Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Textbook Torrents Disables 78 BitTorrent Listings

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Textbook Torrents Disables 78 BitTorrent Listings

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:01 pm

There's little doubt that the cost of an advanced education is an extraordinary affair. Students are notoriously cash strapped, with tuition, commuting, dorming and living expenses easily piling up. As a result, students often look towards alternative means to acquire what they want. File-sharing has become a desired alternative, well known to college and university students looking to mitigate their entertainment expenses.

Another costly expense is text books. What relevance do textbooks have with the file-sharing revolution? Good question. Like music, movies, and other forms of media, books have also become highly sought after commodities in the file-sharing world. And like music and movies, students are resorting to the file-sharing world to keep their textbook costs down.

Textbook Torrents sought to assimilate into the university student's lifestyle by providing an avenue to trade otherwise expensive books in the ebook format. A great idea if you're a college student, as college level text books can easily surpass $100.00 a pop. For book publishers, however, the thought of living through the same hell as the music industry was enough to order a cease and desist to Textbook Torrents.

"On Friday, we received a request from Pearson Education, one of the bigger textbook publishers, listing 78 torrents that they wanted disabled," an administrator posts on the front page. "While they are acting on extremely shaky legal ground, we are not in a position to fight a legal battle with the organization. As a result, in the interest of allowing the continued existence of this place, I have acceded to their request and disabled access to the listed torrents. Because of the batch process I used, uploaders will not receive the usual notification associated with a disabled torrent."

Slyck caught up with the administrator of the site, "Geekman", who diffused the overall impact on his site

"Sadly, we sometimes have to make concessions in the interest of keeping the site alive. I would love to be able to fight for every torrent, but I'd prefer that the site stay online. It's not an unusual situation for BitTorrent trackers to find themselves in. I know Demonoid has been served with hundreds of such notices and has complied in each instance I know of."

Overall, Geekman told Slyck that Pearson Education only represents "1.3% of the 5,900 torrents currently on the site", and those still trading Pearson Education ebooks will continued to be managed by the tracker.

The C&D notice comes at an unfortunate time. Textbook Torrents was featured on SlashDot.org today, however, the article was published without the knowledge of the take down notice. Music, movies, or text book publishers realize the overwhelming P2P wildfire that can consume their bottom line if left unchecked. Textbook Torrents may have had the best of intentions going into the BitTorrent fray, yet didn’t quite realize the resolve of publishers to avoid “Napster Part II: The College Textbook.”

Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: Textbook Torrents Disables BitTorrent Listing

Postby hiro81 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:45 pm

In my years of university I experienced on several occasions the pain of textbooks costing more than $200 CND and having a resale value of exactly $0 when the class was over, either because a new edition was released (and usually with no or very minimal additions, most often the new editions were a reordering of the exact same information as in the previous ed.) or a new professor was teaching the class in the fall and was using a different text.

I repeatedly felt the professors, university, and publishers were taking me for a ride, and especially so when my text was written by the prof teaching the class (a new edition every two years for the introductory C++ class?... riiight), and when I heard about textbook torrents I was glad to hear someone was fighting back for all of us who got gouged. It's a shame they haven't taken the precautions to protect their tracker such that they could stand up for the rights of their users against the publishing corps.

I can only hope TPB opens an educational sub-system in response.... knowledge is power, and that power should belong to the masses.
Dazzle_2 wrote:I can't see why the prosecutor {in the TPB trial} would be so stunned unless he is suffering from some sort of major culture shock based on the fact folks work together to achieve things without there being a mastermind with an ulterior motive.
hiro81

Postby Geekman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:45 pm

That's ridiculous. You might want to quote the rest of the newspost in your article.

This is not a happy day, but I want to take the opportunity to make a few comments. First, I swear to you that I will do everything in my power to prevent the server's logs from falling into the hands of those that might use them against you. If that means bankrupting myself in the process, so be it. I would prefer that it not come to that, but I have drawn a line which I will not cross no matter the cost.

In the next few days, I will be drafting an agreement that all users must accept in order to continue using the site. This will be mutual in nature, with both parties agreeing to abide by certain guidelines and to uphold certain responsibilities. It will hopefully put us all in a more comfortable legal position.

As a final note, I want to remind you that this site is free and open. Any uploads that obey the site rules are acceptable here, and we have no control over what users upload. Being that we are not in a position to verify the publisher of every book that is uploaded, we have no means in place to prevent you from doing as you see fit in the future.

Thank you all for your understanding.

Textbook Torrents is far from dead. We plan to be around for a very long time to come.

~Geeks
Textbook Torrents admin
Geekman

Postby xforce » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:13 pm

why not turn to The Pirate Bay for some assistance? I am sure they would pretty happy to lend a hand.
xforce the pirate.
xforce

Postby hybrid-god » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:17 pm

/\

same thing I was thinking! Isn't it about sharing? :pirate:
"Corrupting all of humanity"
hybrid-god

Re: Textbook Torrents Disables 78 BitTorrent Listings

Postby Your_Mentor » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:26 pm

I guess that they should of taken it down and relinked it to the pirate bay and re uploaded it. .And let people just continue to seed it. I heard that Professors will get checks from companies if they can direct their student to new text books or use their books for all classes. You hate a class and drop out, you sell the book for not even half back to the school which wlll mark it up another 25percent for another kid. I wish they would adapt to a network of books on their servers where kids could download it and either put it on their laptop or read it from their palm pilot. By the time you get out of college, your in debt. You cant file bankruptcy and you have to pay it all back with interest.
Your_Mentor

Postby lowland » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:38 pm

hosting a bittorrent site in the U.S. is just asking for trouble.
lowland

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:40 pm

Geekman wrote:That's ridiculous. You might want to quote the rest of the newspost in your article.

Which part is ridiculous?
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby Overnet User » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:40 am

get other sites to mirror the site/links :D
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby Geekman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:19 pm

xforce wrote:why not turn to The Pirate Bay for some assistance? I am sure they would pretty happy to lend a hand.

Your_Mentor wrote:I guess that they should of taken it down and relinked it to the pirate bay and re uploaded it.

Yes, because that's not putting all our eggs in one basket at all. :roll:

piXelatedEmpire wrote:Which part is ridiculous?

SlyckTom wrote:Slyck caught up with the administrator of the site, "Geekman", who diffused the overall impact on his site

The article prior to the addition of this bit. I prettymuch covered the details of why it's not a huge concern in my statements quoted in the article itself.

I'm not sure "diffused" is the term he's looking for, though. "Downplayed" might be more appropriate.
Geekman

Postby TorrentMama » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:30 pm

ughh.. you know, I love to cuss out everyone.. and I'm just waiting for Tom to write a stupid aricle so I can curse in the language of Jabba the Hut. :wink:

But forutnately or un depending on how you see things, geekman, his article did not suck. In fact, it was good. :D

and if the percentage removed is marginal, like you suggest, then why would uploading them on tpb be putting all your eggs in one basket?
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby Geekman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:13 pm

TorrentMama wrote:But forutnately or un depending on how you see things, geekman, his article did not suck. In fact, it was good. :D

No particular complaints here. It's rather over-dramatic, but it has certainly garnered a bit of press.

TorrentMama wrote:and if the percentage removed is marginal, like you suggest, then why would uploading them on tpb be putting all your eggs in one basket?

Oh, I misread that. People can upload anything they want anywhere they want. I can't do so myself, no would I encourage people to do so in light of recent events, but that's not stopping people from taking initiative there.

I'm just tired of the school of thought that says "If we all hide behind TPB we'll all be safe and everything will be good." You know, the benefit of the peer-to-peer community is that it's peer-to-peer, decentralized. It can change and adapt and can never be snuffed out.
Geekman

Postby Overnet User » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:26 pm

I just thought that if textbooks are e booked, why hasn't the Google book thing y picked up on them and why aren't people protesting that they don't want trees cut down to make textbooks and that a more viable solution to the problem is just have them all in download/online/hard drive/whatever format so that their doesn't have to be like a bazillion trees cut down instead of just a few books printed and everyone else has digital copies? Seems logical to me and probably to most other college students as well. Why don't they protest about the site receiving the letters and say that now that they want all their books online only?
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby Knucklez » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:57 pm

textbooks are like music (not movies).. you can keep them around forever because they continue to offer value. this makes the book you d/l 3 years ago still relevant. text book store at my school is having its sales down by large percent each year. but it is not because of torrents (it would be at zero sales if more people knew!) but because its way cheaper to order the book online from india and have it shipped direct to your house. include shipping and taxes and rush delivery and it is still half price than ordering from chapters, amazon or your local school bookstore.

torrents.. well i guess it just goes from bad to worse :headbang:

Knucklez
kiss the kitty..

Lossless is to lovers, what mp3 is to bitches ! You think you have pleasure but fulfillment is not there...
Knucklez

Return to Slyck News