Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

P2P Takes Two SourceForge Awards

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

P2P Takes Two SourceForge Awards

Postby SlyckTom » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:20 pm

As it currently stands, P2P related applications are among the most popular projects on SourceForge. SourceForge as many already know is the leading developer/community forum dedicated to the furtherance of open source projects. The top three SourceForge projects are Azureus, eMule, and Ares Galaxy.

It’s not surprising therefore, that P2P technology made an impressive impact on the annual SourceForge Community Choice Awards. Last year, the popular BitTorrent client Azureus won best overall project, with no other P2P projects making the cut (unless you consider Filezilla).

This year, two file-sharing projects made top honors at SourceForge’s annual <a href=http://sourceforge.net/community/index.php/landing-pages/cca07/ target=_blank>Community Choice</a> Awards. Awards are categorized into various categories such as, Best Tool or Utility for Developers, Best Project for Gamers, Best Project for Multimedia, Best Project for Communications, Best New Project, Most Collaborative Project, and the coveted, Best Project.

Interestingly, eMule took the “Best New Project” award. This award is given to a project that shows “the newly created project with the most potential for greatness.” This is a bit peculiar as eMule has been part of the P2P community for the better part of 4 years, and many consider to have already achieved greatness. To compensate for this oddity, an honorable mention was given to the project “<a href=http://sourceforge.net/projects/launchy target=_blank>Launchy</a>”.

Azurues took top honors for “Most Collaborative Project”, which is awarded to a project “most likely to accept your patches and value your input.” Although not quite as glamorous as the “Best Project” award, it’s still a significant recognition of value.

The “Best Project” award this year went to the popular file archiver 7-Zip. Azureus took this top honor in 2006, however was not nominated in 2007. Probably a good thing, as SourceForge would like to see all programs have a chance...
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby IceCube » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:06 pm

Two excellent programs win at SourceForge awards. Awsome. :)
IceCube

Postby LANjackal » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:25 pm

IceCube wrote:Two excellent programs win at SourceForge awards. Awsome. :)

Indeed, but calling eMule "new" is a huge stretch. IMO though, eMule deserves the award anyway as being one of the best coded programs out there, period, regardless of license.

And while 7-zip is great, it chokes on some formats and split archives that WinRAR handles without complaint. Since I got my new PC, I've been using WinRAR exclusively with no issues.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Andu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:43 pm

Emule has recently celebrated it's 5th birthday so in terms of p2p development it's almost a dinosaur. I agree tho that both Azureus and eMule are great projects and both deserve to be honoured for their achievements.

I agree that 7z is great but still needs some work. I mean it doesn't even recognize ace archives which have been around for AGES. Ok they aren't used much these days but for mere backwards compatibility it would be nice to have.
Andu

Postby Your_Mentor » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:20 pm

If you look at the nominees and then look at what your likely to use.. The winners are a lot clearer. I wouldnt use 7-zip but neither anything in that same category that was nominated either. I remember a awesome compression method long ago for games. uHarc i belive it was called. That could compress a 700mb game in half of it, or even less.. It would extract audio, video, and data and you have a 1.4 gig game out of a 300 mb file. I love winrar and rar is used by everyone these days, I dont see 7zip coming even a fraction of greatness over it.
Your_Mentor

Postby sonnentier » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:01 pm

yeah 7-zip is not that great imo..
sonnentier

Return to Slyck News