Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Standalone DVD player with .mkv support?

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Standalone DVD player with .mkv support?

Postby templeofboom » Sat May 19, 2007 2:30 pm

Anyone know of a standalone player than can handle .mkv files? Yes, I know I can repack them as xvid/divx, but that's not what I'm looking for.

I've seen a lot with increasing support for various formats, but not yet .mkv.

If there aren't standalones, then what's the preferred route? HTPC or a tweaked xbox?

I'm currently using the PC with cable connection to the tv, which is a solution for me, but not everyone has that luxury.
templeofboom

Postby jokster » Sun May 20, 2007 6:46 am

I dont think there are any stand alones that support mkv not even with hacked firmware. Any that i have had i just used vdubmod (http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/) and save the avi with my prefered audio and then the subs as a seperate file, it wasnt difficult and only took a couple of minutes.
Capitalism Is Cannibalism
Resistance is fertile
jokster

Postby TorrentMama » Sun May 20, 2007 10:36 am

I loathe matroska! But it wouldn't be so bad if there was standalone player support. But there are no dvd players that support it and I can't see it happening anytime soon.
TorrentMama

Postby aiwazz » Sun May 20, 2007 12:16 pm

For media streamers the folks at dvico are working to see if they can get the current sigma tel HD chip they're using in the new Tvix 4100/5100 SH to decode mkv. Other than that it looks like it won't happen (at the sigma tel end anyway) until first quarter 2008. mkv requires more chip horsepower that these current units don't have.
aiwazz

Re: Standalone DVD player with .mkv support?

Postby glummy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:14 am

Dvico tvix..> http://www.tvix.co.kr/eng/ now has beta firmware for mkv files..> http://forum.tvixbox.com/viewtopic.php?p=1090
It doesn't appear to be able to handle subtitles as yet, but the simplest way to recode to avi is with virtualdubmod, (freeware)...remember to click "direct stream copy" in "video" and full compression in "audio"..choosing whichever compression, ie mp3 before clicking file..save avi.
You will lose a lot of quality, so is pointless dldn these "large" home movies :wink: unless you want to watch on u'r monitor, or you can connect to your HDTV from ur pc..(HDMI to DVI) or you just want to save to disc for future development. ..(nero..make a udf dvd)
glummy

Postby beachboy » Thu May 22, 2008 1:20 am

Yeah it's a real bitch that people are uploading more and more mkvs than avis.
beachboy

Postby Inksaver » Thu May 22, 2008 2:22 am

I own a Tvix 5100 SH and can confirm it plays .mkv files, but it struggles trying to play over gigabit ethernet. It is better to store them on its internal HDD for this purpose. I feel that MKV is in it's early days and as hardware support grows it will become more popular. I already use AutoMKV to convert SD MPEG2 files from Freeview transport streams which gives perfect quality at very small file sizes for archive/multimedia server purposes.

With the low cost of high capacity HDD, and the ease of connection (USB/Firewire/eSata) the need for storage on optical discs is reducing. I now use a dedicated HTPC with HDMI output to play back all media formats, including .MKV and the increasing number of downloadable AVCHD files, which are basically ripped blu-ray to fit on a dvdr double layer. The HTPC does of course have a DVD drive so can also play optical discs such as DVD if required. I have not used a DVD player for some time.
Inksaver

Postby Fartingbob » Thu May 22, 2008 8:11 am

I prefer x264's in mkv files, much higher quality than same sized xvid's, and since my PC is my TV it doesnt matter what file container is used, as long as the quality is top banana.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby lordfoul » Fri May 30, 2008 2:20 am

The MKV container has been much maligned. I've heard many public pc "experts" trash it, but I expect it's because they had a bad experience with it back in the days when the Real codecs where the commonly used ones. MKV is a superb format and often is used with the H.264/AVC format combination from converted Blu Ray/ HD DVD formats as well as over the air HD captures in file sharing releases. This results in real HD content in a nice little package with all of the menu and subtitling bells and whistles that MKV brings. Open source and under continuous development I see a future for the container.

As far as hardware manufacturer support, think OGG and Theora, there won't be any love soon, I'd go for the streaming devices available or a home pc center to do the job. If you have to convert an MKV and don't want to lose any quality check out Avidemux to do the job and stick to the copy selections.
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby Ratt » Sat May 16, 2009 6:50 am

lordfoul wrote:If you have to convert an MKV and don't want to lose any quality check out Avidemux to do the job and stick to the copy selections.

Granted, but if you're also trying to hardsub a subtitle track that was extracted from the same .mkv file in there, it can be a bit of a pain in the ass. It doesn't always work, and Avidemuxer crashes on me frequently.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sat May 16, 2009 7:46 am

This is not the answer you seek but I really have to recommend the Western Digital HD Media player. You can get one for around $99 and its plays almost anything. The technical support is great, they have a forum and really listen to the recommendations people make there. There are regular firmware updates too. I LOVE mine and talk about WAY too much. lol

The HD playback is incredible for this little box and I even read an artical where a guy got it to play real Blu Ray files with no problems. You can hook up to two external drives to it and over all its a great product. Look at the BestBuy website for reviews. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8008588808

I think its one of the best products a PC movie fan can buy for their collection! :pirate:

You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby Xsoldier2000 » Sat May 16, 2009 1:53 pm

+1 for the WD TV player.

I took a chance on this mostly because of the price....well, I couldn't be happier. It plays everything I throw at it flawlessly. Check out the Specifications here: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572

In fact, once I got it a few (7) of my friends went out and got one. Be advised tho, you need to buy the HDMI and Optical cable.

It doesn't have a ethernet connection, but I read where someone hacked a firmware upgrade and was able to use a USB wifi key in one of the USB ports to get wifi access. (Transfer said downloaded movie to the already plugged in hard drive.)
http://www.raoulpop.com/2009/can-the-wd-tv-be-networkable-with-firmware-upgrade/

I haven't tried it, and won't bother with it as I can use the exercise of walking the 11 ft from my computer to the player. :wink:
,.|.. ò_ó ..|.,
Xsoldier2000

Postby multivariable » Sat May 16, 2009 2:18 pm

+2 for the WD TV player.

One of the best things I ever bought.
multivariable

Postby Maestro120 » Sat May 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Jeez... I need one of those.

Like many others I have my PC hooked up via HDMI to my High Def TV buts its not particularly convenient at the moment.
Maestro120

Postby konkat » Sat May 16, 2009 4:02 pm

You may want to start by searching on the players listed in the MKV hardware list on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska#Hardware_support

Apparently it is the "Sigma based" hardware which includes the already mentioned TVIX and WD TV Player that seems to have MKV support.

The list is likely incomplete but should be a good start.

I haven't come across too many MKVs; I usually watch my content from start to finish without any extras so XVID encoded AVIs suit me just fine. Like others I am using a HTPC to watch my video files. Personally, I find an HTPC to be almost as convenient as a stand-alone player. Only issues with an HTPC is that it is slow to cold boot, which you can get around by using stand-by or scheduled boots and you have to be careful about the loudness of fans/components if you're building it yourself.
konkat

Postby Andu » Sat May 16, 2009 4:32 pm

I think that any player that supports DivX 7 should support mkv files. I think there are a few BD players that do that. I think the PS3 should be able to handle them as well.
Andu

Postby TorrentMama » Sat May 16, 2009 9:15 pm

this is the first time I've appreciated a bump from 2007. thanks for pointing out the WD player. that shit is awesome. I checked out the specs and laughed my ass off when i saw the unsupported files.

File Formats Not Supported
Does not support protected premium content such as movies or music from the iTunes® Store, Cinema Now, Movielink®, Amazon Unbox™, and Vongo®

:lol: all the legal shit isn't supported. how funny is that? thanks WD.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby Ratt » Sun May 17, 2009 2:38 am

TorrentMama wrote: :lol: all the legal shit isn't supported. how funny is that? thanks WD.

I noticed that too. The sentiment communicated appears to be "did you think we were gonna waste our time and resources trying to make this shite run smoothly on our hardware?" :D
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby soft25 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Aimersoft MKV to DVD Converter is a wonderful software which can help you convert MKV files to DVD and burn movies to DVD disc in a easy and fluent way. Besides, this MKV to DVD allows users convert videos to DVD folder and ISO files for playing on portable or home DVD players.

What's more, this MKV to DVD Converter can support lots of burners brands and differernt Disc types..
soft25

Postby Fartingbob » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:00 am

soft25 wrote:Aimersoft MKV to DVD Converter is a wonderful software which can help you convert MKV files to DVD and burn movies to DVD disc in a easy and fluent way. Besides, this MKV to DVD allows users convert videos to DVD folder and ISO files for playing on portable or home DVD players.

What's more, this MKV to DVD Converter can support lots of burners brands and differernt Disc types..

Im not a fan of lead paint enemas myself, should i still visit your site?
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby ntscuser » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:19 am

Fartingbob wrote:Im not a fan of lead paint enemas myself, should i still visit your site?
That's Fred up to his old tricks again :lol:
ntscuser

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion