Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Apple Doubles Capacity of iPhone and iPod Touch

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Apple Doubles Capacity of iPhone and iPod Touch

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:26 pm

One day, we'll all own MP3 players with infinite capacity. Until that time, however, the challenges of bigger, faster, and smaller, plague our portable devices. Have a 4 gig Nano? It sure would've been nice to have an 8 gig model. Did you just shell out $400 on a new 8 gig iPhone? That's too bad, because Apple announced today a new line of high capacity iPhone and iPod Touch.

The new iPhone has a capacity of 16 gigabytes, while the new iPod Touch has a 32 gigabyte capacity. Those are some impressive numbers, especially for a glorified phone. Let's put those numbers into perspective...

With a 16 gigs capacity, which likely equates to around 15 gigs of usable storage, the end user can store approximately 3 full size DVD movies (approximately 4.7 gigs each.) Alternatively, the end user can store 10 XviD movies, if each one was compressed to 1.5 gigabytes. If the end user wants to go old school with 750 meg XviD movies, then 20 full length movies can be accommodated by the iPhone. Now, these files still need to be converted into format the iPod/iPhone can accept. Although timeliness the process is considerable, the result is a much smaller file size. Those 20 XviD movies could easily become 30 or more.

Just double those numbers if the 32 gig iPod Touch is your preference.

If music is more your thing, the iPhone at 16 gigabytes can probably store even the most aggressive music collection. Most MP3s available online generally range between 5-10 megabytes. Spitting the difference at 7.5 megabytes give the iPhone the capacity to accommodate 2,133 songs. If that's a bit too small and need more MP3 capacity than you ever thought possible, the new Touch will store over 4,000 songs.

While these numbers may seem staggeringly unnecessary, a point to remember is there is never enough capacity. With the growth and ubiquity of broadband, file sizes are marching upward. Only 3 years ago, the most common file size for a movie was approximately 750 megabytes. Today, 1.5 gigabytes has become the standard. Music file sizes are also creeping upwards, and it's interesting to see that Apple recognizes this - considering iTunes file sizes remain stagnant.

Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: Apple Doubles Capacity of iPhone and iPod Touch

Postby Psycho Ced » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:35 pm

Interesting, I've never used one (outside of a store), but couldn't you get even more out it if you format your movies for you Ipod. With my PSP and my LifeDrive it cuts full length movies down to about 350-450MB when I convert to their respective formats.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:41 pm

That's right...these stupid things aren't compatible with AVI files...compressing them to an iPod format would probably double what I wrote above...
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby velatire » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:16 pm

Hmm, $500 for a 32GB touch with 480×320 screen and missing the ability to play unconverted files....

Or $400 for a 160GB Archos 605 wifi with 800x480 screen that can play almost everything, including straight .vob files, and has a full linux distro....
velatire

Postby sackhoff » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:18 pm

with drives getting larger, better codecs are being used to compress movies smaller and smaller. It's just Apple's way of saturating the market with different flavors of ipods. With the actual cost to make these units, and the "Apple Tax" associated with each, they can afford to saturate the market with their fluff.

Did Apple announce 3G with the "new" phones? I'm sure some poor Apple saps will buy the "new" phone and within 3 months Apple will come out with 3G phones and piss off their consumers yet again. Of course, they'll complain till Apple gives them a $20 gift card to the Apple store for crud that costs at least $100 and they don't really need. Gratz to Apple for continually pulling the wool over the eyes of your consumers.
sackhoff

Postby shortnose batfish » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:34 pm

SlyckTom wrote:If the end user wants to go old school with 750 gig XviD movies

think that should be megabytes :D
shortnose batfish

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:34 pm

SlyckTom wrote:That's right...these stupid things aren't compatible with AVI files...

:lol: nice opinion piece Tom ;)
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby Psycho Ced » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:05 pm

fischju wrote:Hmm, $500 for a 32GB touch with 480×320 screen and missing the ability to play unconverted files....

Or $400 for a 160GB Archos 605 wifi with 800x480 screen that can play almost everything, including straight .vob files, and has a full linux distro....

I've also looked into Archos. They use a real HDD, have lower battery life and tend to be heavier and are typically less mobile because of this. They also like to "nickel and dime" everything. Is the browser and extra codecs, not separate add-ons that need to be purchased?
Last edited by Psycho Ced on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby velatire » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:24 pm

Psycho Ced wrote:
fischju wrote:Hmm, $500 for a 32GB touch with 480×320 screen and missing the ability to play unconverted files....

I've also look into Archos. They use a real HDD, have lower battery life and tend to be heavier and is typical lose mobile because of this. They also like to "nickel and dime" everything. Is the browser and extra codecs, not separate add-ons that need to be purchased?

There are 4GB with SD, 20GB, 30GB, 40GB, (I think 60GB...), 80GB, and 160GB versions, the last 3 are much larger than the first 3. But $30 for a "battery dock" increases the life 50% and it has a TV Out, USB out, USB in (for thumb drives, external HDDs) and DC in (meaning those cheap battery packs also work very easily). My 4GB is about twice as thick as a Touch...which is still small.

The current hacking team won't crack the plugins, so if you want to play .vobs or AAC audio you need codecs, and flash for the web browser costs $$. But the current hacking team does have keyboards/mouses working with said dock(s), and the system has a 500+mhz proc and 64MB of RAM. For the long run, it's a much better investment.
velatire

Postby allanp22 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:22 pm

I bought an Ipod touch 16GB 2 weeks ago.
I use Videora to do conversion: http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/
A 700mb xvid becomes 590mb
a 350mb episode of a TV show becomes 275mb.

I also like the capacity to play Youtube video directly via WIFI. That's cute.
The web browsing interface is also nice, i surprise myself reading some newspapers with it.
Anyway, it doesn't have a fantastic storage capacity. I did research what format it could read and Videora appeared decent enough to get what I wanted. The wireless capacity was my decision factor over similar devices with better video playback and I don't regret it.
allanp22

Postby velatire » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:41 am

allanp22 wrote:I bought an Ipod touch 16GB 2 weeks ago.
I use Videora to do conversion: http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/
A 700mb xvid becomes 590mb
a 350mb episode of a TV show becomes 275mb.

I also like the capacity to play Youtube video directly via WIFI. That's cute.
The web browsing interface is also nice, i surprise myself reading some newspapers with it.
Anyway, it doesn't have a fantastic storage capacity. I did research what format it could read and Videora appeared decent enough to get what I wanted. The wireless capacity was my decision factor over similar devices with better video playback and I don't regret it.

The 605 can do exactly the same thing (youtube videos) and the web browser is much better with all of the extra pixels (about twice as many) >_< (and so can at least 2 other products...) (oh, and converting makes it smaller [most likely] because it decreases the resolution....)
velatire

Postby Fartingbob » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:10 am

With such a small resolution and screen size i dont see why you would need anything more than a 350mb movie. If they allowed more formats (x264 ftw!) then 350mb would look basically the same as a blu-ray movie on the small screens. Unless you watch your movies from 2 inches away, but that would likely cause headaches.
mp3 players are perfect for playing music on the go, cant really say the same for video.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Ratt » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:23 pm

Psycho Ced wrote:I've also looked into Archos. They use a real HDD, have lower battery life and tend to be heavier and are typically less mobile because of this. They also like to "nickel and dime" everything. Is the browser and extra codecs, not separate add-ons that need to be purchased?

Yeah man. That Archos is relatively big and heavy when compared to the iTouch and similar devices. If you're going to lug that kind of thing around just to watch movies, you might as well spend it on a UMPC or a MID instead (or even a Asus Eee) and actually get some work done in addition to watching movies on it (the Archos has some extras, but nowhere near enough to turn it into any kind of laptop replacement.)

Also, no Archos can keep up with the increasingly high-def formats that are becoming available for download, everywhere (it definitely would not play any of the TV series I've downloaded over the past year). It's a losing battle for Archos...why not accept that a little conversion is inevitable? It doesn't take that much effort.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby Fartingbob » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:58 pm

I dont have to convert video files to play them on my PC. All it takes is the right codec and you can play anything. There is no excuse why they limit what you can play so much. Every manufacturer is guilty of it, Archos are the least guilty though.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby velatire » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:43 pm

The 605 can play at full DVD resolution - the screen is higher res than regular TVs. The 605 has dedicated processing chips for decoding video, and all the software for those are closed source (meaning Archos has to pay them royalties on the codecs) and they just don't support some. And there is no "lugging" involved with the 605, it fits fine in 1 hand. And if you do play $30 for AAC, 99% of movies downloaded from torrents will work without conversion.
velatire

Postby zbeast » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:25 pm

16gig's is not near enough space for my music collection but I needed to replace my phone and my ipod over the weekend.
So Thought this was a good time to give the iphone a try. I was at a party and pulled my pod off to give a
friend some good ruff housing when I went to pick up my pod I tripped and knocked it off a
50th story window deck to the ground below. I seem to have a bad habit to smashing expensive stuff.
My friend felt sorry for my loss and give me a copy of very large music collection, 2tb.

I still hate I tunes but with the current generation of ipod devices its the only way you can load them.
The current version of itunes is better than previously version.
it was able to handle connection to my NAS and using a simple drag and drop I could load both tracks and full
cd's with easy mouse actions. There are still a few bugs in itunes.. when in full screen mode mouse actions
on one monitor some how cause cover flow to start scrolling tracks on the other screen.
A bug with apple has been filed.
Apples Iphone phone features I was able to pick up and use the phone features with zero manual reading.
My raser on the other hand took me about a week to learn.
The iphone display is bright and the call quality is good. I do like reading my email and websites on the device.
I have yet to get a change to test the battery life tho.. loading 14gig's of music takes a long time..
thats right 14gigs... When the device is brand new to total storage capacity available for music is 14.84 gig.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby multivariable » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:58 pm

my word you rule zbeast. what a woman!
multivariable

Postby mommyhatesu420 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:24 pm

i wouldnt exactly call 32gb "staggeringly unnecessary" ...... multiply that by 10 and it would hold most of my collection... ill be happy wen i see a >500gb model, and the ability to play flac would be a nice addition...
mommyhatesu420

Postby Fartingbob » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:37 am

It'll take a while for any mp3 player to hold 500GB. Maybe in a few years when laptop drives are that size someone will make one, although it'll be bulky and have to have some kick ass features to make it worth carrying around a brick.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Ratt » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:51 pm

Fartingbob wrote:I dont have to convert video files to play them on my PC. All it takes is the right codec and you can play anything. There is no excuse why they limit what you can play so much. Every manufacturer is guilty of it, Archos are the least guilty though.

True on a PC, but how can they fit that kind of processor and graphics card into something as small and thin as an iPhone? Codecs require a certain amount of processing power to avoid frame drops, and wide resolutions require a decent graphics card to display properly. Apple is better at miniaturization than just about anyone, but they're not magicians.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby velatire » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:58 pm

Fartingbob wrote:It'll take a while for any mp3 player to hold 500GB. Maybe in a few years when laptop drives are that size someone will make one, although it'll be bulky and have to have some kick ass features to make it worth carrying around a brick.

Already very possible. Just buy a small 500GB external drive, and hook it to the USB in port of the 605, and tape it to the back :D

Like I said, the 605 has a very advanced dual processor (Basically) it clocks up to 500+ mhz for dedicated decoding via specially designed codecs, and down to 200+mhz for music/OS operation.
velatire

Return to Slyck News