Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Britons Find Disconnecting Pirates Unpopular Option

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Britons Find Disconnecting Pirates Unpopular Option

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:46 am

A study conducted by ISPreview.co.uk found that disconnecting alleged P2P pirates was a highly unpopular option in battling the transfer of unauthorized material. The UK and France are at the center of a potentially groundbreaking shift in anti-piracy policy, as the entertainment industry is pushing for a "three strikes" approach to stifling unauthorized distribution.

The "three strikes" policy basically works like this. Let's say you're caught uploading a copyrighted work online. Ok, no big deal. You receive a letter from your ISP, and they tell you never do it again. But you don't listen. You're caught uploading again, and in response, you receive a second letter. This time, they're serious and tell you sin no more, and if you do, you'll be disconnected. But you ignore the letter, and again continue business as usual. Once caught a third time, your ISP will then proceed to cancel your account and blacklist your name. Ouch.

What seems like a home run approach to piracy is anything but. The policy, which was about to launch in New Zealand, has been met with staunch opposition. As a result, the revised policy that was supposed to go live last month has instead been delayed until March 27th - and there's no guarantee that it will be enacted.

Things aren't moving much smoother in the UK either. According to ISPreview.co.uk, the idea of either disconnecting or blacklisting accounts is extremely unpopular with the public. Only 6.1% found blacklisting acceptable, while only 5.2% thought disconnecting was a good idea. The idea of suing individuals was even less popular, with only 3.6% approval.

The survey did find some support for tackling the issue. Of those surveyed, 20.7% thought ISPs should get involved on some level. However, the aggressive steps recommended by the entertainment industry have been a tough sell. Those supporting ISP involvement favor a much watered down approach, such as additional letters or restricting broadband access - but not blacklisting, disconnecting or lawsuits.

The bottom line remains that the "Three Strikes" policy is immensely unpopular. The public, who are also paying ISP customers and elect officials into office, are forcing governments to take a second look at a policy that is doomed to fail.

Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: Britons Find Disconnecting Pirates Unpopular Option

Postby Hypnotoad » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:06 pm

SlyckTom wrote:disconnecting alleged P2P butt pirates

Good news, but what's a butt pirate? Is it like an ass bandit? :lol:
Hypnotoad

Postby Dazzle_2 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:16 pm

I think maybe it was supposed to say "button" pirates to distinguish casual p2p'ers from the hard core commercial pirates but however lets move on :)

What is clear is that any ratcheting up of "media company friendly" activity will be met with an increased use of heavy encryption and extensive technological couter-measures from their tech savvy customers who will doubtless lead the way in demonstrating how to elude the snoopers and extortionists who operate seemingly without licence in the UK and other EU countries.

When something stinks like politicians who favour laws that help swell their own pockets rather than the more meager pockets of those who cast their votes, then one has to consider that perhaps its time to throw the trash out.
Dazzle_2

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:37 pm

i think it's a safe bet that it was supposed to say "butt pirates".

:lol:
MrFredPFL

Postby voodoohippie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:48 am

Why doesn't the damn RIAA, CRIA, IFPI, or whatever the names of all the anti Pirates just start their own p2p or music streaming site in which the ads on that site support the artist. I mean it looks like services like quicksnatch.com, Imeem, Myspace music will soon offer the entire catalog of artists and albums (great for Progressive Rock fans). There are plenty of users with laptops who don't want to fill their hard drives with music when they need their storage saved for corporate business or for research date, or some other sort of date requiring must of the capacity in the computer. When you stream music you get the benefit of being able to enjoy tons of artists and albums and the artists get paid simple and easy. One corporation can take the Streamerp2p approach with on demand music so they don't need expensive servers as well. The clowns at the entertainment industry are missing out on a great opportunity I feel because Internet file sharing will never go away. And what about the good old sneaker net where you start copy parties where everyone brings their laptops and external hard drives and has a huge copy party with refreshments and fun and games during the party. I've been to lots of those parties. We even called one of them "Class Racketeering" where you had a classroom type attitude and those that were in need of learning all about cracking copy protection schemes were taught how. Many wanna be software crackers and good crackers attended this party that I went to. In no way can you stop people from copying anything. DRM just doesn't work and we all laugh at anyone who tries to copy protect anything at all. Hell even Windows 7 is cracked and its not even out yet. I think making things affordable is the answer here. Maybe the RIAA should start copy parties and charge an admission charge and have expensive food. Maybe start a file sharing restaurant where it caust say $100 per plate, but there would be tables where you can plug in your computer and copy anything you want. This way you meet friends who are interested in the same type of music your into. There could be separate rooms for Rap lovers, Progressive Rock lovers, Country, Pop, and whatever. New artists would be previewed in the background, liquor would be served and it would be a great time for all. The RIAA would make a killing and artists would be paid. You could even have artists come and perform and during concert night you pay a concert fee on top of the cover charge to enter the establishment. Yes these idiots have it all wrong.
Check out The Legacy Album Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com for the best Album Rock, Classic Rock, Progressive Rock More than "Classic Hits"

Start an Internet Radio Station Legally and even stream Audio Ads.
http://startinternetradio.tk
voodoohippie

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:41 pm

Why? Because that would be smarter...and we all know how smart the executives of those organizations are...
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby muttsthinks » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:55 am

i agree they should start their own p2p service and charge around $29.95 a month let people download as much as they want
everybody should be happy, they will have in effect have the entire world buying the equivent of two cd's a month.
people would explore new music, artist would get free publicty and exposure, made more money for their concerts
they could even run ads on their sites and make more money for themselves. or sell fan related stuff, featurning
their favoite rock group on t shirts, cups, jerserys, posters, ect.

if you can't beat them join them.

when you come to think of it, how much music can anyone really listen too. you could download thousands of albums,
far too many albums you could ever listen too in a lifetime.. they would just sit there. it would be the same as if you never download anything at all i purchased well over 1000 cd's do you think i listen to everyone of them, no they just sit there gathering dust. i think the same applys here people may download like crazy at the beginning and find most of the music justs sits
there unplayed. people would settle down after that and just download a few cd's each month, something new something interesting
like a cheese of a month club. rather than stuffing themselfs with far too much they could even handle.

as for the three stike policy, thats ok, its betten than getting sued.
muttsthinks

Return to Slyck News