Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

US DOJ Gets 50th Warez Conviction

Discuss file-sharing news from other sites. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

US DOJ Gets 50th Warez Conviction

Postby LANjackal » Tue May 15, 2007 7:12 am

Story : http://www.betanews.com/article/print/U ... 1179179838

The United States Department of Justice has announced the 50th felony conviction as part of its Operation FastLink crackdown on warez groups operating on the Internet to illegally share music, movies, games and software. Christopher Eaves, 31, of Iowa Park, Texas, faces up to five years in prison, a fine of $250,000 and three years of supervised release.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Your_Mentor » Tue May 15, 2007 8:05 am

I got tons of mp3's from the scene group. Here is more about them, they actually did a good job where they didnt do many track fixes.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The correct title of this article is aPOCALYPSE pRODUCTION cREW. The initial letter is shown capitalized due to technical restrictions.

aPOCALYPSE pRODUCTION cREW
ASCII art logo for aPC designed by NFO artist rnz. The caption below reads: "You've been owned by the crew."
ASCII art logo for aPC designed by NFO artist rnz.
The caption below reads: "You've been owned by the crew."
Country United States
Years active May 1997–mid 2000s
Category mp3 warez
Founder(s) acid^rain
Viper

aPOCALYPSE pRODUCTION cREW (aPC) was a major MP3 warez organization founded by two individuals known under the pseudonyms acid^rain and Viper in May of 1997. aPC operated well into the mid 2000s and was subject to raid during Operation Fastlink — a coordination of four separate simultaneous undercover investigations by the FBI, the FBI Cyber Division, the U.S. Department of Justice, the Computer Crimes and Intellectual Property Section (CCIPS) of the Criminal Division and Interpol. aPC was known to many as the first organized group to put mp3s onto the internet. Their efforts predated the scene and started with composing midi versions of popular songs.

On August 21, 2003, Mark Shumaker (known by the pseudonym markalso), pleaded guilty to violating copyright laws and became the first federal criminal prosecution of someone who specialized in music piracy after having been raided in Operation Buccaneer. Shumaker was previously a leader of aPC, but at the time of the raid, he had retired his role. No members of aPC were raided as a part of Operation Buccaneer. They would five years later, however, be raided in Operation Fastlink which caused the disbanding of the group.
Your_Mentor

Re: US DOJ Gets 50th Warez Conviction

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Wed May 16, 2007 2:22 am

LANjackal wrote:Christopher Eaves, 31, of Iowa Park, Texas, faces up to five years in prison, a fine of $250,000 and three years of supervised release.

I'm constantly reading what penalties these guys face, but I've never actually read anywhere what penalty they actually received.
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Re: US DOJ Gets 50th Warez Conviction

Postby tark » Wed May 16, 2007 10:07 pm

piXelatedEmpire wrote:
LANjackal wrote:Christopher Eaves, 31, of Iowa Park, Texas, faces up to five years in prison, a fine of $250,000 and three years of supervised release.

I'm constantly reading what penalties these guys face, but I've never actually read anywhere what penalty they actually received.

Heres one at cybercrime.gov/abellSent.htm

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Attorney Johnny Sutton of the Western District of Texas announced today that a San Antonio, Texas man was sentenced to 15 months incarceration and 400 hours of community service for his role in an underground network that distributed pirated software, games, movies and music over the Internet.

Joshua Abell, 24, of San Antonio, Texas, was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Orlando L. Garcia. Abell, was also sentenced to two years of supervised release. He previously pleaded guilty to a two-count felony information charging copyright infringement and conspiracy to commit copyright infringement.

Abell one of 35 individuals convicted as a result of "Operation Fastlink," one of the largest multi-national law enforcement actions ever taken against online software piracy. Operation Fastlink, is the Department of Justice’s most aggressive and far-reaching criminal enforcement effort directed at intellectual property crime to date. Abell was one of the top four in his group. Abell’s group consisted of 175 members, of which 28 have been targeted for prosecution and 15 have already been convicted.. In April 2004 U.S. and foreign investigators conducted over 120 searches in 27 states and 11 foreign countries, including Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Israel, the Netherlands, Singapore, Sweden, Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Subsequent action was taken in Spain, bringing the total number of foreign nations involved to twelve. Nearly 100 individuals worldwide were identified by the investigation as leaders or high-level members of various international piracy organizations
tark

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Wed May 16, 2007 10:15 pm

wow 15 months in prison for sharing files :shock:
Were the group he was aprt of generating revenue from their actions?
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Re:

Postby tera7 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:15 am

piXelatedEmpire wrote:wow 15 months in prison for sharing files :shock:
Were the group he was aprt of generating revenue from their actions?

Most propably was somenthing very bad.Regular filesharers dont go to prison.
tera7

Return to File-Sharing News