Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

The Pirate Party Ramps up for 2008

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

The Pirate Party Ramps up for 2008

Postby lordfoul » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:25 pm

The Pirate Party of the United States, based upon Sweden's Piratpatiet, is seeking grass roots leadership as well as potential candidates for the 2008 elections. The PPUS's formation on June 6th, 2006, precipitated by the Piratebay raid in Sweden, is actively seeking individuals to represent the party in their area whether that be civically, by state or even nationally according to a recent announcement on The Pirate Party's US website.

“People who are wanting to run under the United States Pirate Party 'flag' in 2008 either nationally, state, or locally you MUST get approval by the board. Getting approval allows you to receive funding from the PPUS, help campaigning, and help getting on the ballot."

The PPUS board consists of David Sigal and Joshua Cowles; the former a student of computational sciences at the U of C and the latter a student of international politics in Oshkosk.

This new United States chapter of The Pirate Party, founded by Brent Allison and Alex English, upholds the simple philosophy “- the government should encourage, rather than smother, creativity and freedom” and hopes to reform laws surrounding telecom and intellectual property that have been subverted by the government and give personal privacy back to the people.

According to the PPUS's website registration to become an official member of the party will be between two and four weeks. Additionally in order to become a card carrying member of the PPUS one must first agree to uphold the, tentatively worded, Points of Unity which state:

“We gather to change laws, not break them
We strive to use Copyright law to promote Progress
We strive for more privacy and less invasion of it by government and private business
We aim for a Patent system that rewards Innovation
We work against people losing control of the devices and software they own
Not every action conducted by each local chapter necessarily reflects the positions of the national Pirate Party.”

Though the PPUS is less than a year old it would seem it hasn't taken them long to organize and take action. It will be interesting to see if the US chapter of the Pirate Party can have the success of the
Piratpatiet has had, which now has as many members as the Green Party in Sweden.

The PPUS has scheduled a "big" IRC <a href=http://memwiki.pirate-party.us/index.php/IRC_meetings target=_blank>meeting</a> on January 2nd, 2007 at 8 pm EST.
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby king8654 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:57 pm

Got My Vote :twisted:
"Pirating when its legal is like getting a vasectomy. Its not fun without the venom."
http://www.myweddingisover.com - Wedding/Relationship Based Auction Site
king8654

Postby youare1 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:05 pm

I have been hoping for a long time that there would finally be a pirate party in the US. After all it is the US that started all of this copyright BS in the first place.
youare1

Postby Praxis » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:25 pm

Hell, Id vote for them - that is if I were an american.

I really doubt it will succeed in its goals to win. Just like the Green party in Canada only 2% of the entire nation voted for them.
Praxis

Postby cacahead » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:58 pm

Hell, I'd vote for them along with my dead uncle. They wont win an election for at least 50 years, but at least it would take away votes from certain political parties. This in turn would make that party/parties come the the conclusion that they need to modernize some of the current positions in regards to copyright reform. Maybe they (congressmen) would actually start voting the way their constituents want.

Then again, maybe I'm just smoking some good crack tonight. :x
cacahead

Postby JolietJake » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:19 am

I'd rather throw away a vote on a party that has no chance than vote for one that will just continue screwing me over.
JolietJake

Postby curzlgt » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:25 am

Nice article lordfoul :)

I really dislike our two party system most of the time :(
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Why?

Postby GrymRpr » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:09 am

With respects to lordfoul..
What a Bunch of BS.
The reality is, those with money Make & Break the rules when they wish.

When The Pirate Party was announced I laughed.
When The Pirate Party of the United States was announced I really hurt myself laughing.

Hell... The Green Party can't even get weed legalized or even pick Presidential Candidate thats not gone off the deep end and "The Pirate Party" thinks they will do better?
The Pirate Party has nowhere near the deep pockets that other Party's have.
"He with the most cash wins"
Simple Math... has been that way for thousands of years.
Money=Power

But thanks for the laugh
:wink:
GrymRpr

Re: Why?

Postby youare1 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:16 am

GrymRpr wrote:With respects to lordfoul..
What a Bunch of BS.
The reality is, those with money Make & Break the rules when they wish.

When The Pirate Party was announced I laughed.
When The Pirate Party of the United States was announced I really hurt myself laughing.

Hell... The Green Party can't even get weed legalized or even pick Presidential Candidate thats not gone off the deep end and "The Pirate Party" thinks they will do better?
The Pirate Party has nowhere near the deep pockets that other Party's have.
"He with the most cash wins"
Simple Math... has been that way for thousands of years.
Money=Power

But thanks for the laugh

It has to start somepalce. Nobody said that they would win a presidential campaign.....though the way Bush has run the country, Micky Mouse would be a better candidate.
youare1

Re: Why?

Postby lordfoul » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:09 am

GrymRpr wrote:With respects to lordfoul..
What a Bunch of BS.

The Pirate Party is based upon Sweden's Piratpaiteit
The Pirate Party is seeking grass roots leadership
The Pirate Party is seeking potential candidates for the 2008 elections
The PPUS was formed June 6th, 2006
The formation of the PPUS was precipitated by the Piratebay raid in Sweden
The PPUS is actively seeking party representation from the grassroots with civic, state and national ambitions.
Persons wanting to run as PPUS candidates must receive approval from the PPUS's board.
The PPUS's board consists of David Sigal and Joshue Cowles.
The PPUS was founded by Brent Allison and Alex English.
The PPUS upholds the philosopy "government should encourage, rather than smother, creativity and freedom”
The PPUS hope to reform IP, telecom and privacy laws.
To become an official member of the PPUS one must agree to the "Points of Unity" mandate.
Registration for the PPUS is set to commence in 2 to 4 weeks.
The PPUS is less than a year old, and having begun organizing not less than 7 months after foramtion , it could be reasonably said it "hasn't taken them long to organize" - Granted a statement of subjectivity, but proofed nonetheless.
"It will be interesting to see if the US chapter of the Pirate Party can have the success of the
Piratpatiet has had, which now has as many members as the Green Party in Sweden." - A statement of inquiry.
The PPUS has an IRC meeting on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8 pm EST.

What BS, in the same breath as my name, were you referring to exactly? As far as I know I just reported the facts, and pontificated about the party's future; I didn't take a position at all.
lordfoul

Postby IceCube » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:09 am

I think he just doesn't like the idea of voting for someone who would be more likely to stand up for his rights, etc. Nothing wrong with your reporting LF. :)
IceCube

Postby WarezNewz » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:11 am

I presume that GrymRpr isn't referring to your article as BS rather the whole notion of having a Pirate Party.

Campaigning for a government that "should encourage, rather than smother, creativity and freedom” is a noble cause worth chasing but trying to do it with the word 'pirate' anywhere near your work is giving everyone an unfair disadvantage.

And guarantees failure. A disappointing waste.
tigercat wrote:I just got 2 e-mails from my ISP notifying me of DMCA violations

IceCube wrote:I don't normally suggest this, but have you considered moving to another country perhapse? Just wondering.
WarezNewz

Postby multivariable » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:22 am

WarezNewz has nailed it. There was nothing in lordfoul's reporting that could be construed as bullshit; it was a brilliant example of objectivity.

GrymRpr was simply being pragmatic and realistic.

Pirate Parties are not going to made a shred of difference to anything, because no-one will vote for them.

The two-party system is not going anywhere, and I'd argue that it's preferable to a system where the vote is diluted among a number of minor parties, none of which could realistically expect a mandate anyway. At least it's not quite a one-party sytem.

Not to mention the fact that not that enough Americans could be bothered to turn up to vote anyway.
multivariable

Postby AlexanderHanff » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:02 am

multivariable wrote:WarezNewz has nailed it. There was nothing in lordfoul's reporting that could be construed as bullshit; it was a brilliant example of objectivity.

Pirate Parties are not going to made a shred of difference to anything, because no-one will vote for them.

The two-party system is not going anywhere, and I'd argue that it's preferable to a system where the vote is diluted among a number of minor parties, none of which could realistically expect a mandate anyway. At least it's not quite a one-party sytem.

Not to mention the fact that not that enough Americans could be bothered to turn up to vote anyway.

Clearly you didn't pay any attention to the recent elections in the US then? Voter turnout was incredibly high, as high as 70%+ in some areas and seemed to average in excess of 50%.

Obviously it would be nice if every used their right to vote, but the turnout in the recent elections should be welcomed, especially given the effect it had on the political structure of the US.
AlexanderHanff

Postby TorrentMama » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:18 am

multivariable wrote:Pirate Parties are not going to made a shred of difference to anything, because no-one will vote for them.

It's true. I'm the biggest backer of their ideas but I'm not going to waste a vote especially here in Florida where elections are so tight.

AlexanderHanff wrote:Clearly you didn't pay any attention to the recent elections in the US then? Voter turnout was incredibly high, as high as 70%+ in some areas and seemed to average in excess of 50%.

Historically the data shows that the 18-24 group never makes a show at the polls. And it is this group that needs to show to even make a radar blip's difference.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby multivariable » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:30 am

AlexanderHanff wrote:Clearly you didn't pay any attention to the recent elections in the US then? Voter turnout was incredibly high, as high as 70%+ in some areas and seemed to average in excess of 50%.

I paid a great deal of attention to the recent American elections, thank you very much, as should any citizen of vassal country such as my own, since it's going to determine our own foreign policy for the next two years.

Any country that can boast a voter turnout as 'incredibly high' as 70%, let alone a stupendous 'average in excess of 50%' needs to have a long hard look at itself. The very fact that you think this is acceptable proves my point.

But I'm forgetting: It's your democratic right to not give a fuck who controls your 'democracy'
multivariable

No Offence ment

Postby GrymRpr » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

What BS, in the same breath as my name, were you referring to exactly? As far as I know I just reported the facts, and pontificated about the party's future; I didn't take a position at all.

That BS Comment had nothing to do with your Report.

I Call BS on the Idea that "Pirate Party" is gonna make any difference in the USA.

In this time of fear mongering and the slow stealthy removal of personal freedoms in the name of national security does anyone even think they will make a difference?
Are the huge Multi-National Conglomerates based here In the US gonna give them money?

Again, Money=Power

WarezNewz
Campaigning for a government that "should encourage, rather than smother, creativity and freedom” is a noble cause worth chasing but trying to do it with the word 'pirate' anywhere near your work is giving everyone an unfair disadvantage.

And guarantees failure. A disappointing waste.

"A disappointing waste."

Yup.. A waste of time,effort and cash.
Anything would have been better than a Skull & CrossBones.... Off the top of my head.. The Freedom Party would have been a better choice.
The *perceived* Image of Pirates is not a good one.
Either its one of Dirty thieves sailing the seven seas or one of Thief's stealing software/movies and selling said software/movies

multivariable

I wouldn't go that far Multi...
I'm sure they will pick up some scraps from the Green Party...

AlexanderHanff
Well... I was gonna comment on your post but
multivariable did a good job so .....

Now don't get me wrong.. The Ideals they stand for are Admiral but...
GrymRpr

Postby nbx909 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:53 pm

I'm glad to see slyck picked up this story, we are in need of local organizers we have decided that it's the easiest way to get ballot access. If we do not get ballot access in your area we plan on running the candidates officially as independents, however, you and I would know that they are the Pirate Party candidate-- they would just be listed as independent on the ballot. Also please attend those IRC meetings it's the easiest way to gauge what you guys want and the easiest way to contact us since all or most of the board members are present at these meetings. Also in addition to candidates, if you are a web designer we could use your help with the redesign see the original post from which this story was taken from at http://pirate-party.us/node/334 for more information.
Thanks

nbx909
Head Moderator of the IRC chat, Forums, and Wiki
United States Pirate Party
nbx909

Postby IceCube » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:15 pm

multivariable wrote:Pirate Parties are not going to made a shred of difference to anything, because no-one will vote for them.

Kinda like the Swedish example where every party changed their platform on Copyright issues because of their presence in the election.
IceCube

Postby vtwin0001 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:03 am

Everything about this sounds very good, however:

the US is not Sweden (Sweden has an educational level greater than the US --by far) thus, this can affect in the following ways:

Many US ppl (who live outside the cities) will vote for Republicans... because they have very high morale (vs. good old Democrats).

Democrats have always win in big cities (in both recent election), 'cause ppl have realized that they need their freedom and need GWB out of the WH ASAP.

I think the most healthy way to get into the US political system and reform IP, telecom and privacy laws is thru congress.

Your best bet is goto the young voters group (ppl between 18 ~ 35 yrs old) to get into congress, at least a minority in there could make a great change.

You MUST use a very very smart marketing campaign or else nothing would be done.

I think it was a mistake creating the party on 6-6-06, this will leave most of the christian downloader community out (they'll think you're wither satanic or the devil.. or I dunno what :roll: )
Did you know that Pulp Fiction cost $8 million to make - $5 million going to actor's salaries?
vtwin0001

Postby napho » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:02 am

Looks like the Pirate Party has a built in constituency in the US. :wink:

napho

Postby lordfoul » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:08 am

Hmm you spent some time on this hey. :roll:

http://caseylartigue.blogspot.com/katri ... riends.jpg

Sad really.
lordfoul

Postby napho » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:24 am

lordfoul wrote:Hmm you spent some time on this hey. :roll:

http://caseylartigue.blogspot.com/katri ... riends.jpg

Sad really.

Got it on Google. Maybe THIS one is more appropriate in the left leaning thread.

napho

Postby DepecheNode » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:52 am

Republicans win outside cities because most of those voters are hard workers who's tax dollars tend to buttress programs that'll never reach them.

Democrats win inside cities because the nature of a city is 'commonwealth'. Cities draw communal types.

Third party candidates can win. I'm reminded of Jesse Ventura's (I) run and win for Minnesota Governor, and his appointment of Dean Barkley (I) when Paul Wellstone (D) was killed in a plane crash.

Anything can happen with charisma. That's your key. Unfortunately, you will be bombarded by "I hate GWB" types (extreme leftist) for the party to become a viable political factor. If you can control this, and support only candidates who can stand silent on the other guy and only push your agenda, you might have a chance for civil matching funds.

That's your first step.

DepecheNode

Postby Andu » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:01 pm

vtwin0001 wrote:Everything about this sounds very good, however:

the US is not Sweden (Sweden has an educational level greater than the US --by far) thus, this can affect in the following ways:

Many US ppl (who live outside the cities) will vote for Republicans... because they have very high morale (vs. good old Democrats).

Democrats have always win in big cities (in both recent election), 'cause ppl have realized that they need their freedom and need GWB out of the WH ASAP.

I think the most healthy way to get into the US political system and reform IP, telecom and privacy laws is thru congress.

Your best bet is goto the young voters group (ppl between 18 ~ 35 yrs old) to get into congress, at least a minority in there could make a great change.

You MUST use a very very smart marketing campaign or else nothing would be done.

I think it was a mistake creating the party on 6-6-06, this will leave most of the christian downloader community out (they'll think you're wither satanic or the devil.. or I dunno what :roll: )

I have heard that recently it was found that the number of the devil in the original scriptures isn't 666 but 616. Supposed to be some kind of translation mistake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_ ... #_note-oxy
Andu

Next

Return to Slyck News