Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

WIPO Coming to Canada

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

WIPO Coming to Canada

Postby IceCube » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:17 pm

Speculation that Canada was going to institute some form of the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) has been a topic of frequent forum discussion. While the details are sketchy on whether or not the DMCA would be imported into Canadian law, a letter has surfaced which indicates that Canadian copyright reform would bring Canada closer to "conformity with the World Intellectual Property Organization". The news comes just shortly after reports of the Copyright Reform bill coming within the coming "weeks".

Russell McOrmond, a FLOSS consultant and blogger wrote a letter to the new Minister of Canadian Heritage back in August 21st. On November 19th, the response to his letter was posted online.

"The Government of Canada, led by the Minister of Industry and the Minister of Canadian Heritage, Status of Women and Official Languages," wrote Craig Carson, the Senior Policy Advisor for the Minister of Canadian Heritage, "is working toward bringing Canadian copyright policy into conformity with the World Intellectual Property Organization Internet Treaties."

Reports on such a move were alluded to recently, but the letter offers a very clear indication on where the copyright reform process is headed. Before now, the most direct evidence on where the reform process was headed was the speech from the throne which said, "our Government will support Canadian researchers and innovators in developing new ideas and bringing them to the marketplace through Canada's Science and Technology Strategy. Our Government will improve the protection of cultural and intellectual property rights in Canada, including copyright reform."

While there are many indications that this push towards US style copyright law was originating from outside interests, another source of this pressure very likely came from the controversial Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America.

Shortly after the previous copyright reform bill, many Canadian artists and major Canadian record labels left the CRIA (Canadian Recording Industry Association). These artists then formed the Canadian Music Creators Coalition to oppose views held by organizations such as the CRIA on the future of copyright law. Other organizations such as CIPPIC (Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic) and ORC (Online Rights Canada) also oppose DMCA-like laws from being imported into Canada.

While copyright legislation has yet to be tabled (and there have been many promises without delivery in the past), it seems as though the legislation will more likely favor the mainly foreign interests.
IceCube

Re: WIPO Coming to Canada

Postby Freebird Mike » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:53 pm

I've been sending a short email a night to my MP (in order to not to overload his short attention span) for the last week and I just finished tonight's, which specifically deals with "national treatment" under WIPO's Performances and Phonograms Treaty (WPPT). Currently, Canada's private copying levy is a reciprocally based regime, which has collected over $120 million to remunerate songwriters and publishers, recording artists, and record companies for private copying. While songwriters and music publishers are eligible regardless of nationality, only Canadian recording artists and record companies may receive payments under current law.

I asked him that if we ratified the WIPO treaties whether he would prefer explaining to the all the Canadian artists and songwriters that we are dumping the levy or explaining to the Canadian people why the levy is doubling or tripling and less money is going to Canadian artists because we now had to compensate foreign artists and labels with a Canadian tax under the national treatment regulations.
Songlifter since 1999
Freebird Mike

Postby russellmcormond » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:13 am

You may also want to know that the same day I received that letter I met with the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Industry. I strongly believe that nothing is inevitable, and that if Canadians get engaged in this area of policy that we can steer parliament in a different direction.

I hope that "Freebird Mike" will consider blogging about the letters he has been sending, and report if he manages to get replies or a meeting. I hope he'll let me know so that I can link to what gets written on the Digital-copyright.ca website attached to his riding.

We have had the bill stalled many times, and we have Bill C-60 which was tabled and never made it to 2'nd reading or committee. The same thing may happen here if an election is forced before the bill passes, and we will have learned what the Conservative party view is on this critical policy question.
russellmcormond

Postby IceCube » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:53 pm

While I agree that nothing is 100% certain on the future legislation, I have to say that when both the Throne Speech and the letter to you suggest that we are headed in to US-style legislation, it's now hard to picture the government tabling balanced copyright reform. This uncertainty is why I said WIPO instead of 'DMCA', but the indication is still strong from my point of view at this time.
IceCube

Postby Skippy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:51 pm

I don't understand why Canadians always want to be wannabe americans? Can't they for once look over to Europe or something?
Skippy

Postby marek02 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:11 am

don't understand why Canadians always want to be wannabe americans? Can't they for once look over to Europe or something?

FYI: Canadians NEVER EVER WANTED TO BE WANNABE americans, if you got the impression that we do then YOU'VE BEEN BRAINWASHED and read the wrong news-papers.

We've been always Canadians and we will stay that way, that's something americans will NEVER understand!!
marek02

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:26 am

relax, marek. just because you think skippy is making generalizations about canadians is no justification for you doing the same with americans - which he isn't, btw.
MrFredPFL

Postby blackdallion » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:53 am

Don't forget guys that an election is coming so this law could not have time to pass. Secondly Ottawa is more concern with the Mulroney-Schreiber circus than governing. So we'll see about this law.
Once a wise blind man told me - Go to bed with itchy butt and wake up with stinky fingers.
blackdallion

Postby IceCube » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:18 am

I'd like to know what are the indications that an election is coming. The one thing that was most likely to force an election was the throne speech vote - and the one party that could have brought the whole government down abstained, causing the throne speech to pass and keep an election from happening. Was there something I missed? Was there a confidence motion put forth?
IceCube

Postby blackdallion » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:51 am

Icecube the Liberals are mentioning that they'll vote against the budget in Febuary 2008 therefore provoking an election. The Liberals knows that if the budget pass it will give Harper a majority government at next election.
Once a wise blind man told me - Go to bed with itchy butt and wake up with stinky fingers.
blackdallion

Postby IceCube » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:18 am

Interesting. I can definitely confirm this. Though, this is politics, there is always the possibility that something may happen between then and now, but that is definitely a destinct possibility. Thanks for pointing that new development to me. :)
IceCube

Postby 1Bullet » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:20 pm

Skippy wrote:I don't understand why Canadians always want to be wannabe americans? Can't they for once look over to Europe or something?

ditto with marek02
marek02 wrote:
don't understand why Canadians always want to be wannabe americans? Can't they for once look over to Europe or something?

FYI: Canadians NEVER EVER WANTED TO BE WANNABE americans, if you got the impression that we do then YOU'VE BEEN BRAINWASHED and read the wrong news-papers.

We've been always Canadians and we will stay that way, that's something americans will NEVER understand!!

IceCube wrote:While copyright legislation has yet to be tabled (and there have been many promises without delivery in the past), it seems as though the legislation will more likely favor the mainly foreign interests.

our Canadain government sold us out before, they will do it again. There is alot money at stake, and alot of lobbying is being done(money being paid out). I would like to see how much campain moneies were paid out to the politicians that are spear-heading the changes.

Since the biggest benefishery of blank media tax is Sony I say no more.
1Bullet

Postby RealG187 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:10 pm

Canda is the movie piracy capital of the world and the only reason to live there is the more realisitic Copyright laws (and free healthcare).
RealG187

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:23 pm

RealG187 wrote:Canda is the movie piracy capital of the world

:roll:
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby FireBox » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:41 pm

RealG187 wrote:Canda is the movie piracy capital of the world and the only reason to live there is the more realisitic Copyright laws (and free healthcare).

Um, what? :? Go do a little research; the general consensus is that China is the piracy capital of the world.
--
FireBox
FireBox

Postby IceCube » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:36 pm

For those that want a nice ava to protest the Canadian DMCA, I cropped an image from the Facebook group to comply with avatar rules:

IceCube

Postby blackdallion » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:02 pm

Here's a link to your story. It now seems that ACTRA is upset and acknowledging that no bill will be introduced before the parliamentary break.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007 ... right.html
blackdallion

Postby IceCube » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:16 pm

Thanks for the link. ACTRA calling the opposition a small vocal minority and that policy should trump them (I know,they said trump politics, but who are they kidding?) is laughable - especially considering who the 'vocal minority' really are!
IceCube

Postby blackdallion » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:19 pm

I'm sure that CRIA and ACTRA had their victory speech ready once the bill was introduced. Now it's No speech for you.
blackdallion

Postby blackdallion » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:25 pm

Seems that the bill won't be introduced this year.

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2476/125/
blackdallion

Postby IceCube » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:18 pm

Yeah, looks like it. :)

I had serious doubts that it would be delayed only for a day given what has happened in the past with the reform bill. Having said that, there shouldn't be a let-up on pressure or else the government will just introduce it later when the dust settles and hope no one notices (lol!) Obviously, there was some definite changing of minds thanks to the rallies. I remain optimistic that alternative voices will be heard on the issues. Whether they'll be heeded upon is another matter entirely, but it got the government thinking twice at least! :)

Edit: Looks like the debate hit the Senate

Industry

Copyright Legislation

Hon. Claudette Tardif (Deputy Leader of the Opposition): Honourable senators, Canada recently submitted documents to the Ministers of Industry and Canadian Heritage concerning the government's impending copyright legislation. The concern is that the legislation will not address the needs, requirements and realities facing post-secondary institutions when it comes to copyright.

As honourable senators know, post-secondary institutions are both creators and users of copyright material. What measures will the government take to ensure, as it noted in its 2005 policy declaration, that the rights of creators are balanced with the opportunity for the public to use copyrighted works for teaching, researching and lifelong learning?

Hon. Marjory LeBreton (Leader of the Government and Secretary of State (Seniors)): I thank the Honourable Senator Tardif for that question. As she knows, the Minister of Industry, Minister Prentice, is seized with this issue at the moment. I will take the question as notice.

[Translation]

Senator Tardif: Honourable senators, it appears that the Minister of Industry decided not to introduce the copyright legislation yesterday, Tuesday, December 11, 2007, although a notice had been filed.

Could the Leader of the Government in the Senate explain why the legislation was withdrawn, and could she tell the Senate whether the Minister of Industry will allow hearings to be held and conduct public consultations to ask Canadians what they think?

[English]

Senator LeBreton: Honourable senators, the minister is very thoughtful and thorough. He will obviously table his legislation when he feels it is in good form. I simply need to refer the question to him. Knowing Minister Prentice, the thoroughness of his work and the way he conducts himself as a cabinet minister, I am sure that there are good and valid reasons why he did not proceed. I am quite sure that when he does, the honourable senator will be well pleased with the product.
IceCube

Return to Slyck News