Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Timbaland can't make his own music

An area for general chat not related to file-sharing.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Timbaland can't make his own music

Postby raar » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4KX7SkDe4Q

A guy who is supposebly so talented shouldn't have to rip off someone's tune.
raar

Postby DepecheNode » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:00 pm

I LOVE it!
DepecheNode

Re: Timbaland can't make his own music

Postby Fartingbob » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:28 pm

raar wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4KX7SkDe4Q

Nelly furtado is a girl, a very sexy one at that.

Anyway, stealing other people's music is as old as recorded music itself. I doubt it will ever end, even the biggest names do it.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Re: Timbaland can't make his own music

Postby DepecheNode » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:26 pm

Fartingbob wrote: Nelly furtado is a girl, a very sexy one at that.

But 'timbaland' (the producer... the guy that arranged the music, and stole it) is a guy.
DepecheNode

Postby IceCube » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:06 pm

I can understand similar drum loops (lets face it, how many different combinations can you make in 4 bars?) I can also understand a melody having a resemblance to another. But this one clearly shows too much of a similarity to be just a coincidence.

Edit: and I know how hard it can be to get a good melody going. The main 'Space Rays' melody took me over two days to come up with. Day 1 consisted of the simpler version and day two (after a little 'rest' period in between) consisted of making the track a little more interesting. Actually making original work takes either a stroke of inspiration or a fair bit of hard work to pull off (when it comes to making something good)

But yeah, like I said, I'm not surprised this sort of stuff happens with Top40 music. I'm aware of other 'dirty' secrets like hiring actual tallent to produce the music, then simply not naming the other people involved in any obvious way whatsoever (frequently not at all) Either that, or simply taking a little too much from big music in small countries and making slight modifications to it.

Admitedly, this revelation was a new one on me.
IceCube

Postby malakai1911 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:32 pm

This is despicable.
malakai1911

Postby JolietJake » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:12 am

Seems to be very little original music left from major artists anymore. Its either them doing a cover of someone else's stuff or if its original its crap.
JolietJake

Postby zim » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:30 am

"stealing" is only ok when they do it.

when we do it.. we belong in jail.

thats the way of things... the golden rule.
he who has the gold, makes the rules.

Get used to it already...

You really think the riaa is gonna bitchslap this guy when hes even making a profit off his stolen works? ha.. yeah right... in an ideal world they would. in this world they will help protect him and argue he has a right to steal.

If you have money you can get away with anything. Even murder.
zim

Postby Vampirescu » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:30 pm

never even heard of the guy
Yar Har Fiddle De De, Being a Pirate is Alright With Me. Do What You Want Cause a Pirate is Free! You Are a Pirate!
Vampirescu

Postby Asuran » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:38 pm

If you listen to it closely, you can hear the exact same thing playing in the background in timbaland's version, only on lower volume.
Asuran

Postby TorrentMama » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:29 pm

I'm pissed that I heard either version. they both sucked & I think my ears are now bleeding.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby IceCube » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:50 pm

I thought the .mod version wasn't bad. It's not exactly the easiest thing in the world to pack a song into a 57kb file.
IceCube

Postby Drake » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:20 pm

I don't know... all that hippity hop sounds pretty much the same to me. ;)
Drake

Postby Myrak » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Captain Copyright would be outraged! :o
curbside prophet|tag|nsane productions
Myrak

Postby Vampirescu » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:40 am

wonder if he downloaded the song, better inform the riaa
Yar Har Fiddle De De, Being a Pirate is Alright With Me. Do What You Want Cause a Pirate is Free! You Are a Pirate!
Vampirescu

Postby WarezNewz » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:48 am

I need to do some research to be 100% sure but I have a nagging feeling that the sound engine employed by the original artist was actually ripped from a commercially produced computer game.

But Timberland is the one profiting so he can get screwed.

Sorry. I meant Timbaland :roll:
WarezNewz

Postby IceCube » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:16 am

WarezNewz wrote:I need to do some research to be 100% sure but I have a nagging feeling that the sound engine employed by the original artist was actually ripped from a commercially produced computer game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOD_%28file_format%29

It can be made with open source technology actually.
IceCube

Postby WarezNewz » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:28 am

the MOD format is an open format (containing as it does midi-like messages and the ability to store samples within also) but this song/sample by Timbaland was taken from the commodore64 SID-chip version of the track which I believe uses the sound engine utilised by Martin Galway working for Ocean software

As a 17-year-old schoolkid in 1983, Martin Galway used to write music for the BBC Micro, while some of his friends made games. Soon Martin realized that they could even make money, and approached Ocean Software. They liked the game (a Pac-Man clone), and Martin offered his skills as a musician.

Ocean were so impressed with his tunes that they let him borrow a complete assembly language development system, and he started composing right away.

During the eighties, Martin made music for many of the popular Commodore 64 games, and became one of the most famous SID artists. Galway is best known for his soaring, anthemic compositions, for making heavy use of the SID chip's ring modulation feature, and for compostions which made unconventional changes to SID register settings while notes were playing (producing his trademark echoey sound).

http://www.transbyte.org/SID/HVSC_Top100.html#download

Listen to any of the Martin Galway tracks in this list (made with the Ocean engine) and you will notice the similarity in the sounds generated when compared to the track we are discussing, particularly the 'trademark echoey sound'

You'll need a SID player to listen to the sid tracks.

that said, its quite bizarre and typically hacker-anal to use the C64 hardware/software to produce music when you have access to the superior setup of the Amiga. You could expect a track made in 2000 to be done on the latest hardware but no, lets use the 16 year old C64 ;) Long-live demo-sceners!
WarezNewz

Postby Peckinpah » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:55 am

*gosh* the player is nothing like galway's. it's 'SDI', developed by GRG. and no ... it doesn't sound like it either.

"for making heavy use of the SID chip's ring modulation feature, and for compostions which made unconventional changes to SID register settings while notes were playing (producing his trademark echoey sound)."

*every* fairly recent player is able to do that. why should one borrow something as outdated as the ocean engine? that's bollocks.
Peckinpah

Postby IceCube » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:34 am

*bump*

An update has surfaced (I know, I'm two months late on this) Apparently, the update consists of Timbaland and the same song by Tempest.

The song was sold a year earlier as an "original" ringtone (entitled 'Block Party'). The video was posted on YouTube and does a quick comparison of the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV2fTEeP6GM

So in actuality, he ripped off the artist twice on the same song. :roll:
IceCube

Postby senseispab » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:35 am

He turned a computer game ditty into a pop track.

big deal.
senseispab

Postby Kitlope » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:20 am

The real tragedy is sweet innocent Nelly Furtado has turned herself into another typical MTV whore.
Kitlope

Postby HEAT84 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:10 am

Kitlope wrote:The real tragedy is sweet innocent Nelly Furtado has turned herself into another typical MTV whore.

Couldn't agree more. As far as her music goes at least.

Has that Timbaland guy ever done any solo stuff or does he always have to leech/mooch off of other artists. He reminds me of Maya. She only did collaborations.
Then she did release a solo album then I guess she disappeared. Though I don't watch MTV anymore so maybe she's still around.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Return to Lounge