Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Why do people signup with Giganews?

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Who is your favorite Usenet Provider

Easynews
No votes
Newshosting
26%
Powerusenet
No votes
Giganews
55%
UsenetSever
3%
Other
16%

Total votes : 31

Why do people signup with Giganews?

Postby MrKnightrider » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:53 pm

I have been a huge fan of the usenet for a long time, even though it is a pay service, I think it is the best and fastest way to get movies, software, etc. That being said, even after being on this forum for a while and reading relevant threads, one thing has always confused me. I still don't understand why so many people use GigaNews. Giganews is the most expensive usenet provider I have seen, why would people use them at all when you can find the same service with a provider like Newshosting? (using them as an example because that is who I use)

Newshosting for example is quite a bit cheaper and they have 90 day retention using NZBs, same as Giganews, so why do people use them?
MrKnightrider

Postby carcassfan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:14 pm

why would people use them at all when you can find the same service with a provider like Newshosting?

they are entirely different services. there are at least half a dozen threads here of people complaining about newshosting speed issues. I havent seen 1 complaint for Giganews. I have used both services for lengthy periods of time (at least 6 months each). Not a single time have i had so much of a hiccup from giganews. Newshosting on the other hand was a nightmare. Constant speed fluctuations, billing issues, and one of the worst customer service teams I have ever dealt with. Bottom line is that you get what you pay for. If your 100% happy with newshosting consider yourself lucky.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."

-Ted Nugent

God Bless America!
Tekk wrote:most of the things being pirated are obscure mexican bands
carcassfan

Postby zim » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:05 am

You get what you pay for.

The highest retention, the best speeds, the largest group selection, the least bullshit.

And i've never needed to talk to giganews about any issue. I pay my bill and leech all i want without any problems.

And its only a couple bucks more. it's worth it.
zim

Postby Borzht » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:33 am

zim wrote:You get what you pay for.
The highest retention, the best speeds, the largest group selection, the least bullshit.

And SSL too (though it costs an extra $5 per month :( ). If, for whatever reason, you don't trust that your ISP won't snarf your downloading record, it can be pretty useful. Given that we're now entering the days when the copyrights holders and the ISPs are owned by the same companies, having a little bit of confidentiality is probably a good thing.

Still shouldn't cost any more cash though. Greedy buggers...

--Bzt
Borzht

Postby laffomatic » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:24 am

I'm paying 7 euro a month for a provider with 70 days retention and a good completion rate. I don't really see any reason to use giganews. And btw, ssl is a complete waste of money but its a good way for giganews to get even more money with their overpriced subscriptions.
laffomatic

Postby king8654 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:27 am

Didnt think Giganews would be that much better than newshosting, but after i decided to give the diamond + ssl package a shot, I would never go back. Ill not smoke a few packs of cigs a month to pay the bill, and thats alot to give up for me.
"Pirating when its legal is like getting a vasectomy. Its not fun without the venom."
http://www.myweddingisover.com - Wedding/Relationship Based Auction Site
king8654

Postby fut » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:29 pm

I checked 'other'. I have a Giganews account but almost never use it because I don't need it. I'm used to downloading from my ISP server which has 10 days retention. If I need more than 10 days, then I'm guilty of not paying attention to what is being posted. The ISP server has spotty completion so some pieces are automatically filled in from slow free public news servers, a process that is invisible to me and therefore no problem at all. I don't need anything better, and so most of the GB's I download from newsgroups come from my own ISP's network backbone over a few hops, instead of 9-10 hops away from a pay server like Giganews. Actually I don't pay them because some time ago, Giganews contacted me and offered to give me a free account in exchange for putting an advertising text link on my high traffic web page. So I have a free Diamond (+ SSL) account that sits there unused; I just don't need it.
fut

Postby MrKnightrider » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:19 pm

I have seen the speed threads about newhosting, but I have only actually had a problem once with my speeds, contacted support and they had me change the port and that solved the problem, having to do something as simple as that is still better than paying the Giganews prices, I was thinking about checking out easynews because a guy on here told me they had a really cool web interface to download stuff, is it any good?
MrKnightrider

Postby Kenrin » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:52 pm

i can see why people use giganews if they have the money to blow. They are always up have the highest number of retention and always give a very fast speed.

personally i'll take the cheaper provider. newshosting had some hiccups and outages sometimes and speed issues where i had to change my port so i went to powerusenet for awhile which was very great. now i'm with megabitz which is even cheaper than newshosting at $14. if i didn't care about an extra 11 bucks a month i'd go back with giganews.
Kenrin

Return to NewsGroups