Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Wi-fi security system is 'broken'

What's happening in the world of technology related to hardware. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Wi-fi security system is 'broken'

Postby Nutty-Slack » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:51 am

Story : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7052223.stm

More holes have been picked in the security measure designed to protect the privacy and data of wi-fi users.

The latest attack lets criminals defeat firewalls and spy on where someone goes and what they do online.

It comes after a series of other attacks that, experts say, have left the basic protection in wi-fi comprehensively "broken".

Quibus Societas Nobis Intemporaliter
Nutty-Slack

Re: Wi-fi security system is 'broken'

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:04 pm

The headline is a bit dramatic and misleading, since all they're really referring to is yet more exploits found in WEP, which was cracked years ago anyway.

It amazes me that BT send out their 'Home Hubs' with WEP enabled as the default encryption method. I usually see at least one WEP 'protected' BT Home Hub SSID wherever I'm out configuring/installing customer's wireless networks. Backward compatibility is really no excuse to supply them that way. The majority of these people would have no problem using WPA encryption, but they're using WEP because that's how their router was supplied. They should be supplied pre-configured as WPA by default with a simple switch (labelled with a warning) to revert to WEP for the few who really have no other option.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Return to Tech/Hardware News