Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

WinMX Group Goes Offline

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

WinMX Group Goes Offline

Postby SlyckTom » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:01 pm

Just because FrontCode disabled its cache servers in September of 2005, thereby technically killing the WinMX network, didn't mean the community died with it. It's reasoned that FrontCode nuked WinMX because of the RIAA's September 2005 cease and desist campaign, where about a half dozen P2P companies were issued letters inviting them to disable copyright infringement or face litigation.

Some companies like WinMX capitulated, some went open source, others like LimeWire decided to stay and fight the good fight. In the wake of WinMX's demise the remaining WinMX communities established their own host caching servers to replace FrontCode’s. A host caching server contains a list of active IPs on the WinMX network, and communicates this information to the WinMX client. Once a list of network connected IPs are provided to the WinMX client, the end user could then connect.

One of the more prominent post-FrontCode caching solutions was provided by WinMXGroup.com. The driving force behind that site, an individual by the name of "King Marco" or KM, who developed an efficient caching server that helped countless individuals reconnect to the WinMX network. Today, WinMXGroup is no more. KM has pulled the DNS (Domain Name System) on WinMXGroup.com, leaving many to wonder the fate of remaining assets of the WinMX network. The DNS is the service that converts a domain name (Slyck.com) to an IP address (12.345.678.90). KM talked to Slyck.com, and offered some insight on his decision

"It takes a lot of time and effort to keep things running smoothly, and it's all basically down to me do everything, and when something needs doing it's always everyone looking to me for it all," KM told Slyck.com. "People basically just expect me to do everything and it is a lot of pressure that gets put on me, just for the fact that I decided to take up the challenge to resurrect WinMX when FrontCode decided to stop running things. But at the end of the day I decided it was all worth it because of the community...however lately I've decided it is no longer worth it."

The immediate repercussion of taking WinMXGroup.com off line was connection ability of thousands of WinMX users. WinMXGroup's sister site, WinMXWorld.com, has several <a href=http://www.winmxworld.com/forum2/index.php/topic,4981.0.html target=_blank>active threads</a> of users unable to connect to the WinMX network. KM points out the cache servers are still online and operational, however with the DNS disabled, there’s little advantage left to these servers other than gathering statistical information.

The fate of WinMXGroup.com is unknown. KM appears to be through with the project, however he is no opposed to the idea of another entity taking over the venture. KM has also released an <a href=http://winmxgroup.com/ target=_blank>official statement</a> on his position.

“If [someone] did have some plan and did want the use of the domain name I would be open to it - however [no one has] even suggested such a thing. I think they are more rushing around with hosts files and the "we need lots of caches" panic at the moment rather than concerning themselves with anything more long term.”

In the mean time, WinMXWorld has posted an <a href= http://www.winmxworld.com/forum2/index.php/topic,4984 target=blank>emergency thread</a> with several host files of active IP address. KM also points out another publically available <a href=http://orion.untracedserver.com/check4.php target=_blank>cache server</a> that should help stranded users back online.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby altpdend » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:52 pm

are the wmpie cache server still up
altpdend

Postby Gemini777 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:13 pm

The MXPie servers are online. You can get reconnected by visiting MXPie dot info
Gemini777

Postby Dazzle » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:58 pm

The posted fix in the WinMx thread works adequately thank you Gem :lol:

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35503

It is of course our intention to carry on the effort to ensure solid connections with some decent protection, and I hope users are happy to wait a little while until a decent patch can be released instead of this 4 minute fix.
Dazzle

Postby Smokerillo » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:01 am

don't forget the forefathering networks of winmx are still online , too.. Log onto OpenNap :-) get a up to date WSX file from gotnap dot com under the client formats tab. and to apply it and logon, (if you haven't done it before) see the tutorials at winmxworld dot com, or drag and drop the file to your winmx icon and go check the OpenNap networks tab and log on some networks.
OpenNap networks remained online unaffected and uninterrupted when frontcode's cache went down, and along with this one as well. still much to get and friends to make on them :-)
Smokerillo

Postby ..Ñøßߥ.. » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:47 am

The Pie Auto updater is ofc still available for connection, in fact its probably currently offering the most blocking protection as it comes with pglyte and the Winmx specific blocklist supplied by Dazzle (thanks!). Its available HERE

It was no surprise to me KM upped and left, i had predicted he would do, the only surprise was with the speed in which he shut down. It was always a bad plan to allow so many eggs to dwell in one basket, perhaps this time around that lesson will be learned

Hopefully the community now has the kick it required to bring in some more options and ensure "power" is spread widely so these sorts of problems to no re-occur.
..Ñøßߥ..

Postby HalOfBorg » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:52 am

It's just SO rare for me to report news. Just lucky enough to click on the winmx icon first. 8)
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer: http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

We are The Borg.
Lower your weapons. Disarm your explosives.
Your spawn will adapt to service Us.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

WinMX

Postby craftycorner » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:02 pm

I think WinMX will survive, although I moved on to Emule before it started it's first run of trouble in 2005. I got a lot of poisonous and false files from that program. Emule gave me many fewer funky files, viruses, and just plain spam.

I've sense moved to Linux and Amule.
My God, its full of files!

Crafty
craftycorner

Postby bincoder » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:47 pm

WinMX is in a coffin yet again?
Funny, I didn't notice, guess it's because I been running around with my hosts file that connects to all caches since km decided to 'filter' the searches too.
Is browsing and searches going faster now? or is it just me? I think my light goes green a little sooner too.
bincoder

Postby Dazzle » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:07 pm

After some slight of hand with dns and with the aid of some hi-tech 1337 hacker tools ( ok, the trusty hex editor), things are now back to normal, by the time you read this a new patch will be being deployed that once again filters the fake listings out of the network, whilst some are already complaining that this should have taken half the time I,m sure many of those who enjoy MX as their main social oulet will be thankful normal operation has been restored so soon.

http://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/connection.html

Cheers to all those patient folks out there :)
Dazzle

Postby HEAT84 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:55 pm

If I hadn't read this, I'd a never known anything happened. I've had no problems connecting. :? Although right now I have no uploads which is unusual.

EDITED

I hope the mods don't mis construe this as breaking the no political discussion rule since I was just making a comparison.

Sorry Heat, but it is both political and irrelevant. HC
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby Grizz » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:41 am

EDITED

I'm not sure about mods removing that statement (I personally don't care), but it certainly caught me off guard. I was reading your response, and this is one of the stranger tangents I've seen in a P2P forum post.

At no point, did it make any sense to me at all. Were you simply preoccupied with this topic, and it found its way into an unrelated post regarding a P2P application? Crazy mushrooms maybe? Brain damage?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Now, as for the network/client in discussion, I haven't used it since pre-2005, so my perspective may be skewed. When I did use it, all of the "queues" made it unusable to me. I also ended up sending a lot of data without really getting any in return. I don't mind twice as much give as take, or even more (I'm an ED2K user actually), but WinMX got me nothing.

What is the user experience like now? Can someone who's been using it recently, give me their synopsis? What's it good for? Is it more group or trade oriented? That's kind of the impression I get.
Grizz

Postby HEAT84 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:13 pm

Well ok whatever. :?

I just found out Vladd44 quit WinMX in November. Why wasn't there an article about that here (Unless I missed it)? :?
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby ..Ñøßߥ.. » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:50 am

Vladd gave up devoting large amounts of his time to Winmx mostly due to a barrage of DDOS attacks aimed at his two Winmx sites (no comment as to where these originated, there are various theories). The sites are however up and running, minus the forum (which was at least partically damaged during the attacks).

The auto updating Pie Patch he operates is up to date and a number of updates to both sites infomation is currently underway. So yes, Vladd does not devote the same kind of time as he used to, and he no longer frequents the chat channel, but hes not totally gone and has on occasion stopped by the channel. He still keeps in regular contact with a number of his friends from Winmx, and remains up to date with the current situation, as well as doing a little work in the back ground to make sure the huge amount of visitors that arrived on his sites with Winmx group going down get reconnected to Winmx.

I opened a forum (link in sig) for users from the old vladd44 forums to use, Vladd has also registered there recently, he may even post there if he is baited enough, lol.
..Ñøßߥ..

Postby Dazzle » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:47 am

Whilst I have confirmed with Nobby that there is a blocking solution on offer at Vladds site its been noticed that the other pie site in operation offers no such protection and is actually helping cause problems for many users still by allowing massive fake file flooding by the media cartels.

The symptoms of this will be large traffic spikes in the SPM, visible at the top of the box and for the unprotected up to 15 secondary connections in the space of a minute or two, one rather virilent attacker is 38.99.253.XX who will attempt to attack you for many minutes even after closing winmx.

Of course this is designed to disrupt the network as well as block all the secondary slots for those on slower conections, this you will note then is nothing to do with copyright infringing activity, just a criminal effort to destroy the metwork, I hope winmx users reading this take the time to protect themselves and the network by blocking these DDOS criminals.
Dazzle

Postby ..Ñøßߥ.. » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:16 am

The "other" Pie operation relys on advising users to install Peer Guardian 2, whilst im sure PG2 offers a resonable level of protection, i would point out that its only of use IF users actually install it, i have already come across serveral Primary users of this patch, who are NOT using PG2 and as such are flooding the network. These users were horrified to hear such news and have now chosen to switch to the Pie auto updater.

Lets hope the "other" Pie operation take steps to ensure the users of their patch are suitably protected, simply hoping users use PG2 is clearly not working and its the wpn that will suffer. Companies like Media Sentry and the like need to be shown a closed door.

Hopefully the new patch promised by Dazzle and his team will provide full blocking and fake filtering, but remain fully OS, this would be a signifcant step forward, and ensure previous trust concerns are no longer an issue.
..Ñøßߥ..

Postby IceCube » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:38 pm

..Ñøßߥ.. wrote:simply hoping users use PG2 is clearly not working and its the wpn that will suffer. Companies like Media Sentry and the like need to be shown a closed door.

You know, people have been caught even with Peer Guardian installed and running. It's not like installing and running Peer Guardian will suddenly make you invisible to anti-P2P.
IceCube

Return to Slyck News