Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Copyright Infringement letter

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Copyright Infringement letter

Postby anon111 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:53 am

I got a copyright infringement letter via email from my ISP telling me there was a complaint that I downloaded a movie on Oct 10, 2008. I received the letter today, Oct 27, 2008. I have since downloaded 1 movie on BT (same studio coincidentally) and now I'm terrified. I have searched everywhere and the general suggestion is slow down (or stop completely) the downloading habits and just ignore the letter. I deleted the letter and have since deleted the movie. Actually I deleted it like 2 weeks ago after I saw it was unwatchable. The 2nd movie I downloaded has also been deleted. What other steps should I take? Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm terrified right now. Does this kind of thing happen often (these letters), do studios sue frequently, any other information is welcome. Please. :(
anon111

Re: Copyright Infringement letter

Postby TorrentMama » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:13 pm

First of all anon, you are in the right place. 2nd, calm down, you have NOTHING serious to worry about. You didn't even have to delete the movie. Is there any way for you to retrieve the letter and post it here?

What most likely happened is that your IP address was taken from the BT swarm you were in. Then, the investigative agency working on behalf of the studio send a standard DMCA notice to your ISP. To cover it's liability your ISP was required by law to notify you of this DMCA notice, which they did by letter. This letter does NOT mean that civil action will be taken against you. ie, it's not saying you will be sued. They just want to scare you into giving up file sharing.

Most likely, it's over. That's all that is going to happen. breath. you will not be in trouble.
I have searched everywhere and the general suggestion is slow down (or stop completely) the downloading habits and just ignore the letter.

No need to give up on file sharing.. no need to even slow down.. just get it right.. we need to work on your file sharing techniques to make sure that this does not happen in the future.... let us know if you want more information as to how to lower your risk of exposure to similar future actions.

Does this kind of thing happen often (these letters), do studios sue frequently, any other information is welcome. Please.

yes, happens all day everyday. no big deal. and NO they do not sue frequently. the music industry (RIAA) does sue... but I can't think of one single time the MPAA perused legal action against a lone file swapper... and I've been following this for years.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby velatire » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:37 pm

It was unwatchable because it was a plant. Either download from torrents you know are good (massive amounts of comments) or from a different site.
velatire

Postby Overnet User » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:57 pm

I deleted the letter and have since deleted the movie. Actually I deleted it like 2 weeks ago after I saw it was unwatchable.

Respond back to your isp and tell them that the movie was unwatchable and ask them if they can ask the person who sent the letter to the isp to give you the watchable movie since you got a letter for something that you could not watch. Tell them that you do not believe that there was a copyright on the movie because studios have to be able to read the media to show the movie or your computer has to be able to read the movie and this was not possible. Also tell them that you are aware that they like to disrupt communication by planting honeypot movies. Tell them that if they really want to get rid of filesharing, they should go to another planet because by the looks of it, its here to stay on Earth.
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby anon111 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:05 pm

I deleted the letter and don't want to see it again. :(

It was a letter that said basically, we got a complaint that you are infringing on copyright by sharing a file. It said that no legal action is taken yet, and the company doesn't know who I am, they just know my IP. My ISP said that it will not cancel or suspend my service unless there are more complaints. Then the email had the complaint attached to it which was from BayTSP and it had the details of the movie I downloaded.

I probably should have been more specific with regards to "unwatchable." The torrent was from some engine I never used before and I didn't see any negative comments. It was also non RARed or passworded. As soon as I opened the file, I saw windows media player begin connecting and acquiring something. I closed it right away and deleted the file and torrent data from uTorrent.

In regards to protecting myself better: I have PeerGuardian2 on my PC but I read in many places that it doesn't work. I'm always very careful with where I download from and check comments always. I use uTorrent so if anyone could tell me how to encrypt traffic or something (and explain what that would accomplish- ie: would it hide my IP) that would be great.

I've also heard of proxies and I believe they're used to route the file not from my IP straight to the source but through many other servers, so it's hard to pinpoint the destination (my IP). That's probably an incorrect description so if anyone could explain it better, and explain how to use proxies, that would be appreciated too.

Any other methods of protection are also welcome.

And thanks for the replies.
anon111

Postby TorrentMama » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:08 pm

Overnet User wrote:Respond back to your isp and tell them that the movie was unwatchable and ask them if they can ask the person who sent the letter to the isp to give you the watchable movie since you got a letter for something that you could not watch. Tell them that you do not believe that there was a copyright on the movie because studios have to be able to read the media to show the movie or your computer has to be able to read the movie and this was not possible. Also tell them that you are aware that they like to disrupt communication by planting honeypot movies. Tell them that if they really want to get rid of filesharing, they should go to another planet because by the looks of it, its here to stay on Earth.

be serious. you can tell he/she is scared. and a LOT of people may read this in the future who need serious advice. My biggest contention with your post is your first sentence. Under NO circumstances should anyone EVER admit to guilt. I don't give a fucking shit what circumstances there are NEVER make an admission to any parties involved.

and anon, as far as unwatchable please elaborate.. do you mean unwatchable as in the movie sucked so bad it was unwatchable and you deleted it. Or unwatchable as in the file was corrupt and you couldn't view it?

If it was the latter, then yes, you were downloading a fake.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby MythicalMe » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:12 pm

I agree with TorrentMama, Anon. You have nothing to be concerned about. The MPAA is not actively suing their customers, unlike the RIAA. Your fear is the exact response that they wanted to elicit from you.

There are a number of ways to protect yourself in the future, one was given here. Open indexing sites, like MiniNova, is not place to download torrents. Instead, find a private tracker and site. There is a chance that private sites will be infiltrated, however it's unlikely to occur.

Finally, don't download movies that are playing in the theatres. Wait until they're released to DVD. Usually DVD rips are more watchable. Frankly, I don't understand the need to download and save films to be seen again and again. For me, once is pretty much enough for most titles, but to each his own.
Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither.
MythicalMe

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:32 pm

As soon as I opened the file, I saw windows media player begin connecting and acquiring something. I closed it right away and deleted the file and torrent data from uTorrent.

the movie was apparently unwatchable because it required a codec anon did not have. WMP tried to acquire the codec, and anon stopped it from doing so.

no matter how much people like to blame things on conspiracies, there appear to be none here. there are plenty of reasons a movie could be unwatchable without involving supposed underhanded actions by the media companies. i see nothing here to make me think the MPAA had anything to do with this.
MrFredPFL

Postby TorrentMama » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:38 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:the movie was apparently unwatchable because it required a codec anon did not have. WMP tried to acquire the codec, and anon stopped it from doing so.

ahh that makes sense. :idea:

I didn't even think of that because I haven't used WMP in a decade.

anon, use VLC player.
TorrentMama

Postby anon111 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:55 pm

-I use VLC and WMP. The file was an .avi which is associated with WMP and I just got lazy and double-clicked to open it.

-I closed the movie as soon as I saw that acquiring thing because I thought the file was phoning home or sending my IP somewhere or something. I don't know whether the movie file itself was the real movie or not. I assume it was since there were no negative comments.

-About private trackers: I usually use mininova and I read over at TorrentFreak (or somewhere else I don't remember) that private trackers could be worse in the sense that I provide a user name and password and email which could be traced back to me easier. I don't know if that's true.

-What private trackers do you guys recommend? Is Demonoid private? Others that are popular and safe?

-I know it can't hurt to use PeerGuardian2 but is it really worth it? I mean can't the MPAA, RIAA or any agency just get new IPs?

-Anything else I could do to protect myself from something like this in the future?

-I knew Overnet User was joking :P

Thanks again guys.
anon111

Postby hybrid-god » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:10 pm

-Anything else I could do to protect myself from something like this in the future?

Check your sources thoroughly! Read the comments about the torrent/torrents in question! Do not just assume that everything is naturally legit. :toast:
"Corrupting all of humanity"
hybrid-god

Postby jimmy978 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:26 pm

You can visit this link on torrentfreak http://torrentfreak.com/riaa-mpaa-copyright-warnings-facts-and-fiction-090328/ and don't panic.
jimmy978

Postby dsulsber » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:21 am

The same thing happened to me yesterday. I understand this is an outdated response, but this thread helped ease my worry a lot! I knew in the back of my head that there was nothing to worry about. I got a bad file and now I might start encrypting my connection. Lesson learned and sadly, my internet service providers scare tactics worked.
dsulsber

Postby craftycorner » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:55 am

A peer blocker is a bit of protection as well. I keep one installed in both aMule and bitTorrent and keep it up to date, in otherwords, no more than three days old. Both aMule and bitTorrent can run the blocklists inside their programs so it won't effect your surfing elsewhere. Peer blockers also protect you from phony files and other bullshit you'll find in the P2P world. I've never had an infringement letter, but viruses and maleware are a real problem from anywhere, especially if your running the Windows OS. Linux fears rootkits but has fewer viruses and rootkits.

http://tbg.iblocklist.com/
My God, its full of files!

Crafty
craftycorner

Postby KevinWilson » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:58 am

Well, when someone receive copyright Infringement letter than my advise is must reply for that letter with full of your explanation.
KevinWilson

Postby GrymRpr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:52 pm

KevinWilson wrote:Well, when someone receive copyright Infringement letter than my advise is must reply for that letter with full of your explanation.

:lookup:

than my advise

Law advice?
Let us know when you are a Lawyer.
SlyckNick: wrote:
I abhor what slonceck and suprnova have now become.

The Worst thing to happen to any O.S.?
The GUI!
GrymRpr

Postby napho » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:36 pm

I think an update is in order. anon111 never posted again after this thread, because he was convicted of piracy and sentenced to 5 years in the Louisiana State Penitentiary. He served 3 years hard time and was released to a half way house in 2011. Sure he was broke, an ex-con, and abandoned by his former friends and family, but the news isn't all bad. He now lives quietly in New Orleans with his partner and former cellmate, Leroy.
napho

Return to BitTorrent