Slyck Chatbox - And More

winmx, can't reach full speed

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

winmx, can't reach full speed

Postby pocs » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:48 am

Hi all,

I am a long time supporter of Winmx, but after i move back from australia to my home country, i expereince many problem in winmx. First i know winmx is closing down, second i know my broadband provider suck. Before winmx shut down, i can connect in full speed. after shut down i use the tool to reconnect winmx, then now i can't connect with full speed. however i am not sure whether there is any factor with me that i am moving house and also change a new router.

Firstly, i move from to a new house, not too sure whether there is any connection prolem.
secondly, i change a new router from D-link 564+ to D-link DI-655,
thirdly, winmx is shut down, and i use pie tools to reconnect,

now, i can connect to winmx but can't connect with full speed. maximum speed on upload is around 2kbps, and all my port forwarding is done properly. I have been using winmx for an ages, but i haven't been using for maybe 3 years...i really miss it..

now when i use emule, my upload speed can reach 20 to 30 kbps....but i just don't like emule, it doesn't have many source for my japanese file...

Anyone have the same problem like mine?
pocs

Re: winmx, can't reach full speed

Postby Dazzle_2 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:26 pm

Before I proffer any advice can I just mention that I am a supporter of the fake filtering patch that stops the cartel using you to spread their fakes and filters out fake query results, unfortunately only one of the pie solutions partially addresses this problems atm and for that reason can I urge you to change patch to enjoy the benefits of the better solution and free up your bandwidth by denying its usage to the fake file flooders.

http://patch.winmxconex.com/

The likely other causes of your problems can be laid at the door of firstly your router, it will need to be forwarded on both tcp 6699 and udp 6257, ensure you create a fixed ip for yourself (you can find this information at http://portforward.com/routers.htm).
also ensure your firewall is set up to allow the winmx app to work unhindered.

Next is possible ISP throttling or limiting, OZ unfortunately is a world leader in this kind of " we sell you a service and claw most of it back" ISP deals, if this is the case your not going to be able to work much around these limits , some folks claim strange hours operating helps on odd ports, but who can be sure.

I can confirm to you that the only reasons beside the two problems listed above to have a slow transfer is to obtain your files from a slow or throttled src, a good test to see if this is the case is to drop into one of the chat rooms and ask a fellow user to test your speed, in most cases this will be a nice fast connection and will also put your mind at rest regarding anything being wrong with your set up.
Dazzle_2

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:37 pm

he says he left australia and is having problems UPloading ;)

all else i can think of is to check settings - bandwidth throttle - and make sure it has not somehow been set to a very low number, like 2000 bytes per second. i would hope no isp is throttling uploading at 2K/s :shock: but these days, who knows :?
MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Postby Dazzle_2 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:14 pm

That will teach me to speed read through posts, my apologies gents :oops:
Dazzle_2

Postby pocs » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks for all of your prompt reply.
Sorry i forget to state that i am currently rerside in brunei...
It is quite impossible for isp to block my speed, because when i use emule, i can reach 15 to 20 kbps.
but it is not the case for winmx, when i get back home tonigt, i will try the different patch and see whether there is any different in speed.

hhmm, do we mean if in chat room, one use can test my upload speed if they willingly to excahnge file?

i have try to set up 5 person for upload before, each use will get about 1kbps and sometime all togther i reach 2 kbps...
"is there some kind of setting error?

sometime all together, i can reach 6 kbps...

i hope it is the patch problem..

how is the community in wimnx so far afterall, i was not there for about three years?????

one more thing, in D-link DIR-655, there is there priority system and i am not too sure whether that willl affect my winmx? since there is no effect in emule, there shouldn't be a problem right??
pocs

Postby pocs » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:53 pm

Afterall, it is still the same...
hhmm, how do we know whether the winmx port is blocked by isp? can winmx use another port for tcp and udp?
i have setup my router properly, but sometime the setup wizard is detected ok, sometime it won't detected the port setup.
any help?
pocs

Postby Dazzle_2 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:48 am

You can adjust the ports to any you choose in the Settings panel under "incoming TCP connection" and "in/out UDP", its important if you do change ports that you allow the new ports in the router again.

The install wizard uses ports 5690 TCP and 5691 UDP to converse with the peer caches, if the test fails you can always set up manually for the any particular ports by clicking on the radio buttons provided for the purpose and entering the port numbers.

You havent yet stated if your using Primary or Secondary Poc, you may find using secondary will resolve your problem as it doesnt require the overhead in traffic that primary has to carry, try switching this in the Network panel and give it a try.

Unless as Mr Fred stated above you have the Bandwidth Throttle ticked in Settings you cant control the speed of any upload, as long as your set up is ok they will obtain the fastest connection available to them, It is possible for your ISP to throttle one type of protocol over another but in general they usually operate this policy across the board with all p2p apps so I would expect similar speeds as you obtain on emule.

I,ll ask our resident router expert to pop by and see if they can help with more detailed advice on your particular router.
50% of the network userbase is Japanese so there is always a large proportion of that language content available and being sought, and as most Japanese users are on very fast lines I would expect a whole lot more than the speed your mention.

Can you confirm you allowed the app through your firewall successfuly and are you using the inbuilt xp firewall or an independant program or both ?
Dazzle_2

Postby HalOfBorg » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:33 am

I don't know the router in question, but my Linksys won't allow the room list to open properly with a Primary connection. I'm told it sees it as a UDP flood (I'm just parroting that back) and stops it, so maybe the router is throttling it somehow.

And yes - if you are using the default WinMX ports, pick new ones, change then in WInMX, change them in the router, then restart WinMX. Maybe ISP blocking them.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer: http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

We are The Borg.
Lower your weapons. Disarm your explosives.
Your spawn will adapt to service Us.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby Lady Ray » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi Poc,
Unfortunately from the information you have supplied about your speeds, this will definitely be the ISP throttling WinMX traffic. I help users of WinMX with routers every day and have seen thousands, this behavior is always down to the ISP.
WinMX is an easy target for this type of thing because the initial part of the file transfers are not encrypted and are easy to pick up on by the software ISP's use to throttle (which is why other p2p's like emule wont be affected). When it reads this packet from WinMX it sets the bandwidth to a crawl. For some this may only happen during some peak usage hours and you may want to test off times like early morning etc and see if the speeds improve.

The fact that your transfers work is an indication that it is not the router causing the grief and that the default ports are not blocked, because TCP ports are like windows they are either open or not, and yours are in fact open.

The problems with the UDP traffic wont cause this because UDP traffic gets treated differently, and has a scatter effect when returned to you, where as your TCP is a more precise conversation between two machines and wont be affected by the router if ports are indeed open.

I agree with Dazzle that it may be of benefit for you to use secondary as the resources required for network traffic cause even more bandwidth use, something your ISP is trying to put a lid on, and may allow you slightly more speeds. But overall the only real fix is to find a more p2p friendly ISP, something I feel would be difficult in your area. :roll:
Lady Ray

Postby pocs » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info regarding my problem...
Actually in brunei, our internet is route through singapore and whenever there is any intenret problem in singapore or hong kong, our speed will die too. In singapore since the p2p policy is so strict, then my winmx might be the problem of that.
in Brunei, we only have ONE isp provider so hhmm, i think i really have to give up winmx then. I have tried secondary connection and yea, the speed is limted and perform poorly. I might try again during midnight or something. but winmx need constantly run in full speed in order for my download benefit...

but anyway, really thanks for all of your info and help. Hope winpy will do a better job in the near future. For the time being, i will just use emule for my japanese file...

BTW: beside Winmx and openNap, is there any good program for japanese rare file? hhmm...hehehe
pocs

Postby pocs » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:54 am

Hi all,

Recently i rinstall winmx back, and yea, i can get my winmx to upload in full blast at 32kbps, however my download is really slow at 1-2 kbps, sometime when i come home in the same day, i saw two of my 650mb file has been downloaded. i find it strange that sometime the speed is real fast and sometime it doesn't.

so far, i only upload file and i can't download properly,

when i use the setup wizard, yea, sometime the port is detected properly and sometime it just stuck at the setup wizard of winmx...
pocs

Postby Kenrin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:45 am

you could always use Share

however; it is in japanese. I remember there being some english site with localization files to use but you still have to do the searches in japanese.

IRC is always good for everything once you get over the learning curve and use a decent client. even an mirc script like UPP works good when working with file servers on irc. You just have to find the right channels.

Good Luck
Kenrin

Postby Lady Ray » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:04 pm

Ok Pocs lets solve the WinMX problem if we can here.

I think its fair to say that your ISP is doing some throttling but there are things that can help to ensure that your upload speeds don't take all of the bandwidth.

Basically it sounds like we need to set your Bandwidth Throttle on MX and to do that its not easy for me to just give you an amount to use, so I'm going to post a few links for you to use to help set up and diagnose problems with ports.
http://www.winmxworld.com/scripts/bandwidth/

This page you need to have everything closed including WinMX, then go to the page let it test your speeds, it will then give you recommendations for setting the Outgoing (uploads) throttles and show you how to set those in WinMX. The limit will still allow uploads at a reasonable rate but also leave some bandwidth for your downloads.
Another suggestion is to run in Secondary on WinMX as mentioned, I still believe your ISP is shaping your speeds, this will decrease bandwidth use for you but still give you same or better speeds for transfers.
Id also recommend that you make sure that you're not allowing more uploads at a time then you should, the default limit is 6 on BB, but in today's throttled world its better to go with 3.
We have to keep in mind that without knowing what types of files your after or what types of sources have those files available its hard to say if its even on your end. (I don't want to know what types of files btw, just letting you know that is a factor)
Also be sure that your set to find sources often enough and get into ques. Go to WinMX Settings > Search > on the right you see 'Default Download Parameter' . Select Auto Find Sources - AFS > set this to 10mins. Then Select Auto Enter Que - AEQ > Set this to 100. This will ensure your WinMX is doing the job of finding sources for you.

I'm not sure why on earth your running the set up wizard so often, its really not needed, that is only for WinMX to determine your ports and make sure they are operational and frankly the fact that your uploading shows that the TCP is open at least.
Here is a link to a port testing script, :oops: at this second its offline but its normally up and accurate for WinMX.
http://winmx.dnsalias.com/scan/scan.cgi
If you find it doesn't load a page just save it for future reference its almost always there and you can use it to test ports if your worried.
Most ISPs don't do port blocking anymore and work on a system that detects the packets and this can happen on any port but for future reference you can set WinMX to use any two ports that are not in use by other programs, just make sure router/modem/firewalls/antivirus and WinMX all match.

Right so keep in mind this symptom could be also aggravated by other users your getting files from having issues with throttling, but try some of the above and post back to let us know Pocs :howdy:
Lady Ray

Postby pocs » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:38 am

Hi all,

First of all, sorry for the late reply
Thanks for the tips again,
I finally got some time to test it. I have now tried the new patch and all the trick taught before..yea, i have no luck again, i think it is time for me to stop trying until there is new ISP in my country..Hopefully, winmx will some how use techonology like the one in emule...
something like Protocol Obfuscation. I missed winmx...so much..
pocs

Postby pocs » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:31 am

Hello to everyone again.

My winmx problem has been solved already.
It is finally clear that it is my ISP configuration problem.
I recently change my ip address to static address and here it come, i reach full speed within 2 minutes.
And my program "share" also work straight away.

Thanks for everyone helps here.

Welcome to the world of winmx again ^^
pocs

Postby Dazzle_2 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:45 pm

Glad to hear your back with us again Poc 8)
Dazzle_2

Postby pocs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi all Winmx friend,

I am back again with more problem lol :(

Once in a while, My ISP screw something up for their system and we all suffer for no connectivity.
on the 8th of March last year, My only ISP here screw everything up and all p2p can't be used and no one be able to connect to any p2p related program.
My winmx just stopped working at 0kb and bittorent can't connect to any peer or seed and emule go down to 0-0.2kb and all p2p download at 0kb speed.

During this time, they blamed the cable caused by earthquake near hong kong and caused all can't be able to download anything until June. However in June, everything restore back, bittorrent only download full speed at midnight from 12am to 7am and other hour at 0KB. Emule download at 0KB and upload at 0.2kb and winmx just died out

During this time, I move my computer to my office for testing and it's the same, over here I have Buffallo WHR-G300N router.

So waiting for almost one year. Bittorent still the same and now two days ago, my emule run full speed all day without any problem until now, Bitorrent, still the same as morning can't connect seed or peer but midnight full speed.

So I on my winmx change port to almost the same like emule,
emule tcp - 11012
emule udp - 62579
winmx tcp - 11088
winmx udp - 62600

test today, emule full speed, winmx, upload 0KB, download, not yet, still waiting at the queue....
so which mean I can't upload anything since 8 of MArch last year :(

What could possibly go wrong? Is there any way to bypass or connect it at full speed? ISP blocked?
pocs

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi pocs,
It's not uncommon for isps to throttle bandwidth during peak times, but without knowing who your isp is, I am not able to research that for you. If you want to pm me, I can check some information on that for you (if you don't want to post it here).

As for today, and why you got full speed on emule and not WinMX, are you sure the ports are truly open in the router for WinMX? I would suggest checking your ports to be sure they are open. First shut down all programs that may be using ports, then go to this site http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and check each of the ports you are using. If you get a green success, then they are open, and it would appear to be more of an isp issue. If they are not open, then you need to do the port forwarding again. Also make sure that the ports you are using for each client/program, are properly port forwarded in your router to match the program/client for the ip of the pc you are using. Example, make sure you changed settings in WinMX to match the ports you are really using, etc.

The most common ones to use for WinMX are tcp 6699 and udp 6257, but you can use others, as long as you do not have two programs using the same ports.

Edit: Also, which version of WinMX are you using, and are you using it on Peer, or on OpenNap? It is possible that your WinMX may be corrupt, and you could try downloading a new one, if all other programs are working ok.

Another thing, is that if your ports are not open, and you are trying to connect to another user who also does not have ports open, it is basically a double firewall issue as two port 0 users cannot connect to each other.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:09 pm

Ok, I got your message, and I have no information on that specific isp that indicates they are on the list of ones that throttle, but that does not mean they don't. :wink:

Try to check your ports, and perhaps rule out that issue, before you check further into your isp for issues.
sunnyd

Postby pocs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi my friend,

oopps, I use the web you give me, it doesn't success,
It said connection refused lol.
Sorry, Because i always use the winmx setup wizard, everytime when i see it pass through, i thought it's ok for the port forward.

Does the web only check tcp?
my emule udp 62579 not success
but emule tcp 11012 success
Last edited by pocs on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pocs

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 pm

Are you sure that emule and WinMX were shut down when you checked? In order to have that be accurate, you need to make sure the programs are not trying to access the ports. If some are success, then those are fine, the ones that are not, usually need to be redone in your router.

That port check website will check any open port.
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:35 pm

pocs,
I sent you a message back, and if you are unaware of how to port forward, let me know and I can help you with that.
sunnyd

Postby pocs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:42 pm

I have checked all the port i open in my router and only those i always use everyday work like remote desktop and vnc,
all other port starting with 6xxxx is not sucess, I have send you a PM with my list,

ya, I know how to port forward, it's just seems strange.....ISP level blocked port?
pocs

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:49 pm

I saw the list, and yes, I see that you are having issues with the 6xxx ports. I also see that you use Utatane, which is the client I actually prefer. :)

If you are not using peer, but are using OpenNap, then you don't have to worry about the udp, only the tcp, and you can try to use port 5100 for WinMX, port forward that one, and try. There are many you can use, I am just picking any number. :wink:

Yes, some isps have certain ports blocked, so I am suggesting a 4 digit one, and that you try a few to see if one works. But remember, once you port forward, make sure you also change to the new port in WinMX before you restart it.
sunnyd

Postby pocs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:03 pm

hehe I am using the utatane 0.253 english version, I also like that program. You have a better version? Can PM me the link?

Ok, after randomly testing all the port and all failed until 65535 come to light, So I will set this to TCP winmx right? and UDP i will slowly find the port which can past through and set it in to the UDP version.

If worse case, I will just use this port and set it to utatane and test it there :(
pocs

Next

Return to WinMX