Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

RIAA Wants ISPs to Act on Piracy

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

RIAA Wants ISPs to Act on Piracy

Postby SlyckTom » Tue May 06, 2008 11:38 am

The RIAA's Mitch Bainwol is back on Capitol Hill, and this time, he's not touting how online piracy has been contained. Actually, quite the contrary. If there was a music industry equivalent of an SOS, today's testimony would be it. Authorized downloads are way down, revenue has plummeted, and file-sharing networks seem impervious to just about anything thrown at it.

In general, file-sharers typically render a high degree of skepticism whenever the music industry describes the piracy situation in statistical detail. However, Mr. Bainwol's description today is within the realm of acceptability. Consider the following numbers testified today by Mr. Bainwol:

• During the past two years, music acquisition has jumped 15%. During the
same two year period, the share of legal acquisition of music has plummeted from 56% to 42% - now less than half of the music is acquired legally.

• In 1999, the recorded music industry had $14.6 billion in revenues – all from physical sales. By 2007, revenues had dropped to $10.4 billion, of which only $8 billion was from physical sales and $2.4 billion of this was from digital sales.

• In 2000, the ten top-selling albums in the United States sold a total of 60 million units. Last year, they totaled just 25 million, less than half of the 2000 sales.

• At any given moment, over 10 million users are online offering well over 1 billion files for copying through various peer-to-peer (p2p) networks or other online sources.

• As many as half of the staff songwriter jobs in Nashville have
disappeared. Thousands of other artists, songwriters, musicians, and
music retailers have been forced out of the business.

Generally speaking, the above testimony from Mr. Bainwol gives a relative sampling of the current state of the music industry. It's no secret that the music industry reached its peak prior to Napster, however the reasoning behind the music industry's decline is where many people diverge. The representatives of the music industry place much of the blame on piracy, while consumers tend to believe the music industry simply missed the boat on the digital revolution.

Believing there's something left to salvage from the carcass of the music industry, Mr. Bainwol testified that ISPs need to take a greater role in preventing music piracy. The RIAA stopped short of requesting government legislation, and instead opted to allow for the marketplace to take its course. In other words, the RIAA is hoping that your local ISP, such as Comcast or AT&T, will take a proactive role in blocking, thwarting, limiting, or deterring unauthorized traffic. If that effort fails, the RIAA has thrown its support behind the controversial "Internet Freedom Preservation Act of 2008".

Considering the backlash that Comcast has suffered, waiting for the marketplace to sort out ISP action will be lengthy at best. Verizon has already shunned the idea of blocking P2P traffic, and AT&T is still twiddling its thumbs. No one wants be the next Comcast.

What about this Internet Freedom Act you ask? Well the nifty thing about this bill is that it preserves the rights of the consumer - as long your online activities are considered "lawful". The music industry supported bill would essentially define what rights consumers have and can expect, and negates the DMCA's safe harbor provision.

"...to maintain the freedom to use for lawful purposes broadband telecommunications networks, including the Internet, without unreasonable interference from or discrimination by network operators, as has been the policy and history of the Internet and the basis of user expectations since its inception;"

Currently, for all its faults, the DMCA has preserved the ISP's right to have a lassie-fare relationship with its consumers. Because the ISP is an Internet provider and not law enforcement, the DMCA guarantees the ISP the right not to interfere with traffic. Now, if something "unlawful" were to occur on a network, this bill could potentially entitle copy right holders to hold consumers and/or ISPs accountable.

Are file-sharers concerned? Hardly. The music industry is shifting away from the physical world and towards the digital at a blistering pace. Like any massive transition, there will be period of decline and loss, followed by an eventual recovery. Whether the RIAA wants to be part of the new order is entirely up to them.

Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: RIAA Wants ISPs to Act on Piracy

Postby Golgo1 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:54 am

As many as half of the staff songwriter jobs in Nashville have
disappeared. Thousands of other artists, songwriters, musicians, and
music retailers have been forced out of the business.

maybe they'll go out and get real jobs. Nothing against real, talented artists of course. It's just that the society and industy of entertainment gives the impression to WAY to many people that you can sing a few songs and become a millionare. So instead of learning, working hard, and getting a real job, they waste time trying to become a mediocre American Idol. How many failed singers and actors are begging for spare change in LA right now. But it's not thier fault, nooo, it's all because of those damn downloaders destroying thier job opportunities.

Entertainment is still a very vital occupation in any society, I just think the herd needs thinning, and the weak should die.
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby hybrid-god » Tue May 06, 2008 12:08 pm

In a cash strapped economy, I don't think this BS would mean anything!! Just another pointless ploy in pointing fingers at the wrong people! :roll:
"Corrupting all of humanity"
hybrid-god

Postby zbeast » Tue May 06, 2008 12:56 pm

Really now, you want isp's to be cops in your war against the public?

They know this will do nothing to stem the tide of trading.
they are just trying to increase the friction of trying to find a track vs going to an
online store to buy a track... :cry:

Which I have to admit they have done.... it now takes me when using P2P 5min's to find a given music track.
Back in the napster days it was about 5 seconds.

But another differences between then and now... Most if all the music I could ever want
I can find at work....or at school because someone always has the latest in an easily transferable format.
I toss my friend an HD or USB drive and not have to worry about searching for anything at all.

Guys the old days of music sales is over and not coming back.
There are lots more distractions for your average person "teen".

They have very powerful competition for the dollars.
Food prices
Gas Prices,
Housing prices,
TV
Movies
Videos games.
Computers.
Schooling
oh ya and P2P.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby Fartingbob » Tue May 06, 2008 1:08 pm

Maybe eventually bands and artists will decide that they need to actually do it for themselves, rather than signing up to a record label and giving them most of the income whilst offering not much in exchange. With the internet, its easier than ever to make and sell your own music and merch, as well as advertise your bands tour or latest album.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby eAi » Tue May 06, 2008 1:42 pm

A whole month between news articles! Clearly the p2p world has been quiet...
eAi

Postby zbeast » Tue May 06, 2008 1:53 pm

eAi wrote:A whole month between news articles! Clearly the p2p world has been quiet...

P2P VS Corporations war has been fought to a draw.

There have been no new developments in p2p applications. (Torrents are now the kings).
The p2p flooding company's are down for the count.
Even the RIAA... has just settled down to just sending Pre-litigation notices to scare students.

Every Time the media company's make a big deal about taking down a site or service..
All it does it to make it more popular.

I'm sure that Media company's will continue there cry for more and more draconian laws to be
passed to protect there profits, but that's about it.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby Your_Mentor » Tue May 06, 2008 5:23 pm

Im sure the payola and stations havent been the problem with artist going out of business and not selling or able to market themselfs in America because no one is on the same playing field. RIAA can kiss my file sharing ass.
Your_Mentor

Postby multivariable » Tue May 06, 2008 6:09 pm

SlyckTom wrote:As many as half of the staff songwriter jobs in Nashville have disappeared.

Surely you can't say that's a bad thing. :wink:

SlyckTom wrote:The RIAA stopped short of requesting government legislation, and instead opted to allow for the marketplace to take its course. In other words, the RIAA is hoping that your local ISP, such as Comcast or AT&T, will take a proactive role in blocking, thwarting, limiting, or deterring unauthorized traffic.

The market will certainly sort out those ISPs that try "blocking, thwarting, limiting, or deterring unauthorized traffic", but I don't think it will be in the way Bitch Mainwol hopes.
multivariable

Postby Paladwyn » Tue May 06, 2008 6:12 pm

I want alot of things in life and ain't getting them. So..suck it up fools! :P
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby Dazzle_2 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:41 pm

Why does Mitch seek to continue trying to mislead, a plain fact regarding CD purchases are that they are on the wane in public popularity and so pointing to this as a relevant market indicator to demonstrate a ficticious measure of copyright infringement indicates another fact, its that mitch is lacking brain power and is resorting to his scripted futile and luddite rheotoric, lets face it he really isnt the entertainer that his corporate-vampire organisation members feed off and fight over.

Get a job Mitch.
Dazzle_2

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Tue May 06, 2008 9:14 pm

I do miss your articles when you're not about, Tom. This one is a beauty. Cheers.
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby hiro81 » Wed May 07, 2008 3:30 am

In 2000, the ten top-selling albums in the United States sold a total of 60 million units. Last year, they totaled just 25 million, less than half of the 2000 sales.

Of course they would love to blame "pirates" for this, but their own industry data tells a very different tale. Of those 60 million units sold in 2000 over 60% of them were back-catalog, ie: releases older than a year, and the marketplace was filled with a variety of chain music stores across America. Fast forward to today and most of those chains are now gone, Wal-Mart is the single biggest retailer of music in America and carries almost no back-catalog items.

Yep, all those damn dirty pirates fault. :roll:
Dazzle_2 wrote:I can't see why the prosecutor {in the TPB trial} would be so stunned unless he is suffering from some sort of major culture shock based on the fact folks work together to achieve things without there being a mastermind with an ulterior motive.
hiro81

Postby FredTheMole » Wed May 07, 2008 6:35 am

I must say that It'll be a somewhat sad day when physical distribution ends... I think we all take it for granted that if it weren't for a rather dedicated group of crackers DRM would be quite the bitch to deal with in a 100% online marketplace.
"The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object." ~Thomas Jefferson
Transfers Since 2004-DEC-01: DL-1.5709TiB UL-3.3383TiB TTL-4.9092TiB U/D-2.125
FredTheMole

Postby ioniancat21 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:14 pm

I'm happy to see all you Hollywood losers, musicians, RIAA, and all of the other associated idiots getting yours as it's well deserved. If I could have the priviledge of seeing all of you go out of business I would give up listening to music and watching movies permanently. A great saying goes "a fool and his money are lucky to come together". The music and movie industry is exactly the same, just a band of losers who couldn't cut it working a real job. Time to get back to work like the rest of us, the free ride is over.

DAMN YOUR INDUSTRY TO HELL, I HOPE TO SEE YOU BANKRUPT SOON.......
ioniancat21

Postby voodoohippie » Fri May 09, 2008 11:25 pm

What about Indie music labels? Oh I suppose they've forgot about them. I got news for the industry. I have heard on a UK website that groups that were known in the college Radio scene are starting to become popular in the US. Yup groups like Stone Roses, Lords Of Acid, Tripmaster Monkey, and a host of acid techno, Metal, and Rock artists well known on college Radio stations are starting to become more popular. the real reason artists are failing is because ever since the early 80's when MTV got sued for not playing enough black artists in their VJ format caused a sway towards Rap and Hip Hop to be played on MTV and Radio. During this time many artists of other genres were simply ignored.

If the music isn't introduced to the masses how do you expect anyone to buy from artists they've never heard from? Even Internet Radio about faced extinction because of ASCAP, DMCA, and a host of other royalties that a station would have to pay. Wow you alienate the fans and then bitch because no one is buying your product.

Indie labels have been enjoying a higher sales record then ever before. Mostly from well educated students with high GPA's because of those lower powered college Radio stations. So bitch about piracy all you want and try and destroy p2p it won't make a difference for you. For corporate Rock, pop, and this new so-called country music you tote as real country music is simply a mix between pop and easy listening and redone Rock songs with a synthesized fiddle. Get back to the basics where people actually play a musical instrument, not re sample someone's work and call it your own. While you are in your playschool record studio, the real indie musicians will triumph over you for just like in the 70's some of this stuff that is sold now would be considered garage music material at best. Thank God here in NC the southern people have it right and their playing the classics and indie bands.
Check out The Legacy Album Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com for the best Album Rock, Classic Rock, Progressive Rock More than "Classic Hits"

Start an Internet Radio Station Legally and even stream Audio Ads.
http://startinternetradio.tk
voodoohippie

Postby craftycorner » Sun May 11, 2008 2:05 am

multivariable wrote:
SlyckTom wrote:As many as half of the staff songwriter jobs in Nashville have disappeared.

Surely you can't say that's a bad thing. :wink:

SlyckTom wrote:The RIAA stopped short of requesting government legislation, and instead opted to allow for the marketplace to take its course. In other words, the RIAA is hoping that your local ISP, such as Comcast or AT&T, will take a proactive role in blocking, thwarting, limiting, or deterring unauthorized traffic.

The market will certainly sort out those ISPs that try "blocking, thwarting, limiting, or deterring unauthorized traffic", but I don't think it will be in the way Bitch Mainwol hopes.

And if the ISP's who decide to swallow RIAA's tripe do attempt to play dat game, they may discover 'inside issues'!

Filetrading techs in the machine....
My God, its full of files!

Crafty
craftycorner

Postby Wareagle » Sun May 11, 2008 7:23 pm

Is it just me or was 2007 an absolute shit year for music? I'm almost 24 and tend to listen to rock, metal, etc, but in the last year or so, I've been getting more and more into classic rock and older music.

It's no surprise to me that sales of new music were in the toilet last year, given that the music itself also was.
Wareagle

Postby craftycorner » Mon May 12, 2008 2:32 am

Nerdcore is funny.
My God, its full of files!

Crafty
craftycorner

Postby lordfoul » Tue May 27, 2008 4:07 am

he
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby lordfoul » Tue May 27, 2008 4:07 am

he
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Return to Slyck News