Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

MPAA Sues Two Movie Streaming Sites

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

MPAA Sues Two Movie Streaming Sites

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:43 pm

The MPAA announced today it has <a href=http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=417475#417475 target=_blank>filed lawsuits</a> against two web based movie streaming sites, YouTVpc.com and Peekvid.com, in Federal Court. Most of the MPAA's legal enforcement has taken place against P2P and BitTorrent related communities, which are notoriously more difficult to knock off line. LokiTorrent, EliteTorrents and The Pirate Bay's destinies have all been influenced by the movie industry in one form or another, with varying levels of success.

Web based indexing or hosting has long been considered a highly dangerous venture, with costly litigation a near guarantee. Just ask AllofMP3.com, who has been battling for survival against the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) for over a year. With the MPAA's relatively successful track record in copyright enforcement, surely no one readily streams Hollywood or theatrical run movies for the entire world to see, right?

Welcome <a href=http://www.youtvpc.com/ target=_blank>YouTVpc.com</a> and <a href=http://www.peekvid.com/ target=_blank>Peekvid.com</a>. YouTVpc.com and Peekvid.com stream various amounts of media; however videos appear to be their main focus. YouTVpc.com is the more daring of the two, as it readily streams theatrical titles such as "Pirates of the Caribbean 3" and "Shrek the Third." YouTVpc's videos are streamed from servers located throughout the world, as it does not host any files.

Peekvid.com's collection is mostly of older movies, and indexes no theatrical run films. Apparently the legal impact against sites like LokiTorrent and EliteTorrents, who indexed movie torrents on the BitTorrent network, had no influence on the decision making process of the site's owners. This made for easy prey for the MPAA.

“The sole purpose of these sites is to disseminate content that has been illegally reproduced and distributed. They are a one-stop shop for copyright infringement. These lawsuits should serve as a warning to other aspiring movie theft ‘entrepreneurs’ that they are not above the law and will face serious consequences for their activities. Profiting from the theft of other people’s creative works is illegal and must be stopped,” said John Malcolm, Executive Vice President and Director of Worldwide Anti-Piracy Operations for the MPAA.

The fragility of web based distribution is so apparent that hardly anyone considers this a viable enterprise - especially in the United States. The MPAA took note that both sites are quite popular as Peekvid "averages over 53,000 unique users per day who view over 184,000 pages of content. YouTVpc – whose servers are located in Scottsdale, Arizona - averages more than 6,000 unique daily visitors who view over 21,000 pages of content per day." Additionally, the MPAA noticed the abundance of advertising. To the movie industry, this means YouTVpc.com and Peekvid.com are profiting at their expense.

Neither site responded to Slyck's request for comment, and the legal justification for operating such a site is currently unknown. LokiTorrent or EliteTorrents could argue they only indexed torrent files of material existing on the BitTorrent network. With these two sites, although movies stream from other locations, the film is watchable via a flash player directly on either site. If LokiTorrent's and ElieteTorrent's impressive threshold for legal justification was dismissed, YouTVpc.com and Peekvid.com might find their business model in trouble.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby anonymity22 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:23 pm

Elitetorrents didn't have any business model or advertising. The site operator lived in the US and accepted donations for credit, but was never investigated (mysteriously). No one charged made any money for the site overall. I don't know about Lokitorrents but I think it survived off of donations toward the end, but advertising prior to that.

Elitetorrents didn't index torrent files, it was a tracker. Lokitorrent was a tracker also, not an indexing site (as far as I knew).

If these are streaming sites, chances are their servers hold not just hashes of copyrighted data, but the copyrighted data itself. If there was enough advertising collected, it wouldn't be hard to knock these two sites permanently offline, and heavily fined I'm sure.

Unlike ET and Loki, these streaming sites most likely are actually hosting the files in question. ET's complete fate is yet to be determined btw.
anonymity22

Postby matttv » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:29 pm

i used to be involed with a site like this and i would like to say that all the on demand tv episodes and movies are not hosted on there servers, they are hosted on popular video sharing sites similar to youtube like veoh, dailymotion, guba and many other sites.

So this hole lawsuit seems stupid to me seeing as they are just showing stuff that are hosted on other sites.
matttv

Postby DepecheNode » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:47 pm

Youtvpc needs you to identify yourself (using email) to use the service.

Peekvid's links are mostly dead anyway... what're they getting sued for? Slow-ass site, dead links to to shitty rips of movies you can find yourself on youtube. Come to think of it, I think they actually HELP the mp@@ by showing how NOT to use video over the Internets.
DepecheNode

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:49 pm

ah yes, the google defense. we're not hosting it, we just run an automated indexing system, so it's not our fault what the indexer turns up.

but that argument is baseless here. looking at youtvpc, i see advertising, "unlimited downloads", and what is obviously an human-made menu listing many copyrighted works, itemized by season and episode. i see every encouragement to download whatever you like, and not even a cover-our-asses copyright disclaimer.

it's one thing when an automated process lists copyrighted content. this is not the case here.
MrFredPFL

Postby thejynxed » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:31 pm

As of right now, the YouTVPC.com domain seems to be parked and for sale.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

YouTVpc.com -

Postby mediaSKATEBOARD » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:09 pm

hey guys youtvpc can still be accessed at youtvpc.webenlet.hu it looks like they're doing some kind of updates.

all they do is link to video sites, the mpaa should be going after the video hosts. more so they should embrace a changing market and find a mutually beneficial solution.

many don't know YouTVpc started as a class project for a computer programming class.

c'mon big guys get the facts straight, analyze a changing market, appeal to people don't alienate them.
mediaSKATEBOARD

Re: MPAA Sues Two Movie Streaming Sites

Postby GrymRpr » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:03 pm

@jonas:
Reported as site spammer.
SlyckNick: wrote:
I abhor what slonceck and suprnova have now become.

The Worst thing to happen to any O.S.?
The GUI!
GrymRpr

Re: MPAA Sues Two Movie Streaming Sites

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:14 pm

thanks, grym. terminated with extreme prejudice.
MrFredPFL

Return to Slyck News