Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

winmx, can't reach full speed

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: winmx, can't reach full speed

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:08 pm

Here is a link for a better version of Utatane, that has improved translation, and comes with a user guide. If you are using this on OpenNap servers, you only need to use one port for tcp, but I would try a four digit port, or perhaps another one in your series (the list you sent to me) that no other programs are using. Once you find a port that works, remember to change it in the Utatane settings.

http://www.utatane.webs.com/ Install this in the root directory of C:\ and not in C:\Programs

Again, you did not send me the info for which version of WinMX you are using, it may just be that it is corrupt, and I would also check your bandwidth settings in WinMX, set them to incoming 10,000 and outgoing 10,000 and make sure the process interval is set to 200ms.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:26 pm

If you want to try downloading a different (or replacement) version of WinMX, you can do that from this link...
http://slavanap.org/clients.php
Then click on WinMX, and you can have your choice of versions to download.

Also, here is a list of current OpenNap servers, which in Utatane, as you already know, you have to manually add...
http://www.gotnap.com/index.php/list
(You can go to http://www.gotnap.com/index.php/client and download the .wsx file for WinMX, then right click it, open with notepad, and you have the information to add to Utatane)
sunnyd

Postby pocs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I will try out the utatane and see how it goes, I try to use some of the port which are open and when i put it in to udp of winmx and do a port test, it become connection timed out.. and when i put back in to the origianl one, it become blocked...
Maybe something is wrong with my router.....

i use the winmx 3.54 beta4. I think the first time i need to solve is the router port with canyouseeme.org...
pocs

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:37 pm

I agree, make sure your ports are open, and I will check back when I can, to see if you have posted a progress update.

Good luck :)
sunnyd

Postby pocs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:46 pm

I think my router is crapped.....
not too sure whether now is isp or my router..
Because i just said my 65535 is working and i quickly change it to 192.168.11.12 from 192.168.11.5,
and now the port is not accessible, then when i change it back to 192.168.11.5, it gone, blocked.....lol
pocs

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:47 pm

Also....
As long as you are totally comfortable with port forwarding, then you may want to try resetting your router back to factory reset default (the ole, use the paperclip to reset method) and do your port forwarding again after you do your ipconfig, etc.

I would start fresh if I were you, and make sure you have your gateway correct in the router, and that you are port forwarding to the correct ip on your pc via doing the ipconfig to determine that.
sunnyd

Postby pocs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:57 pm

Thanks, I will arrange it this few day, it require my company to stop internet for a while :(

I will get back to you when i do it :) thanks
pocs

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Hope it goes well, and that it all works out for you. :)
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:05 am

One other thing that I would like to add, is that if you intend to redo your router, I always suggest making a static ip on your pc, so that if your WAN ip address changes, it will not affect your router settings, and you will not have to port forward again.

Once you set a static ip on your pc, then do the ipconfig and set your router to that.
sunnyd

Postby pocs » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:08 am

I just checked buffalo website tech support...
alot of well experience port forward guy have problem too and they claimed before they have linksys and everything is fine.
I think i am going to flash third party firmware...
pocs

Postby sunnyd » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:14 am

I would definitely upgrade the firmware on your router, and in that process, you should be able to make a backup of your settings (most upgrades give you that option in the process).

Hopefully though, it's your router which can be fixed easily, and not the isp issue. :wink:
sunnyd

Postby pocs » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:55 am

I just went to my other branch office and test all the port in the router port forward.....
yes, all the port they open in router are block except commom block,
and yes, sometime it success and sometime it block.
Is this mean my isp is not stable....
my other office use linksys and dlink in my other office, all have same problem...
pocs

Postby sunnyd » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:06 am

There could be two (or more) issues, one of which is that your isp is blocking certain ports, or if by chance you recently had a power outage that has affected your settings on your routers (ie: gateway and or wan ip address changed in your router for some reason). I would start with one router, reset to factory default and start over, and also try using a different port.

A true test is setting the router back to default, do the static ip on the pc, port forward the router, then check the ports you are using. If all routers are doing the same thing, it is either related to a network issue in your office/area, or it has to do with your isp.

You do have internet, so it appears the actual internet is stable, but there are other issues affecting you, that you have to rule out.

Edit: It may also be that you are dealing with a network firewall at your office. Try in one of the routers to disable the firewall, see if that helps in case there is a double firewall issue.
sunnyd

Postby pocs » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:15 am

I think i will use a DMZ and see how it goes...
pocs

Postby sunnyd » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:20 am

I would not suggest using DMZ, other than for testing, as it leaves you wide open, but it could be a test worth trying. I use DMZ for my sons PS3, but that is only for one ip address on my home network, and I would never use it for a pc.

Checking the firewall situation is another option.
sunnyd

Previous

Return to WinMX