needs more user security features added to it (encryption/IP cloaking) in my opinion.

I recall having access to over 150,000 users and about 60,000,000 files available at one point, and it was nearly a sure bet that even the most obscure tunes could be found in any bitrate. Those were the salad days of WinMX and I made full use of it then.

(Both my Napster and WinMX usage were the sole reason my legitimate CD collection grew to well over 200 from less than 30 prior to using P2P. I was buying CDs at the rate of 5 or more a week for a few months last year. P2P increased my appetite for music and once I started downloading a lot of songs, I had to have the real thing. I probably have the largest collection of '70s Top 40 tunes in Englewood, CO and definitely more than some radio stations have -- 95% of them rips of CDs I bought.)

Those kinds of numbers have never appeared since the RIAA crackdown and especially the lack of WinMX updates and now the demise of Napigator's OpenNap list.
sybesma

Postby DaBlade » Sun May 02, 2004 12:16 pm

I wonder how long winmx users will try to keep the network alive. There are still a couple of mill users. Many are leeches(to f***ing hell with them), who only help in the network deterioration(and that's why MX Monitor and LeecHammer exist), but still, most users share, and keep the network up. But for how long? I'll try to hold on to it as long as possible, but if Frontcode don't give any lifesigns any time soon, I think the network will lose a lot of users. WPN2 is too old(reason for queues) so they better hurry up making WPN3 and MX4.

DaBlade

Postby kcguy » Sun May 02, 2004 1:01 pm

Hi. I've been reading these forums (and others) for a while, looking for news about WinMx. I was a big fan. I got a lot of good music there. I'm afraid i can no longer agree that there are a lot of "good and rare files" available. I log in there every once in a while and search; if i find anything (rarely) i get into the huge queue. Within a short time people start filling my queue and after running whois on them, i find that 9 out of 10 are sharing nothing (some of them are the mysterious, "britneyspears", "thomasthetankengine" bunch). Regardless of the numbers of people and files the networks show, i can't find the kind of things i used to be able to find; live songs, rare songs nor even current songs.
There is even less available (except fakes) on kazaalite. I mostly use soulseek now. It does have some problems. It goes down some times. There is no multisource and the queues and leeches are increasing, BUT i can find a lot of good and rare music, and in spite of the queues, i at least have a chance of getting some of it (and most of the time i do).
I wish they would update winmx. I'd be happy to try it again.
The parody page is great. I think it's very funny, but unfortunately i think it's pretty accurate.
kcguy

Postby Keyser_Soze » Tue May 04, 2004 7:24 am

roflmfao

Spot on - absolutely spot on! :lol:
Keyser_Soze

Postby king » Sat May 08, 2004 6:23 am

it's funny but true. WinMX is very obsolete and only stupid people still use it!
king

Postby Solomon » Sat May 08, 2004 6:37 am

king wrote:only stupid people still use it!

Ok, Ill bite. :roll:

You got any evidence of this? Or is it just another baseless claim?
Solomon

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sat May 08, 2004 7:25 am

The music side of Winmx may be on the down side but as for movies, Its rich with rare finds. As for ques, I dont mind. I've got nothing but space and time. Napmx, if you still have a list, if you know where to look, can really be the sh!t!
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby DaBlade » Sat May 08, 2004 7:27 am

king wrote:

it's funny but true. WinMX is very obsolete and only stupid people still use it!

And what do you know about it Pinky? Have you tried it? Learned how to take 100% advantage of it? Somehow I doubt so. WinMX is a huge network with millions of users. I doubt they're all wrong fasttrackboy, winmx is full with very rare and good files, and fakes can immediately be identified because you can prewiew files. If you have many friends, it's easy to land a good trade woth high bandwidth. I'm a member of a group called Movie Lovers Paradise, and whenever I want to see a movie, I just go to the chat room or private server and download it.

DaBlade

Postby sybesma » Sat May 08, 2004 10:33 am

king wrote:

No, that's not true.

Only people that are waiting for version 4 to come out are still using it.

I'm not stupid, thank you.

I'm spoofing WinMX in an effort to get them to respond to show they are still alive.

Most of us are beginning to wonder what happened to WinMX 4.x and Kevin Hearn. Perhaps you know?
sybesma

Postby king » Sat May 08, 2004 1:01 pm

sybesma wrote:No, that's not true.

To find a file on WinMX network is very hard! The search system is the slowest and inefficient existent on the earth!!! eDonkey and eMule are the best, this is the true.
king

Postby Solomon » Sat May 08, 2004 1:22 pm

Look folks!!

Yet another ED2K spamer! I havent seen one of those in a loooong time! :roll: :roll:

King, might you care you explain to me how I can manage to download 7 videos (all ~700mb) off WinMX, in just under a week, yet after nearly a month, Im still only 30% through on 4 on eDonkey? Or will you insist on making more baseless announcements?
Solomon

Postby DaBlade » Sat May 08, 2004 1:26 pm

The_Kid wrote:Look folks!!

Yet another ED2K spamer! I havent seen one of those in a loooong time! :roll: :roll:

King, might you care you explain to me how I can manage to download 7 videos (all ~700mb) off WinMX, in just under a week, yet after nearly a month, Im still only 30% through on 4 on eDonkey? Or will you insist on making more baseless announcements?

I can get <12 movies per week(I've tried, believe me, but I did it only twice. Burn em all, except for the really pop ones to use for trades), yet once when I wanted to try eMule, it took me a week to get half a albw(150mb) and nothing more...

DaBlade

Postby WitchHunterRobin » Sat May 08, 2004 1:49 pm

The inablility to download video files is exactly the reason that i personally abandoned WinMX. It's a very good program for music, but for videos I turned to eMule and Fastrack, and can now get all the videos I want that I could never get off WinMx. I remember downloading videos from WinMx back in it's prime (in 2002), but since then it's a very sub-par program for videos.
WitchHunterRobin

Postby sybesma » Sat May 08, 2004 3:59 pm

WitchHunterRobin wrote:The inablility to download video files is exactly the reason that i personally abandoned WinMX. It's a very good program for music, but for videos I turned to eMule and Fastrack, and can now get all the videos I want that I could never get off WinMx. I remember downloading videos from WinMx back in it's prime (in 2002), but since then it's a very sub-par program for videos.

Part of the problem also with WinMX is that the OpenNap servers are not as usable as they used to be since the Napigator list seems to have gone down permanently. Trying to use WSX files I have found is hit and miss, however, there are still a fairly good amount of stuff out there depending what you're looking for. Just that there much less than there used to be. WinMX WAS king and the fact that there's still quite a bit out there (less than other services grant you) says that it was a pretty useful program.

It will eventually wither and die in my opinion if the upgrade never shows up.

We should know something in October when the domain goes up for renewal.
sybesma

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sat May 08, 2004 5:21 pm

Anyone who knows how to work WhenMX can get all the movies they want. I've got well over 600 movies from Mx alone. Alot are rare and took some time to get but elsewhere you wouldnt get them at all. Try finding movies from the 1940's to 1970 anywhere else and your out of luck!
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby king » Sun May 09, 2004 3:56 am

I hate winmx because all slot are monopolized for all time, winmx is an obsole program unupdated since 2 years. eMule is better because everybody download from everybody and queue rotation is faster because slot time takes 9MB
king

Next

Return to WinMX