Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Is it still safe to use utorrent?

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Is it still safe to use utorrent?

Postby altpdend » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:48 pm

Being that utorrent is now part of bittorent inc. and bittorrent has partnership with the mpaa. I am just being paranoid but the mpaa could use bittorent to monitor what ips are dl ul what torrents. I just can't find any other clients that works as well as utorrent expect bittornaado it does nothave dht support. I just like to know other peoples onpions on this.
altpdend

Postby LANjackal » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:03 pm

There are a million arguments for and against, all can be found in the original thread that announced uTorrent's sale.

However, none of the elite private trackers I know of have banned it - in fact, it's still the top recommended client almost everywhere (along with Azureus). Given that the content of these communities makes them the ones to fear an unsafe client the most, the fact that they continue to encourage its use is most likely a good indicator.

Yes, it could be a conspiracy. But the likelihood of that is vanishingly small. Keep using it.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby klondike » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:49 pm

If you want trust go for an open source application like Azureus.
klondike

Postby altpdend » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:50 pm

klondike wrote:If you want trust go for an open source application like Azureus.

it crashes all time
altpdend

Postby Wham » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:53 pm

The question you posed cries for an unbiased opinion. Is it safe? No, any P2P on the internet is not safe. But, I know what you are really asking and so I will simply agree that if you are downloading and uploading copyright material,and you don't get greedy, and you keep a constant vigal about what you are doing, you should be cool and probably will not be caught by the **AA's using utorrent. However, nothing you do is going to guarentee you won't get caught. There are too many variables and too many head hunters and hackers out there and their numbers continue to increase every day. P2P continues to get more dangerous with each passing day.
Wham

Postby Nutty-Slack » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:25 pm

There's no imperitive that you have to use latest versions.
v1.3 of uTorrent - for example - still works fine.

> Some older versions here <

If Azureus is crashing itself or your system then the chances are that you have a bad system or an anomally somewhere.
Try updating your Java for a start.

The MPAA/RIAA can snoop you whenever they feel the inclination (via their third-party network monitoring stooges), regardless of which client you're using. :wink:
Last edited by Nutty-Slack on Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quibus Societas Nobis Intemporaliter
Nutty-Slack

Postby ShawnSpree » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:34 pm

The creators of the bit torrent program couldnt create a better torrent program then utorrent. Low on resources, compact, and very friendly. So they bought it out so they can have a good torrent program that users could use or have used for their site.
ShawnSpree

Postby RadicalSatDude » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:45 am

Nutty-Slack wrote:If Azureus is crashing itself or your system then the chances are that you have a bad system or an anomally somewhere.
Try updating your Java for a start.

I agree, Azureus has never crashed on my system ever, yes ever!
RadicalSatDude

uTorrent is unsafe... maybe

Postby justabloke » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:50 am

Just received an e-mail from my ISP accusing me of sharing a copy of a TV program after they received an e-mail from MGM sighting my IP address. I only use uTorrent to share but of course I would never share copyrighted material (as that would be illegal).

Never had this problem in the past, seems strange that it would happen right after uTorrent is grabbed by BitTorrent
justabloke

Postby majinsoftware » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:03 am

Your bad luck lol, Think if it was Utorrent a whole lot of people would of been done now.
majinsoftware

Re: uTorrent is unsafe... maybe

Postby LANjackal » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:24 am

justabloke wrote:Just received an e-mail from my ISP accusing me of sharing a copy of a TV program after they received an e-mail from MGM sighting my IP address. I only use uTorrent to share but of course I would never share copyrighted material (as that would be illegal).

Never had this problem in the past, seems strange that it would happen right after uTorrent is grabbed by BitTorrent

Users have been receiving notifications before the uTorrent purchase, so the fact that you got one after the buy isn't significant.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic in your denial or not, but if you were actually sharing the file, what did you expect? Every BT client spits out the IP address of peers. It's not that hard to find you or anyone else.
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby enigmax » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:19 am

enigmax

Postby LurkinHawk » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:57 am

enigmax wrote:http://www.utorrent.com/

o oh :o

ROFLMFAOPIMP!!!!!!!!

Glad I actually paused to look over that page! 8)
LurkinHawk

Postby LANjackal » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:05 pm

enigmax wrote:http://www.utorrent.com/

o oh :o

Nice one. The alarmist crowd is going to shit their pants. Where are zim and GraphiX?

Speaking of which, where the fuck is zim?
LANjackal

Postby TorrentMama » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:08 pm

Zim wrote: slyck isnt worth time anymore. nobody ever learns. and they just keep repeating the same old shit on story after story. stagnant and boring.

and clueless

I do wish he would come back. :?
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby KingGeorge » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:16 pm

Utorrent was never safe since it was closed source and the way it was sold was shady as hell. Now their site links to the mpaa lol. Worth the risk? I think not and if you bitch azureus uses too much ram buy new sticks from newegg. Problem solved.
Last edited by KingGeorge on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
KingGeorge

Postby Draco888 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:28 pm

KingGeorge wrote:Utorrent was never safe since it was closed source and the way it was sold was shady as hell. Now their site links to the mpaa lol. Worth the risk? I think not and if you bitch azureus uses too much ram buy new sticks from newegg. Problem solved.

And clean your system of the old Java version(s) on it and clean install the latest, uses a lot less ram.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Draco888

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:30 pm

no matter what the prices are, some people can't afford to buy new hardware.
MrFredPFL

Postby LANjackal » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:35 pm

TorrentMama wrote:
Zim wrote: slyck isnt worth time anymore. nobody ever learns. and they just keep repeating the same old shit on story after story. stagnant and boring.

and clueless

I do wish he would come back. :?

He's missing the point of the site. It's about learning as well. I'm here as much to learn as I am to dispense advice and discuss. And I've learned a lot. P2P is practically all I do when I'm not working or partying, so...

anyway back to the topic.

USE UTORRENT!
LANjackal

Postby sunflower04 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:44 pm

i switched back to azureus, after using bitcomet for a long time. it isn't as light as utorrent, but it is still lighter then azureus.

also if you would rather use an older version of a bittorent application try oldversion.com .
sunflower04

Postby Duncker » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:59 pm

If you want stupid, try making sense of what Swebits.org just did. They banned utorrent 1.6.0 and older and only allow 1.6.1...

I guess Slyck needs to do even more rehashing of old news hehe..
Duncker

Worried about uTorrent

Postby TeHpWNaG3! » Thu May 31, 2007 6:05 pm

I've been using uTorrent for about 6 months, seed almost 24/7, and have an excellent upload ratio.

Two days ago, I received an "Unknown" Caller ID call to my house from "Road Runner Security" (Road Runner is the brand-name for my local Cable ISP, Time Warner Cable) asking me if I use a program called BitTorrent. I say, no. They ask if I use a wireless router. I say, yes, even though it is a hard line. They tell me that the MPAA informed them of my IP being tracked on 3 separate occasions with the most recent being May 23rd. and that they were informing me of this occurrence "for my benefit". I told them I would reboot my modem/PC and look for anything suspicious.

Here are the facts:
-They have my name, phone number, and have a great, but speculative, idea that I've been bad.
-I have not used uTorrent since.
-I still cannot confirm any such call was ever made by my ISP.

Questions:

-Why now? Did I hit some sort of magic number that deems me as a file-sharing big fish?

-If this was or wasn't my ISP, am I in pending doom? Will they seize my PC for proof?

-Should I be rebuilding my OS as we speak???

Anything would be appreciated!

Kind Regards,
pWN
TeHpWNaG3!

Postby IceCube » Thu May 31, 2007 6:16 pm

My advice is to avoid fresh "pop" releases - meaning, anything freshly released from the mainstream.

I'm just assuming you are also a major seeder of everything, so I assume that this could be a sign to at least slow down. Give UseNet a whirl.

I doubt this has anything to do with the particular client you use though.
IceCube

Postby KingGeorge » Thu May 31, 2007 7:25 pm

I decided recently to go back and take another look at utorrent. My initial opinion that utorrent is unsafe is now only even more reaffirmed to me. While testing the new build for a period of a week I have had over 400 suspicious action warnings from from my firewall and antispyware software. I have never once had even one warning from these programs while using azureus for over a year. It is very suspicious.
While copying an unreleased album for work, accidentally left a file-sharing site open on his computer. "Two guys in long black coats turned up at my work, trying to intimidate me." -Bob May British PR.
KingGeorge

Postby MookeyMookerson » Thu May 31, 2007 10:56 pm

P2P is practically all I do when I'm not working or partying, so...

I'm glad I'm not the only one (though I have to add studying to that list).
MookeyMookerson

Next

Return to BitTorrent