Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Jury Finds EliteTorrents Administrator Guilty

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Jury Finds EliteTorrents Administrator Guilty

Postby SlyckTom » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:18 pm

EliteTorrents was one of the largest and most popular BitTorrent trackers during 2003-2005. Administrators of the site were responsible for uploading the prerelease of Star Wars, Episode III, Revenge of the Sith, 12 hours prior to its theatrical release. The repercussions of their actions were swift, as on May 25, 2005, the collective efforts of the MPAA, FBI, local police and US Customs forced the site off line and the administrators in custody during operation D-Elite.

Today's news from the Department of Justice announced that one of the remaining administrators, Daniel Dove, was convicted by a jury of his peers for criminal copyright infringment. His fellow administrators Scott McCausland and Grant Stanley pled guilty rather than face a jury trial.

"The jury was presented with evidence that Dove was an administrator of a small group of Elite Torrents members known as "Uploaders," who were responsible for supplying pirated content to the group," the Department of Justice press release states. "The evidence showed that Dove recruited members who had very high-speed Internet connections, usually at least 50 times faster than a typical high-speed residential Internet connection, to become Uploaders. The evidence also showed that Dove operated a high-speed server, which he used to distribute pirated content to the Uploaders."

The press release goes on say the case is the "first criminal conviction after jury trial for P2P copyright infringement." Most would agree, however, that Daniel stands in a league far removed from the overwhelming majority of file-sharers. The overall impact of this conviction breaks little new ground, as uploaders have always been the historical target of copyright enforcement. Additionally, accused P2P uploaders such as Jamie Thomas have been tried in civil court, not criminal.

Sentencing is scheduled for September of this year. He faces up to 10 years in prison, far longer than the 5 month stay of his fellow administrators.

Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: Jury FInds EliteTorrents Administrator Guity

Postby Your_Mentor » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:18 pm

It was 12 hours before the release and other places had it to. BS. It happened on a Tuesday as the movie came out Wednesday.
Your_Mentor

Re: Jury FInds EliteTorrents Administrator Guity

Postby SlyckTom » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:20 pm

That's right I was thinking of AOTC...
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: Jury Finds EliteTorrents Administrator Guity

Postby Dazzle_2 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:04 pm

When his fellow admins sold him out and cut deals to implicate this guy and save themselves, his cards where marked.

Now would be a good time to start investigating the RIAA and internationaly fluid recording labels for tax evasion, if your going to round up the guilty at least do a thorough job.

Or is the joke "when are the FBI guys going to arrest Bin Laden ?", Never it seems as they are too busy chasing hard core terrorist copyright infringers :roll:

I just thought of a new term for this sort of single focused soft crime detection we are seeing here, "dollar enforcement", its certainly not anything else being protected here.
Dazzle_2

Postby HEAT84 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Computer criminals don't go to a regular prison right? I heard they go to minimum security prisons. Or is that just hackers?
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby none295 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:04 am

Here's a short video using media recorded around the release of Sith documenting the perception of piracy in relation to Star Wars.
http://noneinc.com/sound/Thee_Backslacpkping_With_Media/
File Name: %20-BSWM-SithPiracy.mov
none295

Postby Hypnotoad » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:22 pm

Yep...,that's the foul stench of inevitability.

Admins will be the first to do hard time, followed eventually by users.
Hypnotoad

Postby nickphx » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:08 pm

I told him to accept the plea agreement.. I did my 5 months and got out in april. He said I was stupid for accepting a plea agreement, I told him there's prisons full of people that thought they could win against the feds... I hope he doesn't do much time away from his wife and kids.. :(
nickphx

Postby Your_Mentor » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:36 pm

They got him on releasing something that was released before the actual date, so penalty is stiffer. But it was the user who u ploaded and peeps who seeded it that more likely should take the blame. I wish i had the screen shot of the home page that people viewed that wasnt even logged in. The site boasted about Star Wars III being on the site. I was hoping that all he has to do is show that piracy didnt stop the movie from making over 300 million. It was a big freaking watermark in the middle of the movie. Later people went through and blurred it out.. But it still was pixalated due to a fast action movie. Did anyone connected to ENRON get in jail or actually served time? Didnt some stay out and fight the battle for like 2 or more years without going to jail.
Your_Mentor

District shopping

Postby stashy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:19 am

It's very hard to defend yourself against the Federal government. They have deep pockets and they alone get to decide where in the country the trial is held (which is never in the defendants' home town). You'll never see a case like this tried in San Francisco. A backwoods town in the Virginia mountains would have seemed like a good choice, and the trial outcome showed the Feds chose well.

Daniel Dove will get a minimum of 3 years in prison, but more likely 5-10. The deterrent factor. Anyone having the nerve to fight the charges will be made an example of, and that's why the vast majority plead guilty.
stashy

Return to Slyck News